Trial Mechs In Fp, It Has To Stop

23 replies to this topic

#1 Spectralfx

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

I am making a thread here because I can't stand this anymore.

Lately, all of the FP drops I've been part of was literally the worst experience I had so far in this game. Losing a match is a thing, but seeing 2 waves of Inner sphere Trial mechs trade for a puny 4-8 kills is awfully unbearable.

I can't stress enough that if you are still a noob, don't go to FP, AT ALL!

People being clueless about the drop mechanic to the point that they suicide themselves on the enemy because they died too soon and respawn in a "transition time" while their teammates are still waiting to drop is something I see every games... worst is my pain when the friendly that does that is a green trial mech that have no clue what is going on...

By all means, share your "know-how" with the masses in this thread because the ignorance on our side has to stop!

#2 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:10 PM

*looks at title. Reads OP's rant/tirade. Compares it to past ones with the exact same complaint. Realizes there's nothing new and moves on*

#3 Spectralfx

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

View PostAnimeFreak40K, on 22 March 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

*looks at title. Reads OP's rant/tirade. Compares it to past ones with the exact same complaint. Realizes there's nothing new and moves on*

#truetobesure

#4 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

View PostSpectralfx, on 22 March 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

#truetobesure

In all seriousness, the people you are ranting at/about most likely don't even visit these forums...and those that do, don't care. They only care about two things: running around in giant stompy robots and shooting up other giant stompy robots.

...oh and they REALLY like the respawn mechanic, because that is something that the masses had been begging for since at least late 2013 (when I started playing).

#5 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:19 PM

I feel ya.

But there's nothing stopping them from doing so; it's free mechs to use in their drop deck.....

Sometimes I carry too damn hard.... I always have for some reason in faction play....

Posted Image

View PostAnimeFreak40K, on 22 March 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

...oh and they REALLY like the respawn mechanic, because that is something that the masses had been begging for since at least late 2013 (when I started playing).

yep, they sure as hell do. But you can't stop them. the best is herding them in the general direction of what to do via VOIP or chat.

#6 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 22 March 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

yep, they sure as hell do. But you can't stop them. the best is herding them in the general direction of what to do via VOIP or chat.

Personally, I don't care too much about the folks that bring Trial Mechs. I would prefer that they don't, but that has little to do with sub-optimal builds or inherent problems that exist with Trial Mechs as a general thing and has more to do with the fact that I would rather people bring mechs that they are comfortable with and have fun playing.

#7 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

View PostAnimeFreak40K, on 22 March 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

Personally, I don't care too much about the folks that bring Trial Mechs. I would prefer that they don't, but that has little to do with sub-optimal builds or inherent problems that exist with Trial Mechs as a general thing and has more to do with the fact that I would rather people bring mechs that they are comfortable with and have fun playing.

pretty much sums up part of my thinking.

The other part is when people are in mechs that they are comfortable with, they perform much, much, much better than those not comfortable in them.

#8 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 22 March 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

pretty much sums up part of my thinking.

The other part is when people are in mechs that they are comfortable with, they perform much, much, much better than those not comfortable in them.

Agreed.

I just wish more people understood this.

#9 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

We now have the ability to build IS/Clan teams regardless of factions...

Contact the reps on the FRR hub (or Mana Strectny for clanners) and have them make some "no bs" channels for putting together groups will to bring legit builds.

This accomplishes 2 things, builds coordination and sets standards.

Only problem is that depending on the time of day you may *have* to bring lurmers and noobs just to get a game.

#10 Spectralfx

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

One of the biggest problem is the fact that litteraly green players click on faction play without really understanding anything about it.

There should be some ... steps, preventing them from doing so right away out of the box...

#11 UrbanTarget

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostSpectralfx, on 23 March 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

One of the biggest problem is the fact that litteraly green players click on faction play without really understanding anything about it.

There should be some ... steps, preventing them from doing so right away out of the box...

There is a one time warning... but I doubt people pay attention to it...

Perhaps they should simply withhold rewards if player simply can't achieve certain metrics, and I mean BASELINE metrics...

For example, I don't care if you are an "expert scout", if you can't score 500 dmg in a game (125 dmg/mech) then you may need to train up... If you are permadead in under 10 minutes when the majority of the team is not (I.e. not a wipe), you are doing something wrong. If you fire weapons outside of max range, repeatedly, you are in need of additional training.

...This leads to something that has been said over and over again: WE NEED A FP WING IN THE ACADEMY!

-How to open a gate
-How to destroy and O-Gen/mobile base/Omega
-Even how to assemble a drop deck(?)

#12 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:40 PM

i also woud go for "own 4 customizable mechs before you can play FW".this way people a forced to
play quick play (the real quick play) first, what woud be a good thing for their impression about MWO for sure :D

#13 sub2000

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

probably you should just request closed lobby for "registered unites" with the condition to get excluded from PUG games.
Some "competition" ****.
That would help you obviously (you won't see Trial mechs anymore) and would tremendously help PGI to actually revitalize this game, because such measure would protect new players from all this acid. To protect from the people I see in this thread.

MWO has very extensive and long learning curve. Direct comparing with other FPS games is very wrong and the use of actually very wrong decisions common in FPS community is just plain stupid.
The mixing of player base was deadly for UT. It is even more horrible for MWO. "Long waiting times" become an issue when the game is boring or frustrating. People quit not because of long waiting but because this long waiting does not bring any rewards.
It is Tactical Warfare Simulation game first, and mech simulator second. It is very fun to play. It is very fun to play when the teams have similar level or when the veterans do help noobs to improve.
There is no problem with trial mechs, there is a problem with PUG geueues with one or more lance of noobs (see trial mechs) facing stable experienced unites. Forbidding trial mechs etc. won't fix it. Fixing matching will.

Edited by sub2000, 23 March 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#14 Spectralfx

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

View Postsub2000, on 23 March 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

There is no problem with trial mechs, there is a problem with PUG geueues with one or more lance of noobs (see trial mechs) facing stable experienced unites. Forbidding trial mechs etc. won't fix it. Fixing matching will.

Until there I agreed completely with you. There is a problem with trial mechs, they are for trial only.

they are not optimized, I doubt that someone can really be useful in one of these(regardless of how experienced they may be).

But that leads to one other problem, the grindfest we have to endure ... even just to buy the engine for one of those things.... its sometimes more expensive than the mech itself!

PGI needs to make things better on so many levels if it hopes to stop the player base bleeding... I hope they are going to improve on that in the upcoming revamp of the skill tree (as part of the patch) or at least, at the tech up event.

That being said.

Trial mechs should simply not be allowed in FP, also, a minimum tonnage of 85-90% of the max allowed should be in order... if you have less than 200 tons ... get out.

#15 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

View PostSpectralfx, on 23 March 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

they are not optimized, I doubt that someone can really be useful in one of these(regardless of how experienced they may be).

To be fair, some are actually pretty good. The Ebon Jaguar is actually a meta build. Then again, that's clan. :P

Edited by The6thMessenger, 23 March 2017 - 06:59 PM.

#16 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

View PostUrbanTarget, on 23 March 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

There is a one time warning... but I doubt people pay attention to it...

Perhaps they should simply withhold rewards if player simply can't achieve certain metrics, and I mean BASELINE metrics...

For example, I don't care if you are an "expert scout", if you can't score 500 dmg in a game (125 dmg/mech) then you may need to train up... If you are permadead in under 10 minutes when the majority of the team is not (I.e. not a wipe), you are doing something wrong. If you fire weapons outside of max range, repeatedly, you are in need of additional training.

...This leads to something that has been said over and over again: WE NEED A FP WING IN THE ACADEMY!

-How to open a gate
-How to destroy and O-Gen/mobile base/Omega
-Even how to assemble a drop deck(?)

HAHAHAHAHAHA...

#17 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

#18 KafkaSyrup

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

Hmm... a though.

What it there was a 10000 earned XP minimum for any mech brought into FW?

#19 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:06 AM

To be honest the majority of the more recent trial builds are better than the crap builds a lot of the community has been bringing.

Example: the trial warhammer, it by far doe not have an optimal build but at least it has a focus and straight forward design that favours a specific style of play.

Compare that to the average is potato or lore head bringing stock builds on Thier owned mechs or "custom" load outs with 2 ppcs a machine gun and srm6 and 3 medium pulse laser all packed on top of a standard slow engine with waaaay too much ammo, Leading to a hodge podge of effective ranges and weapon velocities.

#20 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

I used to bring the orion iic when it was a trial. It's more solid than most mechs I owned. The builds are pretty high tier on some mechs, so I don't understand the fuss you're making. Yes there are noobs in a game, and a non trial mech won't make them any better - take the time to educate them, or drop with your unit, I guess?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users