Why Must Arm Lock Be Bound?

36 replies to this topic

#1 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:47 PM

I dont have a key bound for "arm lock" as i dont need it... I only need toggle...

my configuration is as i want it... i do not wish to bound anything to "arm lock"

this is not good not good at all

Posted Image

I never used it.. and the key that was used is used for something else now..

my keys are all used up for other stuff... why must i bound a command?

seems like i found a problem no?

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 11 April 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

seems like i found a problem no?

Actually... It's working exactly as it is intended.

You see, you where trying to enter into the Tutorial aspect of the Academy. By doing so, you need certain specific keys to be functional in order to clear the tutorial. If you can't (in this case) unlock and lock your arms, you actually can't complete the tutorial.

PGI implemented this after some players got snagged within the tutorial and couldn't progress because they changed and/or unbound parts of the actions needed to progress. So, to keep people from becoming stuck in the tutorial, you now must have everything needed bound to something, or you can't do it.

#3 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

Also, you need to be able to lock and unlock your arms - leaving your arm lock off or on all the times is detrimental to your efficiency and is reducing your effectiveness on the battlefield.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:10 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 11 April 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

Also, you need to be able to lock and unlock your arms - leaving your arm lock off or on all the times is detrimental to your efficiency and is reducing your effectiveness on the battlefield.

There is Toggle Arm Lock which only takes hitting one button to unlock it then again to lock it, but it does not require a persistent key press. Then there is Arm Lock which is a temporary lock/unlock based on the default setting in Settings (toggle arm checked or unchecked), and the opposite action is active as long as the key is being pressed down.

But as previously mentioned, it has to be assigned if you wish to utilize the Academy.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 11 April 2017 - 05:18 PM.

#5 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

Some people prefer the toggle, and others the keypress options, but it's mechanically necessary to switch between locked and unlocked configurations in order to maximize your combat effectiveness - which is why it's required to enter the Academy tutorial.

Edited by Void Angel, 11 April 2017 - 07:06 PM.

#6 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:12 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 11 April 2017 - 07:06 PM, said:

Some people prefer the toggle, and others the keypress options, but it's mechanically necessary to switch between locked and unlocked configurations in order to maximize your combat effectiveness - which is why it's required to enter the Academy tutorial.

I have to admit... I don't have any button to toggle armlock. I always have it turned off, as most of my mechs don't really need it and/or I've been playing with no arm lock for so long I just am very use to not having it on.

Though, I do want to also note that you are correct as well. On many builds, if they have weapon groups separated between arms and torsos, than turning on arm lock helps with weapon convergence. The better your weapons converge, the more likely you are to deal all your damage to a single location. But you also want to turn it off if you need to reach a bit to hit a target... So the toggle (either version) can be handy to have.

#7 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:33 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 11 April 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

Oh yeah? put your money where your mouth is and ill show you how wrong you can be about that statement,
and ill do it in something half your weight

even though i dont want to use the push to lock key, I do have the toggle arm lock on and off bound,
you would have thought that they would have thought out a little..

I have arm lock and use it when needed... but i dont push to use it..only toggle on and off.. same thing.

I also have cockpit view used as push to use

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:32 AM

View PostTesunie, on 11 April 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

I have to admit... I don't have any button to toggle armlock. I always have it turned off, as most of my mechs don't really need it and/or I've been playing with no arm lock for so long I just am very use to not having it on.

Though, I do want to also note that you are correct as well. On many builds, if they have weapon groups separated between arms and torsos, than turning on arm lock helps with weapon convergence. The better your weapons converge, the more likely you are to deal all your damage to a single location. But you also want to turn it off if you need to reach a bit to hit a target... So the toggle (either version) can be handy to have.

I used to do the exact same thing - played that way for years, but one of the top-tier players in my unit recommended that I turn it off and then have a key to switch it out. I've found that it's well worth

View PostBurnin2nd, on 12 April 2017 - 01:33 AM, said:

Oh yeah? put your money where your mouth is and ill show you how wrong you can be about that statement,
and ill do it in something half your weight

even though i dont want to use the push to lock key, I do have the toggle arm lock on and off bound,
you would have thought that they would have thought out a little..

I have arm lock and use it when needed... but i dont push to use it..only toggle on and off.. same thing.

I also have cockpit view used as push to use

I'll see your affronted nerd-posturing and raise you some reading comprehension - you just admitted I'm right yourself. Not to mention that your weasel-worded implied challenge has no possibility of proving your premise, even if I wasn't good enough to spank you if you give me twice your tonnage on a 'mech designed for that contest... Your egotism is cute, though. Pat on the head, move along.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 12 April 2017 - 04:32 AM, said:

I used to do the exact same thing - played that way for years, but one of the top-tier players in my unit recommended that I turn it off and then have a key to switch it out. I've found that it's well worth it.

I can see it's advantages, and I have also been told about it. However, I have no easy keys left to assign it. My entire left side of my keyboard is full. Tab is pulling up the team board. Caps Lock is in game Voip. Left Shift is a 3rd weapon group. Left Control is free lock (can be very handy). Left Alt is MASC. Space bar is JJs... Even number key 1 and 2 are consumables!

There just isn't any more room for it, unless I place it in an odd spot, but then it's just as useless to me... Posted Image

#10 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

Do you only have two mouse buttons? I'd have difficulty managing my weapon groups and consumables use if I didn't have a bunch of mouse options. My G500's mouse configuration works great for that, even if I did wish the thing was half again bigger.

Edited by Void Angel, 12 April 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#11 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:13 PM

Hmm... the keybinding requirement is really only needed for the Tutorial part, not the Academy open area.

I'll see about executing the check only for entry into the Tutorial.

#12 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

View PostDave Forsey, on 12 April 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

Hmm... the keybinding requirement is really only needed for the Tutorial part, not the Academy open area.

That would be a nice change, i never go in anymore cuz lazy and cannot be bothered to change keys around 2x.

#13 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 12 April 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

Do you only have two mouse buttons? I'd have difficulty managing my weapon groups and consumables use if I didn't have a bunch of mouse options. My G500's mouse configuration works great for that, even if I did wish the thing was half again bigger.

Only a two button mouse here. That's why I cleverly created a third weapon group on left shift... Opened up so many more mech builds for me once I did. Took me a long time to figured that out... Just didn't feel like digging around the configurations for some time...

View PostDave Forsey, on 12 April 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

I'm fairly sure he went into the Tutorial, and not the open Academy... At least from his screen shot.

#14 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

View PostTesunie, on 12 April 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

... I'm fairly sure he went into the Tutorial, and not the open Academy... At least from his screen shot.

I checked, unfortunately it comes up immediately on clicking the Academy button.

#15 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:40 PM

View PostTesunie, on 12 April 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

Only a two button mouse here. That's why I cleverly created a third weapon group on left shift... Opened up so many more mech builds for me once I did. Took me a long time to figured that out... Just didn't feel like digging around the configurations for some time...

I've gotten into the habit of checking the keybindings for new games (particularly with streaming services since you only get a digital manual,) so it's second-nature to know how to change things. I'd strongly recommend even a cheap gaming mouse to free up your keyboard: three firing groups is normally sufficient, but there are still builds (TAG for example) that can do with more - and with all the fiddly bits on the left hand, you can feel like you're trying to be a concert pianist just managing all your options.

#16 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:29 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 12 April 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

I've gotten into the habit of checking the keybindings for new games (particularly with streaming services since you only get a digital manual,) so it's second-nature to know how to change things. I'd strongly recommend even a cheap gaming mouse to free up your keyboard: three firing groups is normally sufficient, but there are still builds (TAG for example) that can do with more - and with all the fiddly bits on the left hand, you can feel like you're trying to be a concert pianist just managing all your options.

It was more like laziness more than not knowing how to do it. And having to find a button easy to reach that would work... Took me some time to figure that out.

But, back when I started, a two weapon group mech could hold it's own plenty well enough. (I learned on a 5 ML and two LRM10 Hunchback 4J. Didn't need TAG back then, so only two weapon groups.)

#17 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

Most of my builds only have two groups; max I've ever used is four, but that was for a 'mech with an odd weapon configuration. Mostly (though I do have that third group on a thumb button) I use the mouse for things like strike consumables to free up space around my left hand for useful non-firing things like arm lock.

#18 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:11 PM

We have a fellow in our unit that uses his mouse wheel for 2 weapon groups. Up is fire all the lurms and down is chain fire group. Works well enough for him. Might be worth investigating if you run those dirty things. :P

Cheers!

#19 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

View Post762 NATO, on 12 April 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

We have a fellow in our unit that uses his mouse wheel for 2 weapon groups. Up is fire all the lurms and down is chain fire group. Works well enough for him. Might be worth investigating if you run those dirty things. Posted Image

Cheers!

I tend to be a much simpler person than that. I'll take my Huntsmen Prime/A for an example. Left mouse are left arm lasers (2 ERMLs). Right mouse are right arm lasers (2 ERMLs on the prime, 3 on the A). Left Shift are FIRE ALL THE LRMS! (Two LRM15s for the Prime, a 15 and a 10 for the A.)

I keep telling people I don't boat LRMs. No one seems to believe me... Posted Image

#20 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:54 AM

Thank you Dave for your useful response to the situation, Perhaps You Can Pass This Along

Being as I don't require the Academy or training ground... I simply wanted to let me 5 year old mosh around, it's not a problem though.

Being as we have a fourm warrior online here I'll step off
Although
Looking forward to seeing you in combat void angel.... you might forget who your mouthy 2 on the Internet, behind the security of your screen... I on the other hand do not forget

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users