• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:04 AM

i get it LRMs cant do **** within 200M and spread damage but why all the hate

i no lrm boats cant defend them self's in a brawl

example v

but im shore theirs a way to stop all the LRM hate

is there away to make a good LRM build that no one will ***** abut ?

or some thing along these lines

my friend is captain LRM and he dose fine

he pushes he brawls and he gets kills

just like any body else with a ppc gauss build

so do LRMs attract bad players or do LRMs make you a bad player?

#2 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:14 AM

It more of the mechanics that encourage lazy play in lower teirs. And the salt from new/ bad players on how to handle them.

#3 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:19 AM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 24 March 2017 - 01:14 AM, said:

It more of the mechanics that encourage lazy play in lower teirs. And the salt from new/ bad players on how to handle them.

To be fair, there are plenty of experienced players that get killed by LRMs because they get sloppy and don't take proper defensive precautions. And that happens because they've convinced themselves of how bad LRMs are and that no one should use them. And while LRMs are sub-par, they can still wreck you if you get sloppy like that.

#4 BabyCakes666

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:25 AM

View PostEscef, on 24 March 2017 - 01:19 AM, said:

To be fair, there are plenty of experienced players that get killed by LRMs because they get sloppy and don't take proper defensive precautions. And that happens because they've convinced themselves of how bad LRMs are and that no one should use them. And while LRMs are sub-par, they can still wreck you if you get sloppy like that.

that's why my AMS battle master is a thing

taking counters are not that bad of an idea

the LRM meta is real atm to D:

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:37 AM

View PostBabyCakes666, on 24 March 2017 - 01:04 AM, said:

Best Inner Sphere mercenary commanders such as Jaime Wolf and Morgan Kell had piloted LRM boating Archers in lore. You don't see people laughing at them for using no-skilled noob tubes agaisnt Clans. Players in MWO are just narrow minded.

#6 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:43 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 24 March 2017 - 01:37 AM, said:

Best Inner Sphere mercenary commanders such as Jaime Wolf and Morgan Kell had piloted LRM boating Archers in lore. You don't see people laughing at them for using no-skilled noob tubes agaisnt Clans. Players in MWO are just narrow minded.

Since their mechs weren't sporting C3 networks their LRMs were direct fire only. So, whats your point? ...

#7 BabyCakes666

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:47 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 24 March 2017 - 01:43 AM, said:

Since their mechs weren't sporting C3 networks their LRMs were direct fire only. So, whats your point? ...

direct fire LRMs

this sounds sexy

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:55 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 24 March 2017 - 01:43 AM, said:

TAG/NARC were in use. IDF was still a thing. And they were fine with shooting those missiles from afar, with minimal risk to themselves. As captains should.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 March 2017 - 02:00 AM.

#9 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:58 AM

View PostBabyCakes666, on 24 March 2017 - 01:04 AM, said:

i get it LRMs cant do **** within 200M and spread damage but why all the hate

i no lrm boats cant defend them self's in a brawl

example v

but im shore theirs a way to stop all the LRM hate

Let me explain why people hate LRM's...

1) People think its a noob weapon that's easy to use - it's not. It has lots of counters, and a good lurmer needs just as much skill as a good sniper.

2) People say LRM boats don't "share the armor". We do. If we didn't than at the end of every match, the last mech standing would be a LRM boat. Instead, the last mech standing is usually a light. Also, LRM boating is meant to do maximum damage while taking minimum damage. It's called support and is a smart way of fighting. That's why the army first bust everything up with tactical cruise missiles and aerial bombardment before sending in foot soldiers. Its a smarter kind of warfare, so naturally, the people on the receiving end will object and call you a coward for bringing a gun to knife fight.

3) Spread damage - People don't like LRM's because they don't provide fast direct kills and lots of face time with the enemy. Instead, LRM's take their time to soften up the targets. The truth is, yes, LRM's are not a fire and forget insta-kill, massive damage weapon system. They are not meant to do that. What they are meant to do is soften targets up for those who use direct fire, and more importantly, control the battlefield by sowing fear and making the targets move into cover - effectively its a suppression weapon.

4) People thing using LRM's doesn't get you kills - This is a common misconception. LRM's actually do loads of damage and yes, they do get you kills. I've done more kills using LRM's than any other weapon system. Why? Because I get to damage the enemy at times most other non-LRM users do not. When they are far away, or I'm behind cover, or they have mistakenly wondered out of ECM coverage and out into the open. Also, I get kills when the enemy is trying to run away, and teammates are trying to catch up and line up a shot. I don't need to do that, I just fire and the LRM's get them and finish them off.

5) Inability to defend oneself - many players think LRM boats are the only mechs that can't defend themselves against 1 on 1's or against lights. Any Assault pilot, especially a Direwolf pilot will tell you that's plain wrong. It difficult for anybody to defend against lights (unless you're a SSRM boat), and being in a 5 UAC5 Dakka Wolf doesn't make it easier. The fact of the matter is, that a proper LRM boat should have good backup weapons. My most successful LRM boat builds usually have 3+ medium lasers, with 5-6 as optimal. These are extremely effective, and you can switch from a LRM support mech to a medium range brawler when your ammo runs out.

Conclusion:

LRM boating requires just as much skill as any other weapon system, and you should not underestimate it. When done properly, it is just as rewarding as dakka, sniping or laser vomit..

#10 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:18 AM

LRMs is the game's cancer mechanics. Many games have a cancer mechanic of their own, for example, in World of Tanks, its Artillery, and in World of Warships, its Carriers.

Balancing a cancer mechanic, even to the point its underpowered, never changes that its still a cancer mechanic.

#11 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:23 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 24 March 2017 - 01:55 AM, said:

TAG/NARC were in use. IDF was still a thing. And they were fine with shooting those missiles from afar, with minimal risk to themselves. As captains should.

Ahem, TAG/NARC mean exactly the same ... direct fire. Plus, given the actual proper (i.e. vastly superior) clan weapon ranges, if anything they've been shooting those missiles from effective clan engagement ranges. There is simply no way to compare that with what your average lurmer (sporting either C3 network or clan TC target sharing benefits absolutely for free) does in MWO ...

"Hate" is not LRM exclusive, I've wrecked an ERLL MystLynx with a CUAC2 boat the other day and he accused me of being "no-skill-cheap-meta-camper-something". We all saw that with pretty much everything, Gauss+PPCs generated plenty of hatred, laservomit, LRMs, dakka, even SRMs at some point, you'd be surprised but they still do ...

However LRMs are the only way for bads to produce at least some damage while being safe from the enemy fire, and thus the worst kind of bads tends to use them the most. The "hate" is directed more at the bads rather than LRMs. Because how often did you see the last guy on your team being an absolutely fresh LRM boat that couldn't do anything at all with 1-2 badly beaten up enemy mechs ...

#12 BabyCakes666

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:26 AM

View PostAnjian, on 24 March 2017 - 02:18 AM, said:

LRMs is the game's cancer mechanics. Many games have a cancer mechanic of their own, for example, in World of Tanks, its Artillery, and in World of Warships, its Carriers.

Balancing a cancer mechanic, even to the point its underpowered, never changes that its still a cancer mechanic.

sounds like some one gets NARC-ed a lot XD

#13 Skipmagnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:39 AM

My LRM boat doesn't have backup weapons. Then again, it's a 6 LRM5 Jenner 2c, so....

#14 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:51 AM

LRMs are the most circumstantial weapons that are available and also the weapon system with the most possible counters. (AMS, radardeprivation, ECM, speed...)
Last but not least its the only weaponsystem that solely depends on your enemys faults to be effective.

A mobile enemy that fades in and out of cover, as well as changing positions, sharing armor and using radar derp and ECM is next to immune against LRMs.
If this enemy is now not the only one acting this way in the enemy team and your team has multiple LRM mechs trying to get locks, those lurmy boys will take lots of heat without beeing able to fight back propperly.

Thats why predominantly LRM equiped mechs are a waste of tonnage and skill.

For every ton of LRM launcher and ammo you could use a weapon and heatsinks that doesn't require your enemy to be incompetent.

Edited by The Basilisk, 24 March 2017 - 02:53 AM.

#15 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:19 AM

View PostEscef, on 24 March 2017 - 01:19 AM, said:

I don't doubt it I'm just a guy crawling through tier 4 just trying get at least to tier 3 and level the mechs I got, but I just observe players how they react in the situation with lrms. Many stand for a good 2 to 3 seconds others try to get to cover. Even when watching players with lrms they still trying to get locks within 120m even with back up weapons they can use.

#16 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:23 AM

I don't hate LRMs, i hate the player that plays it badly, especially the damn potatoes that hang back and lurm despite having all that armor. People bringing LRM80 Supernova, and the arms aren't unlocked, not actively torso twisting. etc. etc.

And i admit, sometimes i get sloppy, sometimes i get narced in the middle of Polar Highlands and get ****** by hungry LRM-Boats.

But i tried it myself, and i know that it's hard to make it work.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 24 March 2017 - 03:24 AM.

#17 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:34 AM

Lurms get a bad rep because the weapon's qualities tend to attract players of a certain type and (low) caliber.

For every guy who uses lurms effectively, there's like 20 potato lurmers filling atlases with lrm60s and pounding rockets into terrain all game before getting his back cored out by a light.

No one's gonna remember the good lurmer who performs average. They're gonna remember the potato lurmer fatlas.

#18 BabyCakes666

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:40 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 24 March 2017 - 03:34 AM, said:

Lurms get a bad rep because the weapon's qualities tend to attract players of a certain type and (low) caliber.

For every guy who uses lurms effectively, there's like 20 potato lurmers filling atlases with lrm60s and pounding rockets into terrain all game before getting his back cored out by a light.

No one's gonna remember the good lurmer who performs average. They're gonna remember the potato lurmer fatlas.

that seams abut rite

#19 ZippySpeedMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 356 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dropship Earth

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:04 AM

Well there are 2 answers to this....

1) People using LRM's are stacking them ( LRM 20 x 4 ) and there is no real penalty to the user for doing so...

2) People are building high Alpha mechs at the cost of engine size ( thus speed ). When they get caught out in the open it sucks for them.

Again, as I've said repeatedly a simple solution would be for any ammo based weapon that is stacked past 2 start to jam, and we would see a decline in the stacking phenomena..

#20 Pyed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:15 AM

(This post only refers to PUGs, and particularly for higher-tier play)

Generally I don't mind when my team has a lurmboat on a medium or mobile heavy chassis.

But if you come on my team with a lurmboat assault or slow heavy, you can go **** yourself, because even if you do contribute it's only going be be because you lucked out with the enemies being sufficiently potato and the rest of us doing a good job of spotting for you (in which case the team has the initiative and is probably winning anyway).

Also, don't lurmboat lights, folks, unless maybe 35 ton and clam, because otherwise you won't have the ammo and firepower to do anything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users