53 replies to this topic

#1 NetherlightWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 124 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Sector

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

I am honestly feeling the pilot tier system needs reviewing. I have been stuck in low tier 3 standing no matter what I do because of unbalanced teams or other issues.

This lack of being able to move up has left me with dwindling desire to waste my time playing if I get nothing for the effort beyond what I was already getting before this tier system.

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

View PostShiverwolf, on 22 March 2017 - 12:16 AM, said:

I am honestly feeling the pilot tier system needs reviewing. I have been stuck in low tier 3 standing no matter what I do because of unbalanced teams or other issues.

This lack of being able to move up has left me with dwindling desire to waste my time playing if I get nothing for the effort beyond what I was already getting before this tier system.

I don't want to sound like an elitist, but there are many who managed to get up this tier system, even those who aren't really that good, Tier ain't even a good indicator of skill.

Try adjusting yourself first before blaming the PSR system. If people managed to get up on the supposedly broken system, what does that tell about you?

#3 NetherlightWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 124 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Sector

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:29 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 22 March 2017 - 12:23 AM, said:

I don't want to sound like an elitist, but there are many who managed to get up this tier system, even those who aren't really that good, Tier ain't even a good indicator of skill.

Try adjusting yourself first before blaming the PSR system. If people managed to get up on the supposedly broken system, what does that tell about you?

Cheating and/or carried springs to mind. Let's not even get into all those that deliberately tank their tier rating so they can stroke their egos by beating on lower tier players.

So yes, you are sounding like an elitist and did not offer anything constructive at all.

#4 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:42 AM

What kinds of builds do you normally run?

#5 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:42 AM

Just work at it; if you can average 300 damage, 1 to 2 kills, and win over 50% of your matches you will eventually make it to tier 1.

I have been averaging 350 to 450 damage, 1 to 2 kills and winning over 50% with some extra credit matches (1k damage or bunch more kills). I started out as tier 1 because of FW was included, but then they removed those stats. After that it set me back to middle of tier 3. I am a smidgen from being tier one now.

Remember in game, HF and GL.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

PSR system has upwards bias. Which means as long as you do average performance in game, you should move up. If you are getting stuck on T3, or any tiers below T1, then that's something on your end. Review your builds, fix your mistakes, learn more about the game etc... You average match score so far is 175, which is on the low end.

Also, according to the leaderboards, you haven't played this game for at least 8 months. Did you really think you'll get good this fast?

Edited by El Bandito, 22 March 2017 - 12:49 AM.

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:46 AM

View PostShiverwolf, on 22 March 2017 - 12:29 AM, said:

Cheating and/or carried springs to mind. Let's not even get into all those that deliberately tank their tier rating so they can stroke their egos by beating on lower tier players.

So yes, you are sounding like an elitist and did not offer anything constructive at all.

Cheaters do exist, but don't you think that you're assuming too much that whenever you lose or die, it's always "cheating"? It's precisely that thinking why you don't go up the tier (worthless BTW, till PGI actually improves on it).

Even if i sound elitist, that doesn't really help your case. People still work up the Tier, whereas you're stuck.

Hows about tell us your builds, and how you play them? Do you lurm-boat? Do you stay behind the team? Do you not move? Do you heavily rely on locks? Do you torso-twist? Do you arm-shield? Or do you stare people? Do you watch Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, or Kill La Kill? That sort of thing -- maybe not the last part.

But blaming things ain't the way to improve yourself, those just justify why you're bad.

#8 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:47 AM

Here is what I did to get through Tier 3.

Clantech...that's about it.

I Used mostly an Arctic Cheetah (6 sml pulse +ECM standard fair)

An Ebon Jaguar either based on twin UAC10s + sml pulse or a more eclectic 2 LB5X 4 Sml pulse 2 SRM4s.

After the MAD IIcs dropped I used a Scorch with 4x ASRM6 2 SMl Pulse 2 LB10X 350XL (Scorch is a beast and I have had frequent 4+ kill matches)

What I find is the clan mechs frequently allow me to do well enough to not lose PSR on a match loss and even gain PSR on a loss.

#9 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:47 AM

http://metamechs.com/

will help with builds and how to play them

#10 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:32 AM

My advice is.. FORGET THE TIERS... they are utterly unimportant.. If you can't go up in tier, there's probably a reason.. and Tier 3 is really the best, cose' you get to play with everybody, and get quicker matches because of that..

Also, tiers are not a really good indicator of skill.. more an indicator of effort..

And just so you know.. if you're considered a "good" player, no matter how bad your team, your PSR will not go down.. if you consistently produce high damage and high match scores, even if you loose, you will go up in tier or at least stagnate..

So don't blame others for your failings..

Edited by Vellron2005, 22 March 2017 - 01:33 AM.

#11 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:55 AM

Hate to break it to you, it's definitely a pilot thing. I played mostly squishy IS heavies like jager and catapults (bought both mastery packs early) and it catapulted me (no pun intended) to tier 2 where I started seriously experimenting with clan tech. You should still get a small increase in tier in a 3-400 dmg loss game so by right, you should be rising steadily through out

Man were those 1.3km max range lpl a drug

Edited by Bohxim, 22 March 2017 - 03:58 AM.

#12 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:02 AM

You can safely ignore the tier system you gonna be mixed in with all tiers anyway.

Just forget it even exists.

#13 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:03 AM

Ugh, wish I had this problem.... Tier creep is real.

#14 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:03 AM

I got to T2 with lore builds and almost solely solo drops. You'll rise eventually, whether you want to or not.

#15 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:09 AM

Like they say...

Best ignore it because its both inevitable and irrelevant since you wil be playing with tiers above and below anyway...

Take a weight off ya mind and forget it

#16 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:13 AM

Face it

Im t3 n i havnt played the game in any real sence since before tiers even became implemented

They just put me in t3 right off the bat

Its all arbitrary

#17 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:00 AM

View PostShiverwolf, on 22 March 2017 - 12:29 AM, said:

Here's the thing. It is going to be very hard for anyone to help you here or say anything that might not be a little tough for you to hear. I don't think that The6thMessenger, was trying to insult you.

A couple of things to consider. The tier system is heavily weighted towards damage and winning. You can look up in many other threads the various thresholds but for simplicity sake, I would say if you really want to progress, start by aiming to put out more than 450 damage per match. If you are able to do this in most of your matches, you psr will rise steady.

Another thing to improve is to review your basics.

I recommend checking out the link I have provided.

Again it may be tough to hear, but the system tends to fail most people upwards. Tier 1 is not hard to get into and it is not filled with great, or sometimes even competent players. Nascar and lurming alone in the back are still frequently seen. The only thing that I have noticed is that the higher tiers will usually stay together a bit better.

Hope this helps.

#18 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:08 AM

I am honestly feeling the pilot tier system needs reviewing. I have been stuck in low tier 3 standing no matter what I do because of unbalanced teams or other issues.This lack of being able to move up has left me with dwindling desire to waste my time playing if I get nothing for the effort beyond what I was already getting before this tier system.

Play meta mechs

#19 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:14 AM

Why was i put in t3 then right from the start of the tier system

I logged in haven never played under the new system and that is where i was put

Arbitrarily

#20 Sucy Manbavaran

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:18 AM

How to up 101 :

http://metamechs.com...-lists/is-list/

( only put IS, cause of course every ClanMech are OPsheat )

Edited by Sucy Manbavaran, 22 March 2017 - 05:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users