Gtx980M Users Help

9 replies to this topic

#1 Eyes On You

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:29 AM

Hello guys.

I got a laptop from Asus ROG series.Its ROG-G752VY [color=#18293C]Intel Core i7-6700HQ [/color]gtx980m(4gb ddr5) and 16gb ram.(gpu driver 362,60)

I am not so computer expert but i do understand enough :) Problem is i can not play MWO with high settings.When i drop to game fps is around 60-70 and when i enter to brawl its dropping to 30-35 and its never stable.

I made a clean installion,using right drivers from web page and installed the updates.Also i play other games like withcer 3 etc fps is stable 50 with ultra settings.

I am reading forums to find a soliton but could not find a gtx980m user.Do i got a problem or is MWO like this...

Need help,i am little pissed of :S :(

Thanks for your time.

#2 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:41 AM

View PostEyes On You, on 19 March 2017 - 04:29 AM, said:

Hello guys.

I got a laptop from Asus ROG series.Its ROG-G752VY [color=#18293C]Intel Core i7-6700HQ [/color]gtx980m(4gb ddr5) and 16gb ram.(gpu driver 362,60)

I am not so computer expert but i do understand enough Posted Image Problem is i can not play MWO with high settings.When i drop to game fps is around 60-70 and when i enter to brawl its dropping to 30-35 and its never stable.

I made a clean installion,using right drivers from web page and installed the updates.Also i play other games like withcer 3 etc fps is stable 50 with ultra settings.

I am reading forums to find a soliton but could not find a gtx980m user.Do i got a problem or is MWO like this...

Need help,i am little pissed of :S Posted Image

Thanks for your time.

strange oO? intel cpu, good gpu.
i got similar fps behavior and i am on an i5 6600k and gtx750ti mostly very high settings with postAA, except shadows medium particles medium.What anti aliasing you use? because txaa and msaa really dips performance, when i use fps goes down really hard.

Edit: but your card shoud be capable of handling the higher AA settings....

Edited by SHRedo, 19 March 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#3 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

The 6700HQ base frequency is only like 2.6GhZ with a 3.5GhZ turbo. Run medium particles and shadows, should mellow it out. Turn environment to medium as well and it should be pretty stable. You can also look into the various tweaks to the CPU behavior to keep the CPU more busy (processor lasso or the like plus a change to the power level).

#4 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

the GTX980M is equal to the desktop version GTX770 but with 4GB of VRAM vs the GTX770 2GB VRAM limit

you should be able to update the GPU drivers to the newest version 378.78 WHQL

http://www.nvidia.co...px/115892/en-us

also download afterburner

http://www.guru3d.co...a-download.html

use that to monitor the CPU load and GPU temps

like xWired says dont go high on particles and shadows

set your power profile to high performance and also in the nVidia Control Panel

make sure the 64bit game client on launch is set to high performance mode

be sure you are running the 64bit client and also set DX11 by default

View PostxWiredx, on 19 March 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

The 6700HQ base frequency is only like 2.6GhZ with a 3.5GhZ turbo. Run medium particles and shadows, should mellow it out. Turn environment to medium as well and it should be pretty stable. You can also look into the various tweaks to the CPU behavior to keep the CPU more busy (processor lasso or the like plus a change to the power level).

be wary of CPU temps when doing so

The Intel Turboboost works very well when there is plenty of cooling to the bottom of the laptop

Which is why i will also suggest getting a decent laptop cooler like the CoolerMaster SF-17 or SF-19

small investment but goes a long way to help keep the laptop internal temps in check

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

System's control panel, power options, set to high performance.

Create a user.cfg and place in your MWO folder with at least this command line in it sys_MaxFPS = 50 (adjust accordingly).

The High Performance is to ensure that core parking is not happening. The user.cfg is setup so that your FPS is more consistent instead of yo-yo for both CPU and GPU. For the CPU when turboboost kicks in, that extra power is directed to fewer cores, to where when the heat hits a specific threshold just for that one core, the entire CPU will underclock to allow for cooling.

I would also suggest Afterburner or another program to take manual control over the laptop fans, to have them ramping up sooner than later.

Edit And a can of compressed air to clear out the heatsinks/vents every month or so, and a cooling pad.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 20 March 2017 - 02:33 PM.

#6 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:27 AM

if you are connecting wirelessly you may want to set it to not turn off to conserve power.

device manager >network adapter>right click adaper /properties>power management

Edited by Gorantir, 22 March 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#7 Eyes On You

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Guys thanks for the answers.I was making some tests and i noticed that GPU usage is max %30 in MWO while i was monitoring with MSI Afterburner.

Its fine with all other games, i could not solve it :S and honestly system is good, its not so bad.

#8 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:50 AM

View PostEyes On You, on 29 March 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

Guys thanks for the answers.I was making some tests and i noticed that GPU usage is max %30 in MWO while i was monitoring with MSI Afterburner.

make sure the game is using the full resolution of the monitor ... if its less than 2560x1440, the 'usage' in mwo will probably always be sub optimal ... and you could probably use either antialiasing or dynamic super resolution to increase it ...

what does your cpu usage look like in game ...

#9 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:09 AM

It's the i7 6700hq only clocking up to 3.4ghz. It doesn't keep up well with MWO. I recently bought and then returned a laptop with an i7 6700hq + GTX 1060 6GB because of the exact issues you're describing. My current laptop (i7-4700hq+2xGTX 765M) performed the same as that i7 6700hq + GTX 1060 in MWO, which is simply ridiculous. In fact, my frame drops on the older laptop was actually less (low 40's instead of low/mid 30s) which I attribute to the fact that I can use Intel XTU to clock the i7 4700hq to 3.6 single core boost / 3.4 4 core boost, while the i7 6700hq only does 3.4 single core boost/ 3.2 4 core boost.

My wife is the one that usually uses the laptop for MWO, and I gave up with the terrible framedrops and just built her another desktop system instead with a i5 7600K (4.8ghz OC) + GTX 1070. Voila, no more framedrops

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 30 March 2017 - 01:10 AM.

#10 sub2000

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:48 AM

mobile processors /= desktop.
The main differences are cash and hyperthreading management.
It looks that MWO is using old 3.6 CryEngine, beside silly bugs like getting glued to the wall ( see collision management issues which btw were repaired by Crytex in subsequent iterations), and textures "falling", it is very shy in requesting resources.
So stopping anything in background is of critical importance.
You can easily end with your game using like 30% or even less percentage of processor resources (my 'record' was 15%).
the FPS difference between fresh restart and using windows with few hours of up time can be 10 or even more fps. So restarting windows is also a good option.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users