- - - - -

Scout Mech, Cicada Or Raven

20 replies to this topic

#1 BarelyEvolvedApe

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

I'm not new, but i've been away long enough that it's practically a new game.
I've just about mastered the hunchback, enforcer, and panther, so i'm looking for my next mech and I think i've narrowed it down to these two.

I want something fast, my favorite playstyle is following a heavy and then harassing whatever it's engaging, i like chicken walker style mechs for some reason, and I refuse to pilot clan (i know their mechs are better in every way, but I just can't bring myself to do it.)

These two mechs seem very similar with similar roles. Can someone more experienced tell me what the differences would be, or give opinions on which you'd prefer? From what i can see the cicada is basically a slightly heavier armed raven, but that's just my ignorant perception probably.

Edited by Skullkandy, 20 March 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostSkullkandy, on 20 March 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

I'm not new, but i've been away long enough that it's practically a new game.
I've just about mastered the hunchback, enforcer, and panther, so i'm looking for my next mech and I think i've narrowed it down to these two.

I want something fast, my favorite playstyle is following a heavy and then harassing whatever it's engaging, i like chicken walker style mechs for some reason, and I refuse to pilot clan (i know their mechs are better in every way, but I just can't bring myself to do it.)

These two mechs seem very similar with similar roles. Can someone more experienced tell me what the differences would be, or give opinions on which you'd prefer? From what i can see the cicada is basically a slightly heavier armed raven, but that's just my ignorant perception probably.

The CDA is a bit more versatile. About all the RVN can do is LL/ERLL/LPL poking. It does that well, but it's pretty limited style-wise. The CDA can do that as well as MPL/ML flanking/harassing, PPC sniping and can even run a few other more novel builds like UAC/5 and 4MLs on the 3M.

Edited by TercieI, 20 March 2017 - 03:16 PM.

#3 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:19 PM

Raven is 25T, Cicada is 40T

So differences are the Raven is smaller/faster with less armour/payload/cooling. Reverse it for the CDA, basically.

One build I run if I'm playing harass are these:

3ERL - Slower
2ERL - Faster
2ERPPC - I don't like this cause IS PPCs in general, suck balls.

You can swap the ERL out for LL obviously. Don't let the 2ERL CDA build fool you, I've managed to harass/crank out 500dmg in a short space of time on larger maps as you can fire for days. I used it recently in a in-house 4v4 tournament and did really well with it as it's FAST.

If you are talking short range harras then just look at the builds here:

META MECHS

Meta mechs basically being the "go to" as a start point for proper builds, not some of the crazy stuff people post on the forums sometimes Posted Image

Edited by justcallme A S H, 20 March 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#4 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

The cicada is my preference, and is a little bit more versatile. You can have armament enough to deal with clan mediums and enough maneuverability to duel lights. The weapons loadouts are superior - the X5 with SRM/MLAS, the 2A with 6MLAS or the 2B with 5MPLAS are all strong. You even have the 3M which can do ECM and high speed for intel gathering.

The raven can do well in intel gathering, but up against 50 ton mediums or ACH will struggle. The raven really excels as a long range harasser and DOT, usually lacking a chance to shine against a team of mediums-or-lighter in a cap / brawl race.

View PostTercieI, on 20 March 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

The CDA is a bit more versatile. About all the RVN can do is LL/ERLL/LPL poking. It does that well, but it's pretty limited style-wise. The CDA can do that as well as MPL/ML flanking/harassing, PPC sniping and can even run a few other more novel builds like UAC/5 and 4MLs on the 3M.

OMG stop you ninja

#5 SilentFenris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

I have both rvn and cda mastered. CDA gets my vote. Want to see what a pack of CDA can do in scouting?
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=sqQa5ZabvWY

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

View PostSilentFenris, on 20 March 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

Want to see what a pack of CDA can do in scouting?
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=sqQa5ZabvWY

An organised team against a bunch of PUGs, 2 in trial mechs - is not really an indicator of how well a CDA performs in scouting. If you faced a 3man in proper mechs for scouting, you would've been on for a tough time IMO. CDA legs are like butter and you gotta be running max speed often as possible.

Not being rude with my comment either, your focus fire on legs was really excellent there - well done indeed :)

IMO there are much better mechs than a CDA for scouting mode given it's just an all-in brawl.

#7 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Keep in mind that the raven is more of a support light - ECM, narc quirks, long range poking, and comparatively slow (for a light) without upgrading the engine. To make it fast, you'll need to sink a fairly hefty amount of cbills into it (by my bankroll anyway).
The huginn however, is more of a harasser role, and there are raven builds that mount AC20 that might fit your needs.

The cicada is a lot faster, but no ecm (that i recall). Somewhat larger too. It can also do long range poking, but more frequently focuses on close range strafing.

For your purposes... they are about equal overall. If all you do is follow heavies to cherry pic, assist, you don't actually need a lot of speed. But you do need/want armor. ECM is also helpful in that overall scenario, because exposure is practically guaranteed. Long range weapons are also useful because in puglandia, heavies spend 2/3rds of their time hanging back sniping and crowding each other around one piece of cover.

Mind, too slow and you wont be able to respond to developing situations well (heavies are not going to make it back to base in time to prevent a capture, etc. That is a job for lights/med/fast mechs) or protect against more agile lights that are harassing YOUR heavies - heavies are juicy kills, but enemy lights and meds will treat you as a priority threat... something to deal with/leg quickly before flanking that heavy.

So... personally I feel the Raven is actually more versatile, in terms of what it can offer the group. The cicada is more versatile in terms of armament, but its role is more limited imho.

I mean, you say "scout" mech... but it doesn't sound like you play scout mode FW (here are no heavies in scout mode FW)... and your preferred playstyle doesn't involve scouting at all... so.... ??

Edited by Jingseng, 20 March 2017 - 05:25 PM.

#8 SilentFenris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 20 March 2017 - 05:06 PM, said:

An organised team against a bunch of PUGs, 2 in trial mechs - is not really an indicator of how well a CDA performs in scouting. If you faced a 3man in proper mechs for scouting, you would've been on for a tough time IMO. CDA legs are like butter and you gotta be running max speed often as possible.

Not being rude with my comment either, your focus fire on legs was really excellent there - well done indeed :)

IMO there are much better mechs than a CDA for scouting mode given it's just an all-in brawl.

I do not believe your comment is rude, but it is incorrect. That match was PUG vs. PUG. Granted, I can't say for certain the other 3 members were not grouped, but I joined as a single and we just happened to be running a bunch of CDA.

#9 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 20 March 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

Raven is 25T, Cicada is 40T

Raven is actually 35 tons, so there's not a huge difference in armor.

I've mastered the RVN-3L and the Huginn. I also have a 4X almost mastered. You can do more than just laser builds, but the mounts are very nice for a couple of heavier lasers. I'd do PPC on the CDA since it has quirks I believe. I think there is an ECM CDA actually, the 3M.

I'd suggest you try out the trial RVN when it becomes available tomorrow in the new patch (i think I saw that in there). It's the 3L with 2xERLL and it runs a little hot. It's built for poking. If you want a little more punch you can try out the 4X or 2X, they have better weapons quirks, and one has JJs for positioning purposes mostly.

The Huginn is a strange RVN, with 4B mounts, and 2M. It has more HP quirks than the others, but must get in close to use it's payload effectively.

#10 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

Oh well there you go, I don't have ravens lol.. But ye, they are definately pure support role rather than aggressor.

View PostSilentFenris, on 20 March 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

I do not believe your comment is rude, but it is incorrect. That match was PUG vs. PUG. Granted, I can't say for certain the other 3 members were not grouped, but I joined as a single and we just happened to be running a bunch of CDA.

My apologies - looked like a group, and the focus fire on nothing but legs also is what organised groups do.

If that was a pure solo drop, almost unheard of that everyone shoots the same thing at the same time :D

#11 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:59 AM

I also recomend the Cicada.
more versitility, the CDA-3M is probably the best, and not just because of the ECM, it hac do 4 lasers and a balistic e.g. 4 ML and a UAC5 or 3 ERLL, if you want something a bit diferant it can take a Gauss Rifle with ECM for a reasionable sniper.
the Cicada can be faster or can take a smaller (255-300) engine to pack in much more firepower than the Raven.

having tried both the Cicada was the better Mech, at least for me.

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:57 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 21 March 2017 - 01:59 AM, said:

I also recomend the Cicada.
more versitility, the CDA-3M is probably the best, and not just because of the ECM, it hac do 4 lasers and a balistic e.g. 4 ML and a UAC5 or 3 ERLL, if you want something a bit diferant it can take a Gauss Rifle with ECM for a reasionable sniper.
the Cicada can be faster or can take a smaller (255-300) engine to pack in much more firepower than the Raven.

having tried both the Cicada was the better Mech, at least for me.

Currently the 2B is the best, no real question, IMO. 5MPL or its quirks support other energy builds too.

#13 Amatsukaze

• PipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

I have both & like both for different reasons. As has been said repeatedly the CDA is more versatile but IMO the Raven is more fun.
My Huginn is a harrasment/assasin mech. Its got 2x SRM6's & 2x MG's. Stalk & target your quarry to pick out the weak spot in their armor, charge in & take it with an alpha. Also the 3L is fun as a poker doing the same thing but get the sensor module so you can target from farther away. Blindly poking at range is good for getting damage & the occasional kill but stalk in a little closer, target & call your shots. Leave enhanced zoom alone. Its a waste of a module spot. If you shooting so far that you cant target them its a crap shoot on what your are going to get. You might luck into taking a component or kill but get closer & be certain. Be the tiger stalking its prey, not the jackal nipping its heels.

#14 R E S P E K

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Cicada hands down. Get the loyalty variant and pop tart that mama jama.

#15 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

Cicada, though im biased.

#16 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

Cicada, 145 mechs and i play Cicada's and Jenners 90% of the time. CDA F is one of the most fun mechs in the game and CDA 2A remains very effective, 3M can be used for fun experimental builds and if you have a mech bay spare the 3C with an ERPPC + AC2 and mg's is a riot.
There is the 2B and X5 as well, they have arm hard points, the X5 is a fun missile platform and atm the 2B boats mpl like nothing else can.
You will learn to both fight and survive in a cda, they are like a light but can take a few more punch's

#17 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:34 PM

Posted Image

#18 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:46 AM

i dont recommend either..

the raven is designed to be a narc boat..
and the cicada is designed to kill lights

If you wanted to be a scout, you should do so in a commando 2d, or a spider or a locust PB (something small fast and with ecm)

Edited by Burnin2nd, 26 March 2017 - 12:46 AM.

#19 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:01 AM

Cicada 2A with 6 MPLas, XL300. 5 heatsinks? (Somewhere along that line)
Cicada X-5 SRMs and Lasers (Weapons don't tie up... Making it less useful)
Cicada 3M XL340 2 ER Large or that cicada with the UAC5 and 4 Medium Lasers (Don't underestimate that UAC5 bro) It has ECM
Raven 2X (Good for its duration quirk.. Run with 2 mediums and 2 large or run with 3 large XL225)
Raven 3L It has ECM, same speed as cicada above (Cicada considered a waste of tonnage) 2 ER Large max engine
Raven 4X, 2 ER Large
Raven Hugginn, (2 SRMs 4 Machine guns) God Wait till heavy machine guns....!!!!!

Those are your builds, that do well with quirks.

There is flexibility there but they are not so popular.
Have fun exploring them. I think that they are a worthy chassis. Especially that cicada 2A with 6 MPLas.

#20 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

View PostTercieI, on 21 March 2017 - 04:57 AM, said:

Currently the 2B is the best, no real question, IMO. 5MPL or its quirks support other energy builds too.

What do you recommend for 2PPC Cicada?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users