Abysmally Low Fps?

18 replies to this topic

#1 CrashmanX

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:57 AM

I can't seem to figure out for the life of me why I'm getting such low FPS in-game. I'm rocking a stock FX-8350 and RX480 build with 14GB of DDR3 RAM, my mobo is a M5A99FX R2.0 Pro. So I should, in theory, be getting decent FPS.

Yet when I play I'm getting sub 20 FPS constantly with everything set to low. This is on a brand new Windows build using 10 x64, so there should be no issues. I'll post a DXDiag of my rig when I get home and am able to. I am running the newest AMD Chipset and GPU Drivers so drivers shouldn't be an issue.

In the meantime if anyone has any theories or suggestions or questions I'd be glad to hear/answer them.
DxDiag:

http://pastebin.com/uzt2h23W

Edited by CrashmanX, 25 March 2017 - 05:58 AM.

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:57 AM

sub 20 eh? That's low even for a 8350.

Is the windows power plan set to high performance?

#3 CrashmanX

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:46 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 23 March 2017 - 01:57 AM, said:

Probably not. It's a fresh build. Steam isn't even installed yet. MWO was one of the first things I slapped on after updating everything.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:22 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 23 March 2017 - 01:57 AM, said:

And to back that up, AMD statement about High vs Balanced Performance power setting, in that they wanted to make sure a user is getting the most out of their new CPUs.

Mind Your Power Plan

Make sure the Windows® 10 High Performance power plan is being used (picture). The High Performance plan offers two key benefits:

Core Parking OFF: Idle CPU cores are instantaneously available for thread scheduling. In contrast, the Balanced plan aggressively places idle CPU cores into low power states. This can cause additional latency when un-parking cores to accommodate varying loads.

Fast frequency change: The AMD Ryzen™ processor can alter its voltage and frequency states in the 1ms intervals natively supported by the “Zen” architecture. In contrast, the Balanced plan may take longer for voltage and frequency changes due to software participation in power state changes.

In the near term, we recommend that games and other high-performance applications are complemented by the High Performance plan. By the first week of April, AMD intends to provide an update for AMD Ryzen™ processors that optimizes the power policy parameters of the Balanced plan to favor performance more consistent with the typical usage models of a desktop PC.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 23 March 2017 - 03:22 AM.

#5 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:47 AM

If it's FRESH, the Windows power plan AND the GPU driver control panel need to be set for performance rather than anything else. I think at this point Tarl just has this stuff saved in a txt file so he can copy+paste it for the hundreds of threads we see like this.

Couple of things in the OP, though. First - STOCK 8350? You're gonna need to overclock the living daylights out of that thing to get anywhere beyond 'low' so you might as well start now. Second - 14GB of RAM? I sure hope you meant 16GB, and I also hope that its fast stuff like 1866 or higher. Third - newest drivers are not necessarily the best drivers. Maybe check out the previous GPU driver and see if that works any better.

Something else to think about is turning off that dumb Xbox DVR thing in Windows 10. I know for at least one guy in this forum that was a major boost.

#6 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:06 AM

I'm also getting lower FPS after this patch and FPS lagg. WIth my old 1055T

#7 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:02 AM

View PostKurbeks, on 23 March 2017 - 06:06 AM, said:

I'm also getting lower FPS after this patch and FPS lagg. WIth my old 1055T

It could indeed be the patch, but we've also seen every patch since forever be blamed for poor performance and it has rarely been the case. For you, I think it's about time to upgrade. That CPU has been EOL for 5 years.

#8 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:28 AM

MWO seems to not be terribly friendly with AMD cpus and just downright hates AMD/ATI gpus.

Also noticed that even with my new ryzen build that I am getting huge frame drop hiccups at exactly thr same spots on maps that my old computer was getting them at. Old rig was 45ish fps on high dropping to the 20s when I hit those spots. New comp is 140ish fps dropping to 50ish when at the same places. I suspect that MWO needs to maybe lay off mechpacks a bit and concentrate on cleaning up their optimization.

#9 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

View PostSephrus Shanadar, on 23 March 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

MWO seems to not be terribly friendly with AMD cpus and just downright hates AMD/ATI gpus.

Also noticed that even with my new ryzen build that I am getting huge frame drop hiccups at exactly thr same spots on maps that my old computer was getting them at. Old rig was 45ish fps on high dropping to the 20s when I hit those spots. New comp is 140ish fps dropping to 50ish when at the same places. I suspect that MWO needs to maybe lay off mechpacks a bit and concentrate on cleaning up their optimization.

You can keep hammering on that if you want, but I can tell you after doing it for years already that it isn't going to happen. They've made tiny adjustments here and there, the most notable being the reduction of certain particles in certain scenarios and the cleanup of the HUDs, but there will never be a big boost. That's why we are so adamant about strong CPUs here in the hardware subforum.

AMD fans can hope to squeeze as much out of their systems as possible, but that's about all it is. Ryzen helps a lot, but it's still not up to par with the Kaby Lake chips for this game.

#10 CrashmanX

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 23 March 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

If it's FRESH, the Windows power plan AND the GPU driver control panel need to be set for performance rather than anything else. I think at this point Tarl just has this stuff saved in a txt file so he can copy+paste it for the hundreds of threads we see like this.

Couple of things in the OP, though. First - STOCK 8350? You're gonna need to overclock the living daylights out of that thing to get anywhere beyond 'low' so you might as well start now. Second - 14GB of RAM? I sure hope you meant 16GB, and I also hope that its fast stuff like 1866 or higher. Third - newest drivers are not necessarily the best drivers. Maybe check out the previous GPU driver and see if that works any better.

Something else to think about is turning off that dumb Xbox DVR thing in Windows 10. I know for at least one guy in this forum that was a major boost.

That's most unfortunate that I'm gonna have to OC such a CPU that works so incredibly well for other titles. I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the struggles of stability with this thing.We'll see though.

As far as RAM, it's 1666 and no I meant 14GB. I know. It's weird. It's a long story.

#11 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

View PostCrashmanX, on 23 March 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

That's most unfortunate that I'm gonna have to OC such a CPU that works so incredibly well for other titles. I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the struggles of stability with this thing.We'll see though.

As far as RAM, it's 1666 and no I meant 14GB. I know. It's weird. It's a long story.

The Bulldozer/Piledriver memory controller is not that great, so an odd amount of RAM AND slower RAM will hold that chip back. Not that it's actually any good, AMD distanced itself from it as quickly as they could for a reason. After the initial failure and Piledriver's inability to close any gaps, every FX-series launch was pretty quiet and they moved onto Marketing Ryzen over a year before it actually came out. In every scenario, it was not as good as its Intel counterparts, gaming included. Bulldozer/Piledriver cannot keep up with feeding the high-end GPUs that have recently come out and bottleneck gaming performance as a result.

OCing an FX chip is practically mandatory and honestly not very hard with good cooling. The keyphrase here is 'good cooling', as in AIO or custom loop. Some people will claim amazing feats like 5GhZ on air, but that's some pretty freaking cold air. Those chips are known to blow way past their TDP.

Having said that, turning off Xbox DVR, using core-parking software, and tweaking to the power/performance settings at the OS and GPU driver level will net you some gains. Replacing that 14GB DDR3-1600 with 16GB of DDR3-2133 will get you a couple FPS, too.

#12 Uklistan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

I just switched to a GTX 750 Ti a few months ago (leave me alone) and I boosted up from 20ish fps to 60 fps, however I too have seen a down turn in fps lately. It's not MWO, for me its the latest driver from nividia - I'm having the same issue in a few other titles.

#13 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

I run a FX8350 stock with a RX480 8GB (Crimson ReLive 17.3.3) and 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM @1920x1200.

Windows Energy Settings "Balanced" (not High Performance!)

Damage Glow Off
VSync Off

Environment and Postprocessing Low
Effects, Particles and Shadows High
Everything else Very High
FXAA

FPS Limit set to 60FPS in the Driversettings

Usually depending on the Map i run pretty close at the 60 FPS Limit and on the more demanding Maps more around a 45 FPS mark with some Dips here and there in the ~30 FPS range when heavy action occurs in disadvantagous places on demanding maps.

OP should get way more FPS than currently does!

PS: I have Motion Blurr and Cockpit Glass disabled also...

Edited by Thorqemada, 26 March 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#14 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 23 March 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

AMD fans can hope to squeeze as much out of their systems as possible, but that's about all it is. Ryzen helps a lot, but it's still not up to par with the Kaby Lake chips for this game.

I'm curious, I'm getting ~45fps at 720 with an AMD APU at mid-high settings. How do those Kabys compare with their iGPUs?
(Not that I'd consider Kabys a viable choice for budget builders)

#15 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 24 March 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

I'm curious, I'm getting ~45fps at 720 with an AMD APU at mid-high settings. How do those Kabys compare with their iGPUs?
(Not that I'd consider Kabys a viable choice for budget builders)

The higher-end iGPUs in Kaby Lake can probably hold their own against an average AMD APU, but I'm not really certain. Considering the vast CPU performance difference, though, and MWO being CPU-bound, I would like to see the difference myself. Unfortunately, not many people go with high-end chips and then use the iGPU for gaming.

#16 CrashmanX

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

Update: After some driver updates and adjusting the power plan I'm getting playable FPS. Usually in the 20 to 30's range now.

Still have everything set to low and such so I'm going to play around with it a bit more. I think we're getting somewhere though.

#17 Sparky314

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

I can't speak for the CPU as I have Intel (4770), but I do have an r280x and have had similar issues in the past. AMD Gaming Evolved needs to be closed. To this day I still have problems with MWO while that is running. The newest drivers right now don't work well for me, low fps and other issues. I use drivers from late 2016. I had to try 3-4 versions to get the best fit for my system. I would try these two things and see how it goes. I get 50+ fps with everything turned up in the graphics.

#18 CrashmanX

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

Upon watching temps/stats while playing I noticed that my GPU never maintained above 17% activity. Spikes 70% to 80% but never maintained for more than a moment. Same for CPU usage, while playing I noticed my CPU NEVER got above 30% utilization, across all cores. At most 2 cores hit 40%.

So something else seems to be really off with this whole system. Doing the "Auto Overclock" that the MoBo comes with I can hit an 8% increase with stability. After that it's spotty stability at best, I can usually get it to hold a 20% increase bringing it up to 4800Mhz, but I'll have to play around and see if I can actually get it to stay. I was unable to get in-game to test the 20% increase as changing a setting broke the whole thing and rebooted my PC, causing me to lose what i had just done.

Sorry I forgot to grab the DXDiag, I'll get it posted in the AM for sure.

EDIT: updated OP with the DXDiag.

Edited by CrashmanX, 25 March 2017 - 05:59 AM.

#19 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:14 PM

quick look over the dxdiag (they are *mostly* pointless) and I notice
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz) - *change to native
Description: Headset Earphone (Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma) -* nice, no problems XD
and no shortage of hard disks....

I run an 8320 @ 4.6 ghz on an gtx1060 @ 4K ... in my experience, the higher you get the base clock to 5ghz, the better the main thread will run, interrupting everything else less ... I little while ago I accidently found out that I was missing some .net dribble, and basically it was causing the majority of the 'stalls' on my FX ... I only realised I was missing something because I could not load the cryeditor, and it was complaining about a file I was sure I had, but apparently not ...

View PostNARC BAIT, on 10 April 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

TL DR - download the visual studio redistributable, for a potential 'stuttering' x64 fix

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=48145

yesterday I did the creators update, to play around with game mode ... and afterwards was getting a bonus 5-10 fps to minimums ... making the most of the lowest dips around 40 fps on my setup, while recording the game, but still generally only actually using 30%-50% of the CPU ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users