Question

26 replies to this topic

#1 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Can someone explain this to me? I keep hearing it referenced. Such as in terms of builds they will give the damage with the annotation that it includes the splash damage but I can't find anything about what the splash damage actually is

#2 Alreadythere

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

Clan ER PPCs do 10 direct damage to the component hit, and 2.5 Points each to two other adjacent components if possible.

If you hit an arm/leg, you'll only get the respective side torso splashed for 12.5 total damage.

IS PPCs and ER PPCs don't do splash damage.

Edited by Alreadythere, 11 April 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#3 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

Ty I really wish pgi would do a better job in their weapon explenations in game. Do the ppc still have the counter ecm effect? I saw stuff about that when looking for info on this

#4 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostCichol Balor, on 11 April 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Ty I really wish pgi would do a better job in their weapon explenations in game. Do the ppc still have the counter ecm effect? I saw stuff about that when looking for info on this

Yes, all PPC's will cancel the ECM effect for a few seconds.

We all wish PGI would explain things better in game :(

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

if PGI produced a comprehensive manual explaining everything it would take hours to read, and every few months when something gets updated/changed/added the manual would require a significant rewrite to take everything into account.
I agree documentation could be better and I have seen some very good player writen guides, unfortunately those do get outdated pretty fast, and while the player may keep them up-to date for a while within 6 months the dozens of hours they put into it are wasted because the whole thing is out of date.

if I am doing basic training with a new recruit to the unit I will spend 4-6 hours (usualy over a few weeks, although I have done it all in one go a few times) going through game mechanics, including several hours of drops, some private matches and a 90+ minute conversation explaining things like Ghost Heat, critical damage, weapon charactoristics, what equipment does what, what the modules do, pros and cons of the upgrades, what the quirks are, significance of hardpoint locations and ensuring the player can understand how to build a Mech for various roles.

there is a lot to know and those of us who frequent this forum are very happy to help so if you want to understand something better, ask and people will answer your question

#6 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:31 AM

View PostCichol Balor, on 11 April 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Yes,and the duration varies a bit depending on which PPC type, but with no big differences.

#7 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:50 AM

That comprehensive manual RJ mentioned exists.

It's called the forums.

I wish that were a joke.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:47 AM

View PostJingseng, on 12 April 2017 - 03:50 AM, said:

It's called the forums.

I wish that were a joke.

Even here, the game gets updated monthly and sometimes someone has not read the most recent patch notes, or just skimmed over them so even those of us who do try to keep up-to date on everything can, inadvertantly, give out of date advice.

Some things like Mech advise are down to persional preferances, so if Myself, Tesunie, Koniving, Jingseng and Roughneck, to name a few of the regulars) will give diferant advise to the same set of requirements, our sugestions will likely overlap but not be the same because of diferant skillsets, experiances and preferances.

Also anything 3 months old may well be out of date (patches happen once a month and often change quirks or add/adjust features), especialy if someone is recomending a chassis based on its quirks, so it realy is worth asking rather than doing a search to find your information

#9 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 11 April 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

if PGI produced a comprehensive manual explaining everything it would take hours to read, and every few months when something gets updated/changed/added the manual would require a significant rewrite to take everything into account.
I agree documentation could be better and I have seen some very good player writen guides, unfortunately those do get outdated pretty fast, and while the player may keep them up-to date for a while within 6 months the dozens of hours they put into it are wasted because the whole thing is out of date.

if I am doing basic training with a new recruit to the unit I will spend 4-6 hours (usualy over a few weeks, although I have done it all in one go a few times) going through game mechanics, including several hours of drops, some private matches and a 90+ minute conversation explaining things like Ghost Heat, critical damage, weapon charactoristics, what equipment does what, what the modules do, pros and cons of the upgrades, what the quirks are, significance of hardpoint locations and ensuring the player can understand how to build a Mech for various roles.

there is a lot to know and those of us who frequent this forum are very happy to help so if you want to understand something better, ask and people will answer your question

Yeah I guess it's too bad things like weapon tool tips don't exist :/ and they have done such a good job with the loading screen tips it's not like other games where you just see the same 20 or so tips over and over. And it's just to much work for a company like this to properly maintain a wiki. Your right they would just have to keep making and updating a manual it's the only way

#10 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

View PostCichol Balor, on 13 April 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

Yeah I guess it's too bad things like weapon tool tips don't exist :/ and they have done such a good job with the loading screen tips it's not like other games where you just see the same 20 or so tips over and over. And it's just to much work for a company like this to properly maintain a wiki. Your right they would just have to keep making and updating a manual it's the only way

Actually, some of those loading screen tips are out of date =p

And like in faction play, the announcer still says artillery (it was replaced with a radar jammer =p )

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:27 AM

View PostJingseng, on 14 April 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

And like in faction play, the announcer still says artillery (it was replaced with a radar jammer =p )

All that hate for the Long Tom.

Although with a "tactical nuke" that can do up to a maximum of 1,350 damage per mech and unlimited in how many mechs it could damage so long as they are in the blast area.... is it any wonder? It also had double the radius of its BT counterpart.

Thing is.. BT's Long Tom's damage per shell is 30 if you're within 30 meters of the impact, 20 within 60 meters, and 10 if you're within 90 meters. That's 270 damage. Double it to counter for 2x armor... 540 damage total (if you had 19 mechs within range, the maximum that could be within BT). So that's about 28 damage per mech, give or take if you were to evenly spread the damage.

PGI messed up Long Tom big time.

Side note: Long Tom is a 90 ton trailer vehicle, the cannon itself is only 30 tons and it has 10 shots per 1 ton of ammunition. Its shell size is about the same as you see in MWO's Inner Sphere AC/20, though much longer.

Edited by Koniving, 14 April 2017 - 07:28 AM.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

View PostJingseng, on 14 April 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

One of the things which impressed me about those loading screen tips is that at least some of them seem to check your key bindings, several of them mention my non default key map, and one even comes up with "press unbound" because that is a command I do not use and thus do not have bound to any key on the keyboard.
I think that CW one is the only one which is out of date, and several have been updated after changes

#13 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

I actually didn't mind the LT myself. Yes it was ridiculous OP. But it also made scouting and grabbing intel (win or lose) meaningful (if indirectly). The radar jamming that we have now is simply pointless.

LT is also one of those things that is countered by simple awareness (communication would make it even more easily avoided).

Edited by Jingseng, 14 April 2017 - 09:54 PM.

#14 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:49 PM

View PostJingseng, on 14 April 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

I actually didn't mind the LT myself. Yes it was ridiculous OP. But it also made scouting and grabbing intel (win or lose) meaningful (if indirectly). The radar jamming that we have now is simply pointless.

LT is also one of those things that is countered by simple awareness (communication would make it even more easily avoided).

You should watch the B33fs video, Long Tom Suicide Squad.

#15 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:33 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 14 April 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

One of the things which impressed me about those loading screen tips is that at least some of them seem to check your key bindings, several of them mention my non default key map, and one even comes up with "press unbound" because that is a command I do not use and thus do not have bound to any key on the keyboard.
I think that CW one is the only one which is out of date, and several have been updated after changes

Yeah, the keybindings are inserted into the text as strings, I had to replace all of those with the default keybindings for readability when I posted a full list I pulled from the game files. They've been updated at least once since then so that list is out of date.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 16 April 2017 - 03:35 AM.

#16 Serpentine Shel Serpentine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:03 AM

View PostJingseng, on 12 April 2017 - 03:50 AM, said:

It's called the forums.

I wish that were a joke.

I think that PGI can afford to hire someone to keep a wiki manual up to date for reference. Instead as
Pointed out it crowd sources the job to the players many of whom have already paid a lot to play. I know you can play for free but I'm a new player and I've already spent more than I care to admit to another human being.
I doubt I'm along hiding by the enthusiasm for there game on here, the many youtubr channels, etc. we should iee asking for it and maybe we'll get it. But it's great also that the community is willing to try to fill the gap .. but it's inefficient since PGI knows the rules of the game and we have to research i through path notes,
Trial And error etc. -- and as many have mentioned sometimes players get it wrong.
PLEASE PGI . Hire someone right out of college to keep up a
Manual! Thanks!

#17 Delgear

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:59 PM

Their best bet would be to have the tool tips in game reference all the variables .... much like heat or damage .... that would minimize the amount of updating they need to do themselves .... make the tool tip include splash damage and reference the actual splash damage variable in the code ..... that way if the variable changes ... boom tool tip updates itself.

I think also they are still tossing around the problem of what exactly to do with missiles ......
I understand their fear at one time missiles were a touch too strong, but right now people don't even buy ams unless its polar highlands or something ....

best suggestion i have is make the tag and narc have even range with LRM's and have the game record where the tag or narc is hitting on the enemy mech at launch (and check again at the top of arc on tag) .....and make the missiles go to that component .... and group tighter ... this way it makes the missiles function more like a regular weapon ... you either have to land a good shot with the narc, or hold the tag in position(like a RAC) .... if you fire them with neither .... then they work as is ....

higher risk = higher reward .... aka tag>narc for this feature ... as the tag has to be held and telegraphs position and also provides facetime ...

This way missile boats have 4 ways to go ..... indirect(lots of missiles, super safe), Peek and poke(narc and hide higher damage than indirect but lower than tag), Tag and bag (most accurate and higher damage but risky), Surgeon(highest skill risk required with having to land a narc and tag but most of fire goes to desired location).

it would also be nice if targeting computers helped go around cover slightly.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:47 PM

Posted Image

#19 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:29 PM

Necro thread. But I'll chip in and say, they need a mechlab tutorial added to the MechWarrior Academy. Even if it was just the narrator guy telling you about the specific mechanics of weapons.

#20 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:12 PM

View PostKoniving, on 14 October 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

That's what happens when forum searching works again after being non functional for multiple years I think.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users