Direwolf Needs Quirks

70 replies to this topic

#1 Merlin Kell

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:31 PM

Saved up the 17 million cbills to purchase a Direwolf and was i disappointed.

It is immediately targeted once spotted. Its speed and agility mean targeting anything moving is a chore. With the new assaults that have come out i think the Direwolf needs some love to bring it up to par with other mechs. Thoughts ?

#2 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

Really, it just needs moderate agility quirks but PGI won't because it's the Dire Wolf.

#3 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

Get in line with everything else. Firestarters don't even get leg armor, something that should be standard on lights. I guess we're still back at the release of the Firestarters when it was the super leet machine not a light scaled to the size of a medium.

Though hopefully after the skill tree, engine decoupling, new weapons and whatever else, they'll revise what mechs need quirks.

#4 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:42 PM

3x UAC/5 + 2x UAC/10 or 6x UAC/5 if you have the Utraviolet.

Always move with the team and don't show yourself (let the enemy come to your guns).

#5 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

View PostMerlin Kell, on 06 April 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

It is immediately targeted once spotted. Its speed and agility mean targeting anything moving is a chore. With the new assaults that have come out i think the Direwolf needs some love to bring it up to par with other mechs. Thoughts ?

Eh not saying it couldn't use a bit of help but you just have to set yourself up properly and understand its limits it can definitely do work.

#6 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

its slow, which makes it nearly unusable in PugQue,
its 100Ton, which makes it Useless in GroupQue vs a KDK,
FactionQue? see above,

theirs nothing the DWF can do that the KDK cant do better,
(other than Running 6-8AC2s but even that is a sub optinal build)

i think it should get 32CT structure,
it will give it more Survivability, with out increasing its power level as taking out a ST will still hurt alot,

#7 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:46 PM

Ahem... One of my favoritestist builds is a Direwolf with 7 ClanAC/2, 16 tons of ammo, a TC and CAP. Kodiaks cannot do that... It has staying power at 1100 meters.

#8 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 06 April 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

its slow, which makes it nearly unusable in PugQue,

Dakka Wolf is still pretty strong in QP.

You just need to hang back (which means move with the team and let them share damage with you) and pray that your teammates don't split up and go all over the map.

#9 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:57 PM

OH NO! clan mechs that aren't really solid mechs / better than IS mechs!

I do notice that dire wolfs aren't as scary as other mechs (kodiaks?) but overall I don't see it being any worse than IS assualts

#10 Druarc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 180 posts
  • LocationWellington, NZ

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:57 PM

The splatter wolf is fun 2x20lbx and a 10lbx

#11 Jettrik Ryflix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

It all depends on what you compare it to.

Compare it to a Kodiak, then sure... it needs a lot of quirks to meet that level of dominance.
Compare it to a King Crab, or even an Atlas... and the Dire Wolf mops the floor with them.

I will admit that the Dire Wolf is much harder to play now, since the game has sped up... but there are MANY mechs (mostly Inner Sphere) that need help before the Dire gets any.

#12 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

Just wait for the skill tree it's getting help. Engine decouple will be a buff , uac/lbx skills and armor skills coming

Not even counting what you might be able to do with the new tech.

On a side note if you just got these they get a lot better after you master them and learn how to position for slower big boned mechs.
:)

Edited by Monkey Lover, 06 April 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#13 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

View PostMerlin Kell, on 06 April 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

While i agree Direwolf needs love. Quirks, agility boost.

I'm pretty sure that you need practice first. Particularly positioning.

View PostProsperity Park, on 06 April 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

It has staying power at 1100 meters.

Hopefully your team is also at 1100 meters too. Cause seriously one stray light, and you're in trouble.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 06 April 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#14 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

Fine as is.

Like any other mech learn the ins and outs, the pros and cons... and use them to your advantage.

The Dire Wolf is one of those mechs where you need to know where you going to go ahead of time, so hit B and start plotting a route (also share that info with the team so they can move accordingly, those rare moments do happen).

Also, you're not a tank... you're area denial. Keep that in mind.

#15 Merlin Kell

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

I was not suggesting that the Direwolf is not serviceable. You can do very well in it. What i was saying for mechs of similar tonnage and cbills it simply does not move well. The Inner Sphere pilots claiming that IS assaults need love must not have piloted many IS assaults. I have piloted all the Inner Sphere assaults and can tell you, NONE move as sluggish as a Direwolf. I can do much better in a Victor,Highlander,King Crab, Atlas or even a Zeus than the Dire.

#16 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

It needs new type of quirk - one that adds extra damage.

#17 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

If OP can't kill something of equal of lesser weight 1v1 in a DWF, then the problem lies with a root vegetable.

If OP ends up face tanking more than 1 mech, then the problem STILL lies with a particular root vegetable.

As much as most of us think MWO is CoD with mech skin, I have to admit in reality, this game is like getting a Bachelor degree for most people who came from the likes of Overwatch or Titan Fall.

#18 Merlin Kell

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

View PostSQW, on 06 April 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

If OP can't kill something of equal of lesser weight 1v1 in a DWF, then the problem lies with a root vegetable.

If OP ends up face tanking more than 1 mech, then the problem STILL lies with a particular root vegetable.

As much as most of us think MWO is CoD with mech skin, I have to admit in reality, this game is like getting a Bachelor degree for most people who came from the likes of Overwatch or Titan Fall.

The OP (Me) had a 1.42 K/D ratio compared to your 1.24 in season 9. So if your calling me a potato, whats up fellow spud.

#19 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

It really just needs a greater yaw angle to torso twisting. At least let it turn a full 90 degrees to each side. That is what killed it for me.

#20 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

View PostGimpy117, on 06 April 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

OH NO! clan mechs that aren't really solid mechs / better than IS mechs!

I do notice that dire wolfs aren't as scary as other mechs (kodiaks?) but overall I don't see it being any worse than IS assualts

Then use a Battlemaster and watch as the Dire Wolf is entirely unable to damage you due to your higher speed and high mounts.

Really though, can we stop with the whole IS vs Clan rivalry when asking to buff subpar mechs? Some IS assaults need buffs and the Dire Wolf also needs buffs. Many mechs seem nearly extinct on both Clan and IS side due to newer and better models that happen to be able to hold the meta of the month.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users