What Is The Best Starter Mech For New Players?

127 replies to this topic

#1 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

Well I will set some ground rules:

- Must be cheap enough to buy the variant, upgrade it, and still have CBills left for modules (or in future skill tree).

- Must be able to do multiple different builds, so must be versatile. Example must be able to do laser vomit, ERPPC + Gauss, Splat builds, ... .

- Must be effective. As in anyone can play it no matter how they built it because it is good no matter what.

So lets start the brain pans to find some golden nugget of knowledge to share with new players.

The only mech I can think of is the Timber Wolf but it just cost way to much in my opinion.

#2 Reverend Herring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:49 AM

My first mech was the Catapult K2. I'd say that's a quite decent starter mech.

#3 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:51 AM

A clan omnimech. You don't pay for the changed engine, the omni pods allow experimentation, and an XL engine won't kill you instantly on a side torso loss. I recommend the timber wolf because it's modular, maneuverable, and the cockpit has good visibility.

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 22 March 2017 - 01:51 AM.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:16 AM

Hellbringer. ECM, high mounts, good mobility for a 65 tonner.

#5 The Lighthouse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:21 AM

First of all, Clan mechs have higher up-front cost, but the overall cost of both IS and Clan mechs are same due to engine price, double heatsink upgrade and Endo structure upgrade. People will actually find IS mechs actually cost MORE than Clan mechs.

And it is really a trap for new players: People who do not know much about the effectiveness of double heatsink and Endo structure will find their mechs really lacking in firepower and stuffs. I really do not recommend people to get IS mechs for their first choice. IS mechs are really for experienced players ONLY.

My top recommendation is Huntsman and Hunchback IIC. They have very good hardpoints, good space and tonnage, and can do pretty much all builds. Only issue is that their hitboxes are rather bad, thus less survivability.

Next up is Hellbringer. Only issue is that it cannot do pure Splat and more expensive, but it has ECM which really helps against LRM for new players.

If IS mech is really preferred, then I suggest Griffin and Shadow Hawk. Quite a lot of builds do not need XL to be effective so the overall cost may be cheaper (but still need to buy double heatsink and Endo... so pretty much 2,500,000+ CB on whatever the price of the mech is.

Edited by The Lighthouse, 22 March 2017 - 02:21 AM.

#6 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:26 AM

Anything with high hard points. This game seems to have become gauss/ppc first and foremost, with variations of poke with other weapons when possible. So I guess maybe a Shadow Hawk for the IS...maybe even the K2. I'd say Jagger but bad hit boxes; or Tbolt but you wanted variety. Hmm...no Heroes right?

Yeah, more I think about it, especially considering the state of the game and the meta I think if I was a new player I'd go with Bandito's plan: Hellbringer.

#7 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:28 AM

I think a Hellbringer might be the best:

Hellbringer http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1bd76e998caa901

ECM
6 cerML
28 DHS
TC1 / BAP

Its using only parts you can actually buy.

Edited by WolvesX, 22 March 2017 - 02:28 AM.

#8 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:41 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 22 March 2017 - 02:26 AM, said:

Anything with high hard points. This game seems to have become gauss/ppc first and foremost, with variations of poke with other weapons when possible. So I guess maybe a Shadow Hawk for the IS...maybe even the K2. I'd say Jagger but bad hit boxes; or Tbolt but you wanted variety. Hmm...no Heroes right?

Yeah, more I think about it, especially considering the state of the game and the meta I think if I was a new player I'd go with Bandito's plan: Hellbringer.

K2 is not really that good unfortunately. The whole IS heavies are really, really underwhelming and bad. Even Grasshopper and Warhammer really fall short compared to good Clan heavies unless specific situations.

I also would say Hellbringer as the first choice... but it is a bit more expensive and the hardpoints are not that high (still high, but not as high as my first choices)

The majority of the problems of new players are not being able to do enough damage. Hardpoints make huge difference for them.

Edit : now think about it, the some of the Hellbringer's hardpoints are actually quite high.

Edited by The Lighthouse, 22 March 2017 - 02:42 AM.

#9 Kasumi Sumika

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:43 AM

TDR-9S

2 LPL
3 ML
2 AMS
STD 280

I think this is good build for new players.

Edited by Kasumi Sumika, 22 March 2017 - 02:44 AM.

#10 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:48 AM

Just don't let you talk into a HBK because it's a "workhorse" or something like that. Whatever anyone says here, don't punish a new player by giving him a HBK.

#11 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:53 AM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 22 March 2017 - 02:41 AM, said:

K2 is not really that good unfortunately. The whole IS heavies are really, really underwhelming and bad. Even Grasshopper and Warhammer really fall short compared to good Clan heavies unless specific situations.

I also would say Hellbringer as the first choice... but it is a bit more expensive and the hardpoints are not that high (still high, but not as high as my first choices)

The majority of the problems of new players are not being able to do enough damage. Hardpoints make huge difference for them.

Edit : now think about it, the some of the Hellbringer's hardpoints are actually quite high.

Yes. That was the kinda the point. The IS doesn't have a mech that meets all of the OP's critera. Those that come close have one (or more) serious drawbacks or lack one of the requirements (cheap cost, variety of build, effective, etc.). Hammer is getting up there in price, especially the aftermarket add ons. Hopper is a deal breaker for variety. K2 has variety but yeah, isn't the most new player friendly of mechs and its after market costs start to soar as well.

If we could go Heroes, for the IS I might actually be tempted to say a Fang (not kidding). With all that extra armor it is more new player friendly that ever. Plus the high shoulder mount you can do a std brawler build or a Gauss/ERLL or even a Gauss/PPC left poke build.

But no an IS mech is not in the running imho. Too many compromises for the OP's (and my own) criteria. In the end I think the Hellbringer wins. Its got everything a new player could want.

#12 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:07 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 22 March 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

Just don't let you talk into a HBK because it's a "workhorse" or something like that. Whatever anyone says here, don't punish a new player by giving him a HBK.

Argh, why? I understand if you are talking about IS HBK, but the only problem of HBK IIC is that it is slightly fragile and the engine upgrade is needed. IIC has crazy high mounts on all possible setups, still has durability of medium mechs, and carry a lot of stuffs as well.

View PostBud Crue, on 22 March 2017 - 02:53 AM, said:

Yes. That was the kinda the point. The IS doesn't have a mech that meets all of the OP's critera. Those that come close have one (or more) serious drawbacks or lack one of the requirements (cheap cost, variety of build, effective, etc.). Hammer is getting up there in price, especially the aftermarket add ons. Hopper is a deal breaker for variety. K2 has variety but yeah, isn't the most new player friendly of mechs and its after market costs start to soar as well.

If we could go Heroes, for the IS I might actually be tempted to say a Fang (not kidding). With all that extra armor it is more new player friendly that ever. Plus the high shoulder mount you can do a std brawler build or a Gauss/ERLL or even a Gauss/PPC left poke build.

But no an IS mech is not in the running imho. Too many compromises for the OP's (and my own) criteria. In the end I think the Hellbringer wins. Its got everything a new player could want.

As I said, the Hellbringer is solid choice, except it is quite expensive though. I believe Hunch IIC with engine upgrade would not exceeds more than 10m in comparison. Huntsman is also good choice with about 2~3m cheaper.

#13 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:30 AM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 22 March 2017 - 03:07 AM, said:

As I said, the Hellbringer is solid choice, except it is quite expensive though. I believe Hunch IIC with engine upgrade would not exceeds more than 10m in comparison. Huntsman is also good choice with about 2~3m cheaper.

If the newbie has his cadet bonus + tutorial bonus he can afford a Hellbie after some matches.

#14 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:30 AM

The only IS mechs that are cheaper in the long run, are those with stock DHS, Endo and decent engine.
And it's a good idea to buy mechs when they're 35% off.

I bought BL-6B-KNT for a discounted price of 4.8. It's got DHS, Endo, STD300, even 2 LPLs - all the good stuff.
GRH-5P has Endo and DHS, but needs a bigger engine.
CRB-27B is decent choice - O bought mine for a dirt cheap price of 2.7 million. All it needed was a ferro->endo swap and 6 MPLs. Now it's a decent mech for scouting.
CN9-D is a good deal because sooner or later you'll gonna need to buy an XL300 and you get a fun autoshotgun mech with it.

Or you could buy a Stormcrow-Prime that has probably the best stock"lore" loadout in all of MWO.
Or a Hellbringer with superb build diversity:
2LPL 3ERML ECM
6ERML ECM
5MPL 2ERML ECM
4ERLL ECM
2UAC5 4ERML ECM
UAC10/Gauss 4ERML ECM
UAC20 6ERSL ECM
2SRM6+A 4MPL 2 SPL ECM

Did I mention it has ECM?

Edited by Kmieciu, 22 March 2017 - 03:45 AM.

#15 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:40 AM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 22 March 2017 - 03:07 AM, said:

Argh, why? I understand if you are talking about IS HBK, but the only problem of HBK IIC is that it is slightly fragile and the engine upgrade is needed. IIC has crazy high mounts on all possible setups, still has durability of medium mechs, and carry a lot of stuffs as well.

I ment the IS HBK specifically, that's why i didn't write HBK IIC.

This forum has a long and dark history of recommending the IS HBK to new players, probably born out of some TT grognardism. I shudder when thinking about all the poor souls who came here for advice, and went home with a HBK when there were countless better mechs available. "It's a good mech to learn the game with"... yeah, sure.

Getting your face punched in with a subpar mech is surely a fun way to "learn the game".

Edited by meteorol, 22 March 2017 - 03:41 AM.

#16 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:55 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 22 March 2017 - 03:30 AM, said:

Or you could buy a Stormcrow-Prime that has probably the best stock"lore" loadout in all of MWO.

+1 on the Stormcrow

Great build diversity, fast enough to get out of trouble when you have made some noob mistake and decently tanky. Great firepower. Good start to a cw dropdeck and good for scouting missions. Not too expensive either

Also, for a new player that might feel overwhelmed or is having a bad day, the streakcrow is a terribly fun build and a great way to rack up some c-bills in tier 5.

#17 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:56 AM

HBK-4SP is a good choice for scouting, but needs numerous upgrades. And it's not very versatile.

#18 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:00 AM

Ebon Jaguar, Timberwolf, Hellbringer

Though I would have gone for Ebon If I had the current knowledge, instead I started with Orion, pretty much the worst IS heavy :D, :D, but fter you level up a few Tiers in that, it's easy mode when you put your *** in a Clan mech or the better IS ones

#19 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:02 AM

One of the trials is a Hellbringers so your friend could try it out

#20 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:05 AM

Centurion will teach a new player the most valuable lessons and i don't think that's ever changed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users