Why The Huge Fps Drops In The Last Six Months?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Alright. Six Months ago I was getting 60-70 FPS, and Now I'm seeing these massive drops from 50 down to 20.

Six Months ago my CPU was also running stock, and now it has a 800Mhz overclock. Six Months ago i was running an older 7850 GPU at stock speeds. Now I'm running a R9 270 with a large overclock. My computer has improved in specs, yet performance is abysmal in game.

In game. In the Training ground I can MAX the settings and hold between 50-70 FPS, with spikes up to 100+. In the game itself, all that happens by turning to ALL settings to low is an increase to minimum FPS. I expect some issues in game, but there is something seriously going wrong.

In training grounds, I see 100% GPU utilization, and about 50-80% CPU. In an actual game I see 40-50% GPU use and 40-60% CPU use.

There is no bottleneck in the actual game proper.

That's the odd thing, there's no bottleneck. Core 3 hit 100% use for a brief moment in the Training grounds, but 0, 1, 2, 4, 5 all showed less then 80% max. In the game proper, less then 70% was ever reached per core. There was no part hitting max utilization at all.

There's something odd going on when I connect in game. I expect some FPS cuts with more mechs active, and less frames being "predicted" by the system due to 24 individual sets of input commands in game, but...

This is absurd. Some help and Ideas on what it might be (Network issue? Something Server-side?) would be great.

System:

1090t @4Ghz
Asus Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard (CPU-NB @2600Mhz, HT@2600Mhz)
Kingston Hyperx Fury DDR3 2x 4gb 1600 10-11-10 @1.5v
R9 270 @1150Mhz, 1500Mhz Ram speed
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB
Corsair HX620 PSU

PS: The Overclock puts this CPU slightly above the Pentium G4620 if you need a recent measuring stick. About +3% on Quad core, and 50% Multi-core. Still down about 20% on Single Core however... Single core performance wise, this puts it at exactly half of a 7700K. Multi core, it reaches into the 70% range. It has fight in it.

EDIT:
PSS: A Little extra digging shows it almost matches the i7-6700HQ laptop chip. This is in my friends gaming laptop, and they report smooth frames above 60.

Edited by Mothykins, 27 March 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#2 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

You're CPU-limited. It's immediately obvious. The behavior exactly matches everything we already know about how the game behaves.

#3 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:48 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 27 March 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

You're CPU-limited. It's immediately obvious. The behavior exactly matches everything we already know about how the game behaves.

CPU limited with sub 70% CPU utilization on individual cores? Pardon? I was under the impression that with a CPU bottleneck you would see a CPU spike with the GPU dipping, not a below 50% drop on both. This requires more digging on my end for proper testing methodology.

Also, As I've been digging and asking around, It turns out my CPU's overall performance in synthetics matches the i7-6700HQ Laptop chip, which is used in some gaming laptops. This chip sees 60FPS+ average. I do not see why there would be so much discrepancy between the two chips in a real world application.

#4 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

You can dig all you want, but if people are CPU-limited with Skylake chips at 4.0GHz then I'm pretty certain your more than half a decade old AMD chip is, too.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

1. Make sure power options are set to High Performance.
2. The change in GPU was more of a side grade instead of an upgrade.

#6 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

Try to lower your CPU-NB and HT Link and see if you get any performance out of it.

While overclocking my fx8320 and ram, i had my cpu-nb and ht link a little higher than 2700mhz... a little testing
showed me an increased performance when lowering both settings down to 2000 and a bit (right now). RAM overclocked
settings are not very impacted by this on my setup...

With these settings, i could als lower the voltages a bit wich is also good :)

Also try out these configs, they helped me too:

https://mwomercs.com...23#entry5417223

The user.cfg and tuning.cfg from NARC BAIT.

Also after successfully and stable overclock, i activated all power saving stuff in the bios like cool n quite etc and set windows power profile to balanced and dont have any performance losses.

Good luck.

#7 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 27 March 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

1. Make sure power options are set to High Performance.
2. The change in GPU was more of a side grade instead of an upgrade.

Balanced Power Mode causes better CPU utilization in MWO in my case. No frame rate change there.

Not really, as the 7850 in question was the "crippled" XFX one with 1 gb of mem and couldn't hold a stable OC to save it's bloody life. I went from 60-70 FPS in Overwatch to 70-100. Seems like a good enough bump to me.

View PostThrudvangar, on 27 March 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

Try to lower your CPU-NB and HT Link and see if you get any performance out of it.

While overclocking my fx8320 and ram, i had my cpu-nb and ht link a little higher than 2700mhz... a little testing
showed me an increased performance when lowering both settings down to 2000 and a bit (right now). RAM overclocked
settings are not very impacted by this on my setup...

With these settings, i could als lower the voltages a bit wich is also good Posted Image

Also try out these configs, they helped me too:

https://mwomercs.com...23#entry5417223

The user.cfg and tuning.cfg from NARC BAIT.

Also after successfully and stable overclock, i activated all power saving stuff in the bios like cool n quite etc and set windows power profile to balanced and dont have any performance losses.

Good luck.

The Thuban Architecture needs higher HT and CPUNB to hold the overclock, it's a thing with the K10 cores. I could bring it UP to 2800 which might yeild more power, but It's stable and just under where I want it for thermals where it is. These things are sorta my babies, I am pretty dang sure of this CPU and where to make things run.

I'm digging into NARC's configs, and it does make a huge difference to minimums. Going to see what all can be done with it. Really sad that We have to do PGI's job. I'd rib them when I head to their office on Wednesday, but I'd rather get the job research I need for funding then bother them.
Balanced Power Mode causes better CPU utilization in MWO in my case. No frame rate change there.

Edited by Mothykins, 27 March 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#8 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:27 PM

View PostMothykins, on 27 March 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

Not really, as the 7850 in question was the "crippled" XFX one with 1 gb of mem and couldn't hold a stable OC to save it's bloody life. I went from 60-70 FPS in Overwatch to 70-100. Seems like a good enough bump to me.

The Thuban Architecture needs higher HT and CPUNB to hold the overclock, it's a thing with the K10 cores. I could bring it UP to 2800 which might yeild more power, but It's stable and just under where I want it for thermals where it is. These things are sorta my babies, I am pretty dang sure of this CPU and where to make things run.

I'm digging into NARC's configs, and it does make a huge difference to minimums. Going to see what all can be done with it. Really sad that We have to do PGI's job. I'd rib them when I head to their office on Wednesday, but I'd rather get the job research I need for funding then bother them.

Hmm ok, just saying.

For the .cfg thing, i didnt really changed anything in there. Played a little with the cpu affinities bit didnt had any impact i noticed. But having both cfg at all had a good performance increase for me.

Haven't played mwo for about a year right now but back then i could play it smooth at a slight OC at 4.2 to 4.5 ghz only with raised cpu multiplier, nothing else.. no it took a few days to oc more, oc ram, oc gpu.. but now it works... fortunately.

#9 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:42 PM

View PostThrudvangar, on 27 March 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

Hmm ok, just saying.

For the .cfg thing, i didnt really changed anything in there. Played a little with the cpu affinities bit didnt had any impact i noticed. But having both cfg at all had a good performance increase for me.

Haven't played mwo for about a year right now but back then i could play it smooth at a slight OC at 4.2 to 4.5 ghz only with raised cpu multiplier, nothing else.. no it took a few days to oc more, oc ram, oc gpu.. but now it works... fortunately.

FX runs different then Thuban, which runs differently from Deneb (Phenom II 965, etc.) Everything I've seen seems to show the FX chips like having a smaller NB bump just to play with L2 speed, where Deneb Needs the NB bump to stay with the memory and not get crashes from it, but the HT clock does jack all. Thuban wants HT to stay with the NB for the most part or it decided it's time to crash out as it throws errors.

It's weird.

#10 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

2010 Processor huh? You probably need a new CPU like wired said.

It may say 4.0GHz, but does that mean the cores and threading were made to handle MWO of today? probably not.

There's also the fact that MWO has had a history of not being optimized well, so Anything usually that's not Intel CPU or Nvidia Graphic Cards usually suffer in performance.

#11 Frederick Steiner A F

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationthe Blue Pearl in the black Space of the Milky Way of Sun's fading away

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:31 AM

Jep, cause that Chip is so old that Bf 1 @1080P with maxed out Settings (leave alone the AA, that was set at 2-4x) runs like Butter on a hot Toast, and why Wows runs at 4K (Dsr) smooth with over 60 Fps. Wthunder at Movie Settings maxed out with the Dolby Home Theater Thing in the Background that alone eats up to 5% runs around 70 to over 100 Fps. Armored Warfare runs smooth with maxxed Seetings. But it is the Chip..... tired to hear that. And its not the Game is also from 2012 around...Sorry, but maybe dig deeper at Cryengine and Crytek Support on Mwo.

Inb4 the Single Core Performance, Wows isnt much Multithreaded, as Transportfever and other of my Steamgames are. But they run well. And the Phenom was at SingleCore Performance a better Chip then the Bulldozers, cause they were opted for Multithreading ( a Thing most Gamecoders/Companys dont have done much for the last Decade...). As far as i know, they where the last "real" 6 Core Cpu´s from Amd a long time. Thats why i also was choosing one (1090t there too).

Edited by Frederick Steiner A F, 31 March 2017 - 07:41 AM.

#12 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

we changed the battlegrid .... and then we hot fixed it ... twice ... and each time .. it got worse ... I've tried to point it out to them ... but 'technical' don't seem to check their emails ... probably gets flooded with the majority of useless dxdiags ...

#13 Smooky the husky

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:48 AM

yeah i got the same issue i did think if i buy news cards i fixed my problem noop nothing to do ,, when you plays in the forest maps and huge city make me lag badly . 125 fps drooping to 2 fps ans 12 we go no where

#14 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:04 AM

its not a Problem thats only by the users ...MWO is a worst programmed Game with worst servers

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 04 April 2018 - 08:03 PM.

#15 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:01 AM

Obligatory: lol AMD

#16 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

View PostHGAK47, on 05 April 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

Obligatory: lol AMD

Just set up a system with an x370 and 1600x @ 4,1ghz.. it's beasting.

#17 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

I think Wired has this one right. I have experience with both AMD systems and Intel....there are so many factors in dips in FPS with MWO. We all know this game and PGI's coding is not optimized at all, and is the reason even the best computers have issues running this game. Sure, you have OC'd your rig, but are you sure it is 100% stable? What kind of cooling do you have on the CPU, and GPU? Custom water loop or Air?

There are so many factors, and one of them could be your OC is not stable, and when you keep increasing your OC, FPS can become worse..... even if your rig doesn't crash on you. Is your game play stable.....smooth during these dips? My old rig with a FX8350 @ 5ghz played smooth, but the Fraps scores I posted on here concerned Wired, and he thought I was crazy because I didn't see the dips or lag on my system with a 1440P 32" BenQ monitor. When I upgraded to a Intel I7 4790K @4.8 Ghz Stable.... I seen smoother game play, but I was still happy with my old Amd rig.

I am running a Ryzen 1700 @4.1 Ghz right now for my main gaming rig and paired with a Nvidia 1080 8gb seahawk, and couldn't be happier. :-)

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 06 April 2018 - 03:51 PM.

#18 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:02 PM

No time like the present to upgrade. Ryzen 2k series is coming out for what the old 1k series was priced at and that's sure to mean price drops on the old stuff. @Bill Lumbar who did you sell your soul to to have your 1700 hit 4.1? Mine still won't pass blender even at 3.9. Anyways gonna have a 2700X in place in a few weeks.

#19 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

I guess I hit the lotto, or dropped a **** load of money on my new water loop. lol I am not sure if I am gonna upgrade yet.... I considered going with a threadripper and a X399 Asrock board, but I think I am gonna wait till the dust settles.

#20 DFM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:12 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 05 April 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

Just set up a system with an x370 and 1600x @ 4,1ghz.. it's beasting.

At what voltages?

I could only get mine to 4.05 stable while staying under the "recommended" voltages using a AIO cooler.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users