Maps Mode BattleMechs

19 replies to this topic

#1 Pawss

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

Hey guys,

first time Really posting on here, Got a Question to the guys who have a better insight into the mind of PGI.

I really would like to know why they don't have the Steam workshop enabled ? Now before you all freak out about balance and all that (Which we all know is already all over the place)

I mean steam workshop working in the same way as CS:GO. People can submit there fully working designs be it for Weapons, modules, Huds, Items, Mechs and most importantly Maps. They can put them all on there where the community can comment and add ideas and all PGI need to do is every update Select 1 or more new maps and other things if they meet the standard and include them into the Update, Same as CS the items cannot be used outside of PGI approving them and adding them to the Game files removing an issue of people making unbalanced items and adding them. Insurgency had this problem with people making bright colored skins to see the enemy better.

They can have some skins/Huds for only c-Bills so there is no money changing hands eliminating the need to enter contracts with the skin designers as CS does, This would also give the people who ain't Whales to get some not as nice but better out for playing. Or just have T's & C's that items accepted into the game the creator will be allowed to name it and after relinquishes all claims to it. Lets be honest Most of you are Hardcore battletech fans and would just love to see the game grow and improve in more ways that jsut giving $45 every month for some new mechs which won't be used a month later.

Think the main point here is a bit more engagement for people not pumping money into the game to keep them around increasing drops and more people for faction play.

#2 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

I can see patterns being a possibility, but definitely not weapons, 'mechs or maps.

#3 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

Patterns, decals and cotpit items yeah, but mechs and weapons can't be done as they are set in preexisting lore.

#4 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

Why would PGI do any of the above while as it currently exists they are SELLING that stuff for real money?

Im not saying I don't like the idea, but that's not to their benefit fiscally.

As for maps, players have been begging for years to contribute to map making in various forms. Making them, having contests, allowing submissions, etc.

The generic reply is that it would cost as much or more to have PGIs people go over the maps than to build them themselves from scratch. Even if that's true I don't see why they wouldn't at the very least use those player submitted maps as a framework for making their own versions.

Plus....amazingly enough, the last time we heard each map costs $250,000 to make. Still can't see a downside fiscally for PGI to make use of the community, but honestly I wouldn't want to spend too much time inside the head of management anyhow.

Edited by TLBFestus, 28 March 2017 - 03:17 PM.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 28 March 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

Why would PGI do any of the above while as it currently exists they are SELLING that stuff for real money?

The workshop will only submit ideas. PGI wills till be earning most of the cash.

#6 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

PGI sucks at this ****. They can't even do the player made decal thing right lol

#7 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:56 AM

View PostGrimRiver, on 28 March 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

Patterns, decals and cotpit items yeah, but mechs and weapons can't be done as they are set in preexisting lore.

*cough*Roughneck*cough*

#8 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:03 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 28 March 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

As for maps, players have been begging for years to contribute to map making in various forms. Making them, having contests, allowing submissions, etc.

The generic reply is that it would cost as much or more to have PGIs people go over the maps than to build them themselves from scratch. Even if that's true I don't see why they wouldn't at the very least use those player submitted maps as a framework for making their own versions.

Plus....amazingly enough, the last time we heard each map costs $250,000 to make. Still can't see a downside fiscally for PGI to make use of the community, but honestly I wouldn't want to spend too much time inside the head of management anyhow.

I think to a certain degree, people just want different environment to play. Honestly, I am ok with 10-20 maps with varying environmental conditions and layout but no shadings or textures (like Test Map)

Those can't possibly take that much resource to make.

Release them and call them "Battle Simulation Map 1" or something like that. Honestly, if it's fun, who cares if you can't see a dead Atlas lying in the middle of no where? And by fun, just needs to be clever layout in terms of cover, elevation, chokes, and passes.

And THOSE, can totally be from Steam Workshop.

Low cost, fast implementation... like, why not?

Edited by razenWing, 29 March 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#9 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:07 AM

My main thought right now is because PGI doesn't want another screw-up like they had with the Tournament items last year, where their legal team messed up and the people who made the logos weren't getting money from PGI from it, and the word "sue" was flying around everywhere. And PGI isn't willing to write up a policy for giving people that submit work a % of the cut.

#10 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:08 AM

View PostCDLord HHGD, on 29 March 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

*cough*Roughneck*cough*

She's canon now though... CGL (Randall Bills) made it canon at MechCon....

#11 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:09 AM

View PostrazenWing, on 29 March 2017 - 07:03 AM, said:

Low cost, fast implementation... like, why not?

No money for PGI, thus idea dies .

#12 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

View PostThe Shortbus, on 29 March 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

No money for PGI, thus idea dies .

No direct money, but how much more people would have stayed because the game is longer (more maps to figure out) and attract more customers because the game is richer?

I think low cost maps like these are great return TBH. That's like saying you shouldn't put a strawberry on your cheesecake because at a glance, it adds no value. But then, your brand vs other people that are putting blueberries, and customers decide... why do I want a plain cheesecake? As a result, you lose customers...

Same thing, right?

#13 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

Probably because it would require them to take more time to develop tools for the community to use, and being a small developer team that's a lot to ask.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 29 March 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#14 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 29 March 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

She's canon now though... CGL (Randall Bills) made it canon at MechCon....

Just pointing out that is "can" be done. Lore is no longer a road block, more like a guide.

#15 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

View PostCDLord HHGD, on 29 March 2017 - 09:25 AM, said:

Just pointing out that is "can" be done. Lore is no longer a road block, more like a guide.

Posted Image

#16 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 29 March 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

Posted Image

Perfect. :P

#17 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

MWO with us being able to mod it is never going to happen. Unlike games like skyrim or fallout that have allowed mods to where players can create whole new areas/content/new games etc pgi clearly has said "f*** you" to this. I was one demanding and constantly asking just for workshop and mod support since I first found out of mwo on steam. MWO on steam is just another way to get players to buy more mech packs at higher than the actual store prices since Valve has to take their cut.

Be thankful there is even an "decal suggestion" thread rather than an actual tool or guidelines that the players can use to make and upload their own decals. Even with a moderated decal system suggestion has been vetoed by pgi. In short pgi will not let us mod mwo in any way lest the players find a way to make money from doing so thus pgi keeps their dictatorial control of it.

There are plenty of artists in the mwo community; to find them you just need to check the other subfourms for fan art and using mwo mech/asets.

#18 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

JediPanther, it is their game. And there are legal issues to worry about. Also is it really an "FU"? Don't you think you're taking it a little too personally?

#19 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 29 March 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

MWO with us being able to mod it is never going to happen. Unlike games like skyrim or fallout that have allowed mods to where players can create whole new areas/content/new games etc pgi clearly has said "f*** you" to this. I was one demanding and constantly asking just for workshop and mod support since I first found out of mwo on steam. MWO on steam is just another way to get players to buy more mech packs at higher than the actual store prices since Valve has to take their cut.

Well first off, this is an online game, not single player, so names like skyrim/fallout, or any number of 100's or 1k's of those games aren't even part of this conversation.

How many ONLINE games have mods, that are NOT private server style games, even if they have offical. I don't know about CS-GO, But is that the only one? Though thinking about it, i know of some online games that have mods, and you can run private servers, but that is completely different. CS started out as a mod anyway.

as for steam prices, on sale those are darn good deals. I'd of bought a some by this point if they were clan or IS only packages.. Seeing i have 2 accounts, i don't mix, so that makes them not appealing. I'm not spending money on a mech i would never use.. But even so, the timber package last year almost was worth it just for that.

as far as fan made art being brought into the game.. I think the few people that didn't like how PGI sold the art as part as a package.. (which is really the only way it would ever see the light of day in this game) Made that a thing that will NEVER happen. So you can thank the one or two people that had an issue with it to why it won't happen.. This is NOT on PGI

Edited by CJ Daxion, 29 March 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#20 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Great idea for vanity items.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users