Clan Flamers

11 replies to this topic

#1 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

Do they deal more damage/heat up things faster when using on armorless enemy? Like do they get some extra critical damage chance like machine guns?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

They used to. Then again flamers did zero heat transfer back then.

Now I don't know... Definitely not extra heat (although from a lore perspective they should since battlemech armor was really good about displacing heat). In terms of a tabletop perspective they did no such thing, though.

I do know that since the change flamers feel pretty worthless... but then again I didn't use them for the damage or the heat; I used them to blind people.
Posted Image
Something they can't do now.

Edited by Koniving, 25 March 2017 - 12:51 PM.

#3 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

Same stats as their IS counterpart (except 0,5ton weight instead of 1ton).
Critstats and heat transfer are identical too (4,5 heat, and additional 14% for 0.11dmg, 8% for 0.22dmg and 3% for 0.33dmg)
Damage tick is once per second (0.10dmg base on 0.10dps) even if you click it faster then once per second.

If i understand your question correctly, yes, the target needs to have an armor breach AND actual components left to roll a crit against.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 25 March 2017 - 01:56 PM.

#4 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

I've been told many times to not mix Machine Guns with Flamers because effects double but I have never understood reasoning behind this. It seems that even when you crit with flamer, damage is still so low it won't do anything(unless it's somehow rounded up).

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 25 March 2017 - 02:45 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 25 March 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

I've been told many times to not mix Machine Guns with Flamers because effects double but I have never understood reasoning behind this. It seems that even when you crit with flamer, damage is still so low it won't do anything(unless it's somehow rounded up).

No idea what they mean by effects doubling... or why you wouldn't want to mix the two other than having them on the same fire button (you don't want this).

Flamers have bad effects if you use them too long. MGs like to be used for long periods of time.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 25 March 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

its a bad idea because it encourages you to face tank an enemy for a long time. Face tank = bad

#7 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

In this case it's about face tanking shut down mech, attacking rear torso or just dancing around.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 25 March 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#8 Bows3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 229 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Location3 time World Champion

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

Don't use flamers for crit chance, use them for the extreme amounts of heat they put on their target, even 2 flamers can heat cap most targets in under 10 seconds, and the more you have the faster they work, say with 6 flamers you can heat cap most mechs in 2-3 seconds.

But to answer your question, clan flamers weigh half as much as IS flamers but that's the only difference.

#9 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:27 AM

Firstly, mg and flamer are pretty worthless damagewise.
Flamers are used to overheat enemies in close combat (common in scoutmode).

The reason folks suggestion to mix flamers and maschineguns is their synergy.
Both work similar, have similar range and require facetime. So if you constantly face someone @ 90 meter you might as well hold both, flamers and mgs on him.

Tho, the damage is still bad and it is nowhere near effective as twisting and alpha with ballistics and/or lasers.

Generally, if you have CQC build which has a lot of energy hardpoint, you can slap 1-2 flamers on it (firestarter, nova, etc)
Likewise, if you have unused energy hardpoints (srm griffin).

If you have a CQC build which happens to have ballistic hardpoints unused you might as well slap a couple of maschineguns on it (firestarter, urby, nova).

However, don't block your mainweapons with either maschineguns or flamers, use your hardpoints wisly.

Facehugging an enemy usually gets expoited by the enemy team pretty fast.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 26 March 2017 - 02:29 AM.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:06 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 26 March 2017 - 02:27 AM, said:

Firstly, mg and flamer are pretty worthless damagewise.

while Flamers do very little damage and 1-2 Machine Guns are pretty bad damage, when you get to 4 you are looking at 3.8 dps against armor, and several times that against structure thanks to their high critical hit chance.
1-2 MGs are hardly worth bothering with but 4-6 can be very effective

I am hoping we get the Piranah soon, a fast Clan Light Mech that has a varient with 12 MGs + 3 lasers, that would be more than 11 DPS against armor for 0 heat from the Machine Guns + suplementary damage from 3 ERML, SPL or ERSL, when that Mech comes along people would suddenly be complaining that MGs are OP when Kodiaks start dropping from completely fresh in 2 seconds.

#11 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:15 AM

Oh yeah, so in this case question should be - is it viable to replace Machineguns with Flamers? It seems that while Machineguns can get some reasonable damage amounts against structure, with their poor DPS/Crit Flamers will never get close and they are just there for heating things up? If so it would mean that Flamers and MG's can be used together.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 26 March 2017 - 05:16 AM.

#12 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

I say let your Flamer and MG freak flag fly.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users