• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

View PostLorcryst NySell, on 07 April 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

Of course.

But from my point of view, the game is good, and is getting better.

I've lived through some horrible times on other MMOs, honestly this game is in better shape than most.

My POV is that the game is super stale (it's mechpacks or bust) and making next to no progress on any front (let alone critical bugfixing).

There's simply too many other games that put more effort and pride into their work... which is the greatest problem this game faces on a daily basis.

#122 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

Does anyone think that we'll see a short term drop in players around Battletech's release?

#123 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:56 PM

View Postcazidin, on 08 April 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

Does anyone think that we'll see a short term drop in players around Battletech's release?

Possibly, but only the lore nerds... MMO players who came here to do stompy robots after other games won't like the turn sequence play.

#124 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

Anyone who believes a player base does not fluctuate due to a multitude of external and internal influences is either feigning ignorance or is driving an agenda...

Edited by DaZur, 09 April 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#125 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

View PostDaZur, on 09 April 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

Anyone who believes a player base does fluctuate due to a multitude of external and internal influences is either feigning ignorance or is driving an agenda...

I don't know about you but I did notice a spike in wait times when Fallout 4 just came out.

#126 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostDaZur, on 09 April 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

Anyone who believes a player base doesn't fluctuate due to a multitude of external and internal influences is either feigning ignorance or is driving an agenda...

FIFY

#127 Tyroki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 05 April 2017 - 02:16 AM, said:

Here's a few ideas I have of how to bring more players to the game:

1) Add new content - not mechs. Content. This means maps, game modes, objectives, and storied events.

2) Advertise! I'm from Croatia. Most people here have never heard of MWO, but I see World of Tanks or World of warships banners regularly.. why is that?

3) Sponsored factions - appoint PGI employed faction leadership for every faction, wit every faction's TS server, and manage them. Pit them against eachother in a realistic in-game war.

4) Add immersion - make the game more about the story, the honor, the glory and the horrors of war, and less about the next mech pack. You don't need much to do this. Instead of a lucky charms event, have a "Reclaim Procyon" event or "Defend the noble Kurita family" event. Make the events into a story, and add simple mechanics to achieve this.

5) Make people famous - Introduce "play of the day" rewards, news from the front line, and live streams of matches.

6) Lower mech pack prices - Does a mech really have to cost 20$? Why not 15$? or 10$? Would not more people buy them if they were cheaper? How about MC prices? I'm sorry, but for me, the cost of a paint-job and a sandwitch are about the same, and sorry, but I choose a real life meal instead of a mech paint..

7) Introduce more vanity money-sinks - custom mech geometry, custom mech bay geometry, trophy rooms, named weapons and equipment... you can sell us much more stuff that people would buy.. and the cheaper you make it, the more people will be able to afford it..

8) Make it easier for people to learn the game - sponsor/reward trainers and remove MC requirement for personal matches

9) Make a "Mechipedia" section, so new players who don't know about battletech can familiarize themselves with the setting and fall in love with the lore and the game. Its not enough to know that an Atlas is a big bad assault mech. People would LOVE to learn how it came to become that, and why. And how it all works. The more people immerse themselves in the setting, the more people will want to play and spend money on the game.

Ideas for getting more revenue:

1) More customization - custom mech bays, custom mech geometry, custom mech pilot skins, cutomizable rooms like a trophy room, or barracks, or other rooms, display case for trophies, collectable cockpit items with special visuals or sounds if you have a set..

2) Lowering prices - the more people can afford your products, the more people will buy.. 20$ for a mech that will be out for free in 2-3 months is alot.. 5-10$, not so much.. A single mech in a game that has 200+ mechs that costs almost as much as some other full fledged games is too much for many people.

3) Marketing! Your game does not have enough pomp and circumstance, not enough hype.. HYPE IT UP! Make people want to play, make people aware you exist!

4) Make the game more popular by adding quality content described above - more happy players = more paying customers

One would think these things would be self-evident, but since it's still not part of the PGI business model, I hope this would be food for thought to who ever is in charge of such things..

(I know it's probably just a waste of text, but a guy can dream).

I know I'm late, but I just wanted to say that this is a damned solid post.
This game is Battletech at face value. There is none of the depth.
The pricing is awful.
The amount of content is limited.

Honestly, if PGI took to this properly, this could have been huge.
Instead it preys on fans of the tabletop and the games.

#128 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

Speaking as someone who has played MWO for the last 5 years and put a bunch of money into it, currently my wallet is closed.

Why? Because the only tings to buy are mechs and premium time. As for mechs, I have mechs I haven't played in over a year. As for premium time, I don't see a need for it.

Give m something to spend money on.

As someone earlier in this thread said - Crowd fund a new map (or several).

Or crowd fund a new game mode.

#129 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

View PostAthom83, on 09 April 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

FIFY

Thanks... Big fingers, a smartphone and not bothering to proofread before sending. Posted Image

#130 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 08 April 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

My POV is that the game is super stale (it's mechpacks or bust) and making next to no progress on any front (let alone critical bugfixing).

There's simply too many other games that put more effort and pride into their work... which is the greatest problem this game faces on a daily basis.

I've waited for 2 years for PGI to add something to rekindle my interest in this game. I've followed and looked forward to infowar, rescales, CW changes, and skill tree revamps and everything has been failures and let downs. So much potential wasted.

#131 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:41 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 08 April 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

Possibly, but only the lore nerds... MMO players who came here to do stompy robots after other games won't like the turn sequence play.

Like a reverse Fallout?

#132 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:45 PM

View PostDavers, on 09 April 2017 - 07:24 PM, said:

I've waited for 2 years for PGI to add something to rekindle my interest in this game. I've followed and looked forward to infowar, rescales, CW changes, and skill tree revamps and everything has been failures and let downs. So much potential wasted.

If PGI spent time refining stuff by reading and acting on relevant feedback, they wouldn't be wasting the kind of time they they are using.

When your plan "appears" to "not having a plan" (or a logical methodology), it's hard to get to a suitable/usable result.

Edited by Deathlike, 09 April 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#133 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:02 AM

Not going to crowdfund a map knowing its not going to be voted enough to play on. Map voting needs to go first.

#134 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:14 AM

yes make more advertising, even stupid World of Tanks does tv advertising in germany.

Edited by Lily from animove, 10 April 2017 - 01:24 AM.

#135 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:56 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 07 April 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

Giving money or not giving money guarantees nothing if the improvements aren't there.

Actually it does guarantee one thing ... People who give money will think that they are better than those who don't, and people who don't give money will think that they are better than those who do. Which is clearly displayed in this thread.

#136 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:04 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 09 April 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

If PGI spent time refining stuff by reading and acting on relevant feedback, they wouldn't be wasting the kind of time they they are using.

They can't because they can't tell what feedback is relevant and what isn't. They only releveant feedback for them is when there are 100 posts within a day about the same thing with threats of quitting the game like we had during Lurmocalypse, Lurmocalypse 2.0, Minimapocalypse or Weaponjammedcalypse. Such examples and the fact that PGI actually went through and implemented these things tells you all you need to know about their ability to use brains.

#137 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:16 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 08 April 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

Well, this leads to an intriguing question:

What portion of the remaining population is that?
I mean if you buy the central premise of your OP, namely that we have lost 23000 players in the last 9 months (I don't buy that, btw), how many of the remaining - lets call it 30000- are going to leave when the only other BT game since MWO drops? 10%, 20%, 30%? Just how many "lore nerds" are there?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users