#21 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

View PostNatred, on 12 April 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

Inner sphere mechs also used to be passed down from generarion to generation and be around for 100's of years. starleague held onto technology lost to the great houses which may have been more advanced then technology and schematics for superior mechs and weapons.. so

Not found in tech level one game play.... Also we are going to be out in the periphery... good luck getting SLDF tech, that hasn't already been lost in 265 years of combat.... At this point in time, there is no Star Leauge, it's bones were picked clean by the great houses, in the 265 years since it fell, their tech advantage was lost and forgotten. No-one knew how to build it again or keep it running.

#22 Skanderborg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

What role do light mechs have in battletech? They don't have the "hard to hit" factor as they do in this game.

Edited by Skanderborg, 14 April 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#23 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

View PostSkanderborg, on 14 April 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

What role do light mechs have in battletech? They don't have the "hard to hit" factor as they do in this game.

Yes they do, it's called movement modifiers... A Locust at tech one, running in a long straight line could get a +4 to hit mod, combined with you running +2, medium range +2 means that an average mechs jock is needing 12's, needing 14's at long and 10's at short...

#24 Skanderborg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 14 April 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

Yes they do, it's called movement modifiers... A Locust at tech one, running in a long straight line could get a +4 to hit mod, combined with you running +2, medium range +2 means that an average mechs jock is needing 12's, needing 14's at long and 10's at short...

Hmm , with that being said I'm no longer afraid to consider lights.

#25 Thinkagain01

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 73 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:33 AM

Ideal lance 2 Timber wolfs and 2 Mad dogs in IRL tabletop. With HBS i'd have 2 say.
Atlas
Clpt
Hbk
locust or thorn if possible

#26 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:40 AM

An Atlas, really? Looking at the timeline this could only be the AS7-D which I've always considered an underwhelming mech. It can make an ok anchor in a larger force with its supreme armor but in a small group like with the HBS game I'd consider it's weapon load-out flawed.

Not enough long range punch with its single LRM20 (and not enough reloads).
The AC20 is a solid weapon but once again too little ammo to be generous with your shots (Hunchback is a solid AC20 platform, 2 of these bring nearly the same weapon punch to the table with more movement for a similar tonnage).
Depending on how HBS handles rear-firing weaponry the 4ML and SRM6 make a good close range arsenal in combination with the AC20, once again, those reloads for that SRM6 though. If 2 of those ML are going to be rear fire only though that would worsen the mech.

#27 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:31 AM

Nah the best 3025 Assault Mech is the Banshee... although i wonder if those MLAS in the RT shouldn't be split into RA and RT® weapons wich would add some more flavor to the Mech.

#28 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:01 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 19 April 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

Nah the best 3025 Assault Mech is the Banshee... although i wonder if those MLAS in the RT shouldn't be split into RA and RT® weapons wich would add some more flavor to the Mech.

An oddly amusing 3025 era assault mech is the Charger A1... 5/8 movement makes for one hell of a charge damage... Though if you want a better rounded Charger, I much prefer the A5 variant 4/6, AC/20, 2x SRM/6 and 3 MLAS.

#29 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

There is confirmed limited modifications allowed in single player, but how they're doing in game, beyond locked engines and 1:1 hard points i don't know much else, but at least you can swap some things. Ac10/LLx2 atlas is buildable if not available stock.

#30 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:08 AM

I've modified the AS7-D files to use the RS. Sounds good on paper but in the HBS reality you have heat issues and you really want to use that armor in the front line not somewhere in the middle ground and letting your mediums get shot into pieces when they try to "see" the target.

I didn't expect that - but the AS7-D is the better Atlas

#31 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:52 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 12 June 2017 - 01:08 AM, said:

I've modified the AS7-D files to use the RS. Sounds good on paper but in the HBS reality you have heat issues and you really want to use that armor in the front line not somewhere in the middle ground and letting your mediums get shot into pieces when they try to "see" the target.

I didn't expect that - but the AS7-D is the better Atlas

The one time I fought an Atlas in the HBS game, my Battlemaster punched it in the cockpit... it made me laugh so hard when that happened...

#32 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:49 PM

View PostSkanderborg, on 14 April 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

View PostMetus regem, on 14 April 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

Additionally being fast means light mechs are not only hard to hit but also make good scouts because they cover distance quickly. In tabletop it doesn't matter because both opponents can see all mechs on the board but in a computer game like HBS Battletech or the much earlier Crescent Hawk titles if you can't see the whole map/mechs, scouting is very important. I never played Mechcommander but pretty sure it limited players view of enemies to a certain distance as well.

#33 Kara Ben Nemsi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

The Peace of Blake be with you.

View PostSkanderborg, on 04 April 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

If you had to make a lance of 4 mechs , what would it be?

Preta
Grigori
Deva
Seraph

Choose config according to mission. In a WoB Level II add one Grigori and one Deva.

View PostMetus regem, on 12 April 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

Guys, read the OP.... This is for the upcoming HBS title...

Heresy!

Edited by Nomex 09, 13 June 2017 - 07:49 PM.

#34 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:46 AM

For Kurita, I'd probably go with 2x Panther, 2x Dragon - 4 PPC and some spare change.

Other factions, other lance compositions.

View PostSilentScreamer, on 13 June 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

In tabletop it doesn't matter because both opponents can see all mechs on the board ...

Unless you play with double blind rules.

Edited by Exilyth, 15 June 2017 - 08:55 AM.

#35 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:37 AM

One setup for me will be

Flea ( yeah, dig in the beta files, theres one for the Flea among other mechs)/ Raven
Shadow Hawk/ Enforcer
Thunderbolt/ Marauder
Banshee/ King Crab

Setup 2:

Flea/ Locust
Kintaro/ Cicada
Warhammer/ Jager
Zeus/ Atlas

Edited by Tordin, 15 June 2017 - 09:42 AM.

#36 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:11 AM

Having played the HBS Battletech Beta, sofar I am in love with the Centurion family, also Battlemasters... I seem to have insane luck with them, as when ever they get into CQB, my Battlemaster is always head capping on the first punch.

#37 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

Recently I've played against-the-bot MegaMek campaigns, and there the match-making uses threshold values of 130, 200, and 280 tons for light/medium/heavy lances respectively. So you want to be close to those values.

Favourite all-arounder medium lance is something like:

Catapult/Crusader
Shadow Hawk
Wolverine
Commando

Total 200 tons. Catapult or Crusader is fire-support, Wolverine and Commando flankers/brawlers, Shadow Hawk a generalist command vehicle.

For a very quick recon lance I love this:

Phoenix Hawk 1D
Cicada 3C
Locust 1E
Locust 1E

Total 130 tons. Locusts wolfpack together, Cicada is an ultra-mobile fire-support vehicle with the PPC. Commander sits in a Phoenix Hawk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users