Ppc's And Me: Critique Me So I Can Improve

6 replies to this topic

#1 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

I had a game yesterday where I think I did decently well, overall. However, I know there are things I can be doing better. Since I hardly ever use PPC's, they're still pretty new to me as a weapon system.

I've been running them on a Phoenix Hawk, and though something heavier may be better (more heatsinks), the Phoenix Hawk is a mech I know.

Things I already know to improve:

1.) Accuracy. Missed shots are missed damage, and a waste of perfectly good heat.

2.) Heat management. I shut down twice in the video because I wasn't paying as close attention to my heat % as I should have been. That's two times too many.

3.) I know it's a Locust, not a Raven. For some reason, my brain said Raven, so I went with it.

Due to the weight of the mech, and relative lack of heatsinks, am I better using one ER-PPC and backing it up with medium lasers; or do I swap to regular PPC's with their reduced heat, and back them up with lasers as well? Or, do I need to chain fire the twin ER-PPC for better all around heat management?

At what % of heat should I be looking to hide for a moment or two to cool down? I usually go with around 75%, but maybe that's too high?

Thanks one and all for your suggestions, critiques, and advice on how to improve with this weapon system.

#2 Poptimus Rhyme Wallace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

Adressing your Questions first:
1 PPC + 1 ERPPC is generally better than 2 of either on lighter mechs IMO, they both work at medium-long range, and re-firing a single ERPPC at short or extreme range should be manageable.
Fire both when your heat is good and the target is in good decent condition, A target that is close to death is better to chain-fire at as you did with the Cicada, with the two different PPCs the heat will be easier in pressured situations.

Hide between every shot, it lets you cool of a bit and avoid detection, thou when the enemy cant return fire due to range and is in the open feel free to just bob from side to side as you rain hell on them repeatedly.
Change position if the enemy returns fire or you get the heat alarm, keep them guessing.

Nice work with the Peeps there, only 1 thing to add here, lock your arms for better focus of your shots, you can always unlock them on the fly if things get close up and hairy.
Oh also when changing positions break LOS, at 00:26 you run in view of the enemy to a new position rather than swinging back and emerging unseen.

Edited by Poptimus Rhyme Wallace, 18 March 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#3 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:40 PM

Not sure about your build but if the PPCs are torso mounted, strip armor off the arms to squeeze in more DHS.

Stayed busy whih is good, aim will improve over time.

Considerations:
Instead of walking up and cresting over a ridgeline to shoot(like you did early match), stay just below cresting and use your JJ to 'Poptart' up, clear just enough terrain, and shoot. You then drop back into cover.

Twist after you shoot. Use your arms and deadside to shield.

Dont get tunnel vision when things get busy, shoulda focused that Stormcrow instead of the gimped Kodiak 3/4ths through the match.

Overall, not bad.

#4 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

View PostPoptimus Rhyme Wallace, on 18 March 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Adressing your Questions first:
1 PPC + 1 ERPPC is generally better than 2 of either on lighter mechs IMO, they both work at medium-long range, and re-firing a single ERPPC at short or extreme range should be manageable.
Fire both when your heat is good and the target is in good decent condition, A target that is close to death is better to chain-fire at as you did with the Cicada, with the two different PPCs the heat will be easier in pressured situations.

Hide between every shot, it lets you cool of a bit and avoid detection, thou when the enemy cant return fire due to range and is in the open feel free to just bob from side to side as you rain hell on them repeatedly.
Change position if the enemy returns fire or you get the heat alarm, keep them guessing.

Nice work with the Peeps there, only 1 thing to add here, lock your arms for better focus of your shots, you can always unlock them on the fly if things get close up and hairy.
Oh also when changing positions break LOS, at 00:26 you run in view of the enemy to a new position rather than swinging back and emerging unseen.

I'll definitely look into the PPC/ER-PPC combo. I hadn't thought of that before.

I hadn't thought to re-bind the arm lock key, and now that you mention it, it really does make a lot of sense. I do need to be a little more mindful in my movements, and think about my travel route--and not put myself in so full of view.

View PostInspectorG, on 18 March 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

Not sure about your build but if the PPCs are torso mounted, strip armor off the arms to squeeze in more DHS.

Stayed busy whih is good, aim will improve over time.

Considerations:
Instead of walking up and cresting over a ridgeline to shoot(like you did early match), stay just below cresting and use your JJ to 'Poptart' up, clear just enough terrain, and shoot. You then drop back into cover.

Twist after you shoot. Use your arms and deadside to shield.

Dont get tunnel vision when things get busy, shoulda focused that Stormcrow instead of the gimped Kodiak 3/4ths through the match.

Overall, not bad.

I don't often think to poptart. Used to be it was a pariah in those closed beta days, so I think I subconsciously avoid it. Though it's certainly a very valid movement.

You're right about the tunnel vision. Always something I need to work on, and knowing when to switch targets to begin softening up another, is important.

#5 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

I've used PPCs a bit but found them to be too hot for my playstyle. As for suggestions.

You do a good job of moving around but you could dish out more damage if you peeked and fired your high mount more often. This would keep the heat under control while you reposition and keep your gun firing. I tend to try and keep my guns firing more often but carry fewer weapons and have more DHS. That may not fit your style though.

Agreed with a previous comment that you should keep your arms locked unless you need to move them separately. Just helps keep your aiming more on target.

You have ERPPCs but you stayed in fairly close range. Maybe consider switching to PPCs instead if that is your normal fight range. Otherwise you should stay farther back so you can keep up more fire and react quicker to enemy movement.

#6 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

Use your PPC's in two groups, Mouse button one, Fire Linked, Mouse button 2, chain fire. If you get close to heating up, but still have a shot, you can easily fire just one PPC and save some heat.

They do generate a lot of heat, suffer from convergence issues and hit reg can be terrible. PPC's also do splash damage and are a good weapong for poking/trading. Harder to brawl with them though, due to the heat.

Edited by BigScwerl, 30 March 2017 - 08:28 AM.

#7 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

PPCs are "alpha" weapons, not "DPS" weapons. Shoot and scoot. They shine if you mount no more than one (or at most two regular) on a light or medium chassis. Heavier mechs have the tonnage to devote to enough DHSs to start considering three or four. Check out the Awesome and its tasty PPC quirks. You can put four on there and fire two at a time and if you keep a good eye on your heat management, then you can pretty much keep up a constant fire for the whole match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users