11 replies to this topic

#1 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

As the title says, must I have team speak? If so, then this counts me out as I cannot use Team speak. Why you ask? Because I cannot hear well enough to use it since I lost half my hearing when I was 9.

I just wish Team speak could use Speak and Spell like my smart phone does.

Edited by Christophe Ivanov, 11 April 2017 - 08:03 PM.

#2 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

It is not a must but most units would prefer it. Ask the different units and I am sure some of them well allow you to use discords, or text only, or whatever you find most comfortable.

#3 Ghostryder

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, USA

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:55 PM

There are some other methods, but it is really dependent on the unit and the pilot. We have started to experiment with the Google doc speech to text, so anyone shared on the document can speak and it gets typed out. There is some lag time with it, but our folks with that issue seem to find it useful. And it gets them incorporated into the drop.

If you want more info, ping Shadowfax13 over at CGBI, he seemed to crack that particular code.

#4 Ghostryder

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, USA

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

And btw, apologies if I stepped on any paws!

#5 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

First thanks guys for the replies :) Google speak? Humm....I'm a gluten for learning new stuff and will check it out. Again, thanks! :)

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

https://www.hearingl...nition-systems/

Are you aware that you can single out what is being said over TS to a separate headset/device? That item could be set next to a smartphone/tablet so it can convert it, maybe even a modified cup/muffies to block out external sounds.

I have my VOIP setup to only come through my headset while combat sounds/etc coming out another set of speakers. The issue will be if/when more people are talking at the same time.

Just some ideas though others have also looked for similar solutions on other gaming websites.

#7 Donnerkeil666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal II
  • Marshal II
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:46 PM

If you lost half your hearing why don't you get a BTE, BAHA or Cochlear/brain stem implant? Just curious. Over the ear headphones should work with them. Another option could be bone conducting headphones depending on the cause of your hearing loss.

#8 KHAN ATTAKHAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 446 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:50 AM

Any unit should make concessions for its members, messages can be typed, and prior to any drop a good leader or members will spend the time typing the plan for you, game mode and map tactics can be taught to you privately and most people will be willing to do this for you, this is only a suggestion and not a dig at people, by all means use any method that works for you and people within this community will help you, Ghostryder's suggestion is a good one contact his man for any assistance.

Not stepping on toes just being the same old KHAN

#9 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:43 AM

TS wont be a must .
Several units with TS´s with ppl on the TS that dont even have mics/are just listening/cant talk because of baby sleeping closeby/etc etc etc .

My guess would be that your hearing problem could get a tricked-out bypass or two if you´re meeting people on TS, mechwarriors really are quite tightknit and a tremendously helpful bunch of people .

#10 Thinkagain01

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 73 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:12 AM

There a few TTS programs out there. I'm unsure if you can integrate them into MWO. This is quite the interesting post. I'd like to see PGI comment on this.

#11 Rattler85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

Teamspeak can be a big help.

#12 Mark aka Shadowfax 13th

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

GhostRyder was right in that the Google Docs speech to text can help but it has some issues. I'd be happy to help if anyone has any questions.

Also, we don't absolutely require TS, not for voice chat anyway. For those who don't have the necessary hardware or have hearing issues it's an easy way for text chatting to organize whatever we happen to be doing. We try very hard to accommodate, as all Units should, and we're constantly looking for new and better ways to help everyone have a good time.

Edited by Shadowfax 13th, 12 April 2017 - 05:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users