Balance BattleMechs

188 replies to this topic

#181 radiv

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:33 PM

View PostReza Malin, on 06 April 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

I understand all the usual pay to win concerns with this stuff.

Others may need to remember that the developer needs to keep making money for the shareholders.

You might be thinking, "oooh goodie, new tech in summer, i might spend some cash then".

You might even not be.

Regardless of our own in game goals for buying or not buying, the shareholders still want to see financial targets.

To that end PGI needs to try and keep generating cash profits. even in periods where the majority of us are waiting for future releases.

The best way to do that is to tempt people to buy things they desire. How do you make something desirable? You make it good. Some of these pods are good, just like some of the loyalty pods were damn good to try and entice people to buy mechpacks and claim the loyalty rewards.

Its just business. People take it as a personal slight. Offer them some other way, of making an equal amount of profit as these kinds of packages, and they will no doubt take it. There is a reason they have not come up with another method though.

Also, "offering just the pods for MC", or any other mickey mouse way round it won't cut the mustard. Then no one would pay the full price for the actual mech pack. As mentioned earlier, they want to make profits to keep the shareholders golden. Reducing the potential profit, to make it easy for buyers, is something no company does, ever.

Just be realistic about it.

Just be realistic about it?? You think adding p2w options in a ftp game is gonna help with profits? For everyone that buys something its gonna be someone that stops spending money, cus they game became p2w. An for everyone that says theyve done this before and blabla it wasnt so bad. Did they ever realeased like 7 powercreeps at once before

#182 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:38 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 06 April 2017 - 11:11 PM, said:

that clan component health Nerf went a longer way in helping balance the disparity in tech bases

lolno

#183 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:41 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 06 April 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:

You need to fix that. Also make it anonymous. It's a biased poll and won't actually accomplish what it's being purported as.

I made it anonymous but please explain why it's biased. It's purpose is not to ask if you think such a thing is needed but I could always add that question

#184 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:42 PM

View PostPika, on 06 April 2017 - 11:18 PM, said:

*Literally only half of the equation being presented*

gooby pls

#185 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:46 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 06 April 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

gooby pls

Work out X - show working plz. Then tell PGI.

(Pst, I play both sides rather religiously. That's how I see balance atm.)

#186 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:05 AM

View PostPika, on 06 April 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

Work out X - show working plz. Then tell PGI.

(Pst, I play both sides rather religiously. That's how I see balance atm.)

I play both, too. My time is pretty evenly divided between MLX/SHC and MAD/BJ. However, your tirade there is spinning falsehoods (Clan/IS DHS are identical in performance, for example, and IS in-engine ones don't have any special abilities) and otherwise not actually paying attention to A.) the math and B.) which 'Mechs get taken when push comes to shove.

So, you'll forgive me if I give you a very apprehensive squint.

#187 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:17 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 07 April 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

I play both, too. My time is pretty evenly divided between MLX/SHC and MAD/BJ. However, your tirade there is spinning falsehoods (Clan/IS DHS are identical in performance, for example, and IS in-engine ones don't have any special abilities) and otherwise not actually paying attention to A.) the math and B.) which 'Mechs get taken when push comes to shove.

So, you'll forgive me if I give you a very apprehensive squint.

Check your patch notes. Clan in-engine heatsinks are less efficient and suffer an even larger penalty than they used on an ST loss prior to the 24th Jan. It's not hidden. Here, I'll paste it:

"Clan XL Engines • The Cooling Efficiency Penalty from Side Torso destruction has been increased to 40% (from 20%).
and

First, it's critical to note that the penalty for Side Torso destruction only applies to the base Engine Heat Sinks and any Engine-mounted Heat Sinks. External Heat Sinks will continue operating normally in the event of a Side Torso destruction until either their component in which they are mounted is destroyed, or the Heat Sink itself is destroyed from a critical hit."

Bolded the important part. I never claimed IS ones had special abilities. For 'Mechs that already run hotter than most of their IS counterparts, losing 40% efficiency from your engine mounted HS on an ST loss is a pretty big change. And Clans don't have the option to drop down to an STD to mitigate that. You get what you're given.

Edited my first post for clarity. We can't have the Clan hate crusade having to use their noggin now, can we? :D

Edited by Pika, 07 April 2017 - 12:19 AM.

#188 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:31 AM

View Postradiv, on 06 April 2017 - 11:33 PM, said:

Just be realistic about it?? You think adding p2w options in a ftp game is gonna help with profits? For everyone that buys something its gonna be someone that stops spending money, cus they game became p2w. An for everyone that says theyve done this before and blabla it wasnt so bad. Did they ever realeased like 7 powercreeps at once before

Not really mate. I think a lot of the people complaining are the ones who drop the least cash on the game. Hence the complaints.....

They take it personally because of that, when in fact its just business.

The bottom line is none of this so called P2W gives any more of an edge as you can get in other mechs. It just makes certain chassis more relevant in comparison.

Its not the P2W holocaust some are trying to make out.

Edited by Reza Malin, 08 April 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#189 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:39 AM

View PostPika, on 07 April 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:

I never claimed IS ones had special abilities. For 'Mechs that already run hotter than most of their IS counterparts, losing 40% efficiency from your engine mounted HS on an ST loss is a pretty big change. And Clans don't have the option to drop down to an STD to mitigate that. You get what you're given.

You did say it, you just edited your wording in the previous post to provide better clarity. Which is fine, but perhaps post slower next time so you don't end up in this position.

That said, I'm familiar with the patch notes. So you take a heat penalty when the ST goes. Okay, neat, how does that really change anything? Half of the weapons are gone, too, and that isXL is still dead. The STD IS 'Mech is also dead, because he overheated from not enough DHS, barely put a dent because not enough firepower (quantitatively and/or qualitatively), and/or he didn't have the agility to spread damage as well as the big XL.

Only IS laser-boats can more or less match the Clan option, but only after quirks...which are haphazardly applied at best. If the is ERML ends up having the same heat as standard MLs and the standard ML gets reworked to compensate, then LFEs will even it up without quirks, but not until then.

Also, I find your hyper focus on OmniMechs to be of limited (read: zero) value, because there are Clan BattleMechs and because there are IS OmniMechs which we may or may not get at some point and will suffer the same drawbacks to a greater degree. Even then, the "sub-optimal" engines in those Clan OmniMechs still typically enable builds that IS 'Mechs can't match even with more "optimal" engines. Sub-optimal in the MechLab they may be, but practical application is a different story.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users