Making The Black Knight Work Again

10 replies to this topic

#1 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

Hi all! I just returned to the game after a long break. In my absence, my Black Knight appears to have undergone a growth spurt. Is he still a solid mech? If so, how do you set him up. I cannot imagine that he is XL friendly.

Thanks!

#2 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

I only own one, but its not too bad. Ive only had a handful of games in, but it does seem to me fairly Xl friendly considering ive got an xl 340 in mine bc its what i had on hand when i bought it.

Just my 2 cents

#3 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

I also think it is okay, but I am struggling to find what it does better, or in regard to taking damage, better than my Warhammers. It is 5 tons heavier and does not seem to compare well these days with the Warhammer or even the equally tall Grasshopper which both have places on my drop deck.

A lot of under-performance compared to the 70 tonners can be tied to hard point placement that is not going to change. The mech seems way too tall for a heavy...which makes it seem slower and sluggish even though it isn't. It also makes it a much bigger target than the Warhammer or the often under-appreciated Thunderbolt. Given these weaknesses, I am doubting that new tech can even make the Black Knight better than average.

#4 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

The Black Knight was lackluster at launch primarily because of its hulking size, and that's been exacerbated even more now.

It needed the crazy quirks to compensate for its shortcomings. Now those are gone.

#5 radiv

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:36 AM

View PostVaskadar, on 19 March 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:

The Black Knight was lackluster at launch primarily because of its hulking size, and that's been exacerbated even more now.

It needed the crazy quirks to compensate for its shortcomings. Now those are gone.

You really mean The Black Knight was lackluster? Before the nerf id say it was close to the best heavy

#6 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:05 AM

My Black knight don't do a lot of good these days... after the change i'm more or less switched to my warhammer, cataphract and rifleman doing better results.

#7 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:45 PM

View Postradiv, on 20 March 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

You really mean The Black Knight was lackluster? Before the nerf id say it was close to the best heavy

Before its quirks were buffed (basically immediately post-release) it was lackluster, then it became the best heavy, then it got resized and nerfed and now it's not so great again.

#8 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

View Postradiv, on 20 March 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

Pre-superquirk Black Knight was painful.

#9 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:11 AM

I'm still seeing Laser Vomit Black Knights, but they have become less after Quirk pass and resizing. More Warhammers this days or mediums and Battlemasters

#10 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:28 AM

After the mass scale IS Hvy/Light resize (which, IMO, screwed IS mechs badly), the Black Knight is not a T1 mech anymore - It's a T2 mech. It's too tall and every hitbox is that much bigger/wider. I mean it sees clearly over an Atlas/Kodiak etc.

It's still a good mech but it's mounts now are low given how "tall" it's become.

#11 R E S P E K

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

Black Knight has always lived and died by its quirks.
It is still viable(ish) but for pure IS laser vomit the Whammy 6D wins. Weighs less and has far superior weapon locations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users