De-Skirmishing, How To ?!

7 replies to this topic

#1 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

Reading through the different topics the question about preventing people from just playing every mode like its skirmish pops up nearly every topic.

So what brings people to skirmish and what could possible stop them?
There where different suggestions made:
- Better rewards for doing objectives
- Using FWs dropdeck
- "Endless" respawns
- Radar, Jammer and Airfield beeing more powerfull
- Repairbays

I think thats all I remember.
My first thoughts on these

- Better rewards
Would most likely bring some people to do the objectives, not everyone but the ones that wonder why they don't make money anymore with stoping others.
On the other hand it can lead to people just not voting the modes as they just want to stomp.

- Dropdeck
Haveing 4 drops gives you a bit of an option to either take a bit bigger risk on getting the objectives or change your tactis according to beeing defencive, capture energie or attacking.
It also works well in FW, I think and FW has a smiliar mode.
Problem is, none of the other modes uses a dropdeck and I am not certain everyone has even a dropdeck and using stock mechs isn't working that well.

- Endless respawns
Wouldn't go for endless but something similar to Battlefield or CoD where you have a fixed number of drops per team and every kill reduces that counter. Also taking objectives and holding them also reduces drops.
I think that this is a nice option as people who want to stomp can, they work for the goal of winning the game.
At the same time people who go for objectives also work on the goal if winning the game.
Problem I see here is how do we reward people. The current system rewards "damage done" (simplified). With a high number of drops the rewards for people could spike endless and that isn't something we and PGI might want. Also it still demotes the people who are doing objectives.
Quick idea would be to have all damage done by the team gethered and then devided by all.
Everyone getting the same (exept AFK) and I know you might carrie someone who isn't that good...yah that happens. No big deal IMO.

- Radar, Jammer, Air more powerfull
This is also something I could see as adding some balance. If one team just goes for the stop and the other has some people that do objectives they should get something in return that replaces the firepower lost by those running around and give them an edge over the stompers.
Let it rain fire from the sky...^_^
Drawback to this..Map should be asymetrical, as mention in another topic, with the capturepoints not beeing in the middle of the map but the side. That way a stopping group would have to decide to go either to snipe the captureing units or go for the base. Spliting would reduce their effectiveness.

- Repairbays
I don't see this as a solution. It would be more like a way to make captureing "easier". Except a sniper takes you out in one shot you have a chance to get into the fight.
Also it might make people retreat as they could come back later. Maybe that make some people thing more tactical instead of just going in.
Has the danger of turning into the quite oposite direction as people might stomp, get back for repairs and then just overrun the enemy base.

What are your thoughts? Any improvemnts on the ideas or got something better?

#2 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:20 AM

first thing would be to give more match score for objectives as proposed here:

https://mwomercs.com...-on-matchscore/

and here

https://mwomercs.com...__fromsearch__1

minimal work for PGI to adjust the matchscore formula. Benefit for all players that play objectives.
BAM, one step in the right direction.

Edited by Cyrilis, 27 March 2017 - 02:25 AM.

#3 needforsleep

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:38 AM

Mobile repair stations in each base. Make them destructible so lights have another objective.

#4 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

View Postneedforsleep, on 29 March 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

Mobile repair stations in each base. Make them destructible so lights have another objective.

TTK in this game is so low that repair stations won't do a whole lot other than make the winning team win harder. Once a battle starts there's really no running for anything but a Locust or an Arctic Cheetah, so unless your team wins the battle you have nothing left to repair.

#5 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

A trained monkey could rework the rewards for objectives.

Which begs the question, why hasn't it been done?

#6 Lehmund

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 219 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:02 AM

In my opinion, Invasion gameplay is the real game and Incursion is built for it. Should be fun there as-is or with slight tweaks.

QuickPlay is exactly that: a quick game and I think people will want to keep it a single drop.

However, overall, I do think the Rewards for QP and FW should be reworked on a per game mode basis to reward the Objectives i.e. you get better per mode Bonus C-Bills and XP. In some cases, the bonuses exist but aren't large enough.

Ex:
Skirmish: Bonus on KMDDs and Kills.
Siege: Bonus on Turret kills, Damage to Generators and Omega Cannon (attackers). Bonus on KMDDs and Kills (Defenders)
Conquest: Bonus on capping points.
Assault: Bonus on capping enemy base and protecting friendly base from cap.

You get the idea.

though these wouldn't prevent modes feeling like Skirmish, it would certainly make them feel a lot more like different modes in QP and reward players for playing the mode more and achieving intended objectives.

View PostNesutizale, on 26 March 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

Reading through the different topics the question about preventing people from just playing every mode like its skirmish pops up nearly every topic.

So what brings people to skirmish and what could possible stop them?
There where different suggestions made:
- Better rewards for doing objectives
- Using FWs dropdeck
- "Endless" respawns
- Radar, Jammer and Airfield beeing more powerfull
- Repairbays

I think thats all I remember.
My first thoughts on these

- Better rewards
Would most likely bring some people to do the objectives, not everyone but the ones that wonder why they don't make money anymore with stoping others.
On the other hand it can lead to people just not voting the modes as they just want to stomp.

- Dropdeck
Haveing 4 drops gives you a bit of an option to either take a bit bigger risk on getting the objectives or change your tactis according to beeing defencive, capture energie or attacking.
It also works well in FW, I think and FW has a smiliar mode.
Problem is, none of the other modes uses a dropdeck and I am not certain everyone has even a dropdeck and using stock mechs isn't working that well.

- Endless respawns
Wouldn't go for endless but something similar to Battlefield or CoD where you have a fixed number of drops per team and every kill reduces that counter. Also taking objectives and holding them also reduces drops.
I think that this is a nice option as people who want to stomp can, they work for the goal of winning the game.
At the same time people who go for objectives also work on the goal if winning the game.
Problem I see here is how do we reward people. The current system rewards "damage done" (simplified). With a high number of drops the rewards for people could spike endless and that isn't something we and PGI might want. Also it still demotes the people who are doing objectives.
Quick idea would be to have all damage done by the team gethered and then devided by all.
Everyone getting the same (exept AFK) and I know you might carrie someone who isn't that good...yah that happens. No big deal IMO.

- Radar, Jammer, Air more powerfull
This is also something I could see as adding some balance. If one team just goes for the stop and the other has some people that do objectives they should get something in return that replaces the firepower lost by those running around and give them an edge over the stompers.
Let it rain fire from the sky...Posted Image
Drawback to this..Map should be asymetrical, as mention in another topic, with the capturepoints not beeing in the middle of the map but the side. That way a stopping group would have to decide to go either to snipe the captureing units or go for the base. Spliting would reduce their effectiveness.

- Repairbays
I don't see this as a solution. It would be more like a way to make captureing "easier". Except a sniper takes you out in one shot you have a chance to get into the fight.
Also it might make people retreat as they could come back later. Maybe that make some people thing more tactical instead of just going in.
Has the danger of turning into the quite oposite direction as people might stomp, get back for repairs and then just overrun the enemy base.

What are your thoughts? Any improvemnts on the ideas or got something better?

#7 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

Asymetry is such a great concept, that if it isnt in the second pts, imma be kinda dissapointed. Put those batterries in a far corner. It just makes a lot of sense.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

the easiest way to deskirmish it is add respawns

I expect the faction warfare version of this gamemode will be better for that reason

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users