Lrm Noob Question.

13 replies to this topic

#1 Ultramarine125AF

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

So the other day I got my first LRM boat, I don't usually do them but since the highlander was on sale I got one and started to use him as a LRM boat with laser backups which works great but my question is this:

I have 3 LRM 15's with 4 Medium lasers with an active probe and a 54khm engine, should I upgrade my 15's to artimes (sorry if I spelled that wrong) or down grade to 10's and improve the laser back ups? I really haven't had a problem so far and I mainly do quick drops with him.

Thx for the answers as once again my first LRM boat that I like and plan to keep.

PS forgot to add I have 1900 LRM's so I can lose some.

Edited by Ultramarine125AF, 15 April 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:46 PM

Use smurfy to link your build.

I'd take Artemis if its your main weapon system. Just remember it requires LOS to the target for the bonus to work. For this reason it pairs extremely well with a TAG.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:53 AM

how do you play LRMs?
do you stay with the team, or go off on your own (usualy a bad idea)?
do you fire with line of sight and your own TAG on target (can be verry effective) or rely on others to get you a lock (usualy much less effective, unless you are dropping with a group and have at least 1 competant spotter)

what Artemis does, it speeds Missile lock for LRMs, if you have line of sight it tightens missile grouping and increases missile agility and number of inflight course corrections.

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

I would drop the BAP and one mlas for a TAG. I would also drop ammo for more heatsinks unless you find yourself running out frequently.

My 533P is 2x ALRM10 + 1x ALRM20, but I have not used it in a very long time. Not much has changed save tightened LRM20 spread earlier this year.

#5 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

LRMs as the primary weapon on assaults is considered sacrilege here, I'm mildly stunned more haven't started jumping up Posted Image

It's not as if LRMs can't be effective on an assault, they can be brutally effective; they're also the easiest to counter. A single light up close or someone watching with PPC / Gauss / ERLL can keep most LRM-centric builds in check and assaults feel it more than others. Mediums and Heavies have more ability to reposition and 'play around being played around' while still doing respectable damage.

Artemis bonuses can't be ignored if LRMs are the primary damage source. The spread reduction will help more missiles hit the target and focus the damage a bit more, but for my money the real value is the target lock time reduction. LRM carriers have the highest damage capability on the field (ignoring lasers) but that damage takes time to happen; anything done to reduce that time can't be ignored without good reason. TAG is also indispensable for this, with the nice feature of letting one target ECM mechs. Beagle Active Probe has two good uses for your LRM carrier: allows targeting at a further distance and prevents an ECM light from running up close and completely ruining target locks... they'll still shoot you but now you can keep your target locks Posted Image

The number of missiles you have are fine; they're 1 damage a piece and at ~40% accuracy with 1900 missiles it's ~760 effective average damage if all missiles are fired in any given match. Artemis and TAG are useful enough that you should try and work them in. Dropping the BAP and one ML as Spheriod mentions is a good start, but tbh I'm not sure how to tune an assault for LRMs; with one notable exception in my Stalker I've never run LRM support in assaults. I count the Stalker as an exception, as it's more a mildly mobile turret.

Regardless of all else, the #1 'thing' you want for your LRM support is Advanced Target Decay. It's not cheap to unlock but it is 100% worth it. Eg) If missiles are fired just as the target moved behind a hill and broke LOS, assuming the target does not have Radar Deprivation those missiles are guaranteed to hit their target up to ~250 meters without adv. target decay, and up to ~600 meters with it (!!!). adv. target decay adds 3.5 seconds to the time it would take a lock to break Posted Image

Edited by SPencil, 16 April 2017 - 09:53 AM.

#6 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:51 AM

View PostSPencil, on 16 April 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

LRMs as the primary weapon on assaults is considered sacrilege here, I'm mildly stunned more haven't started jumping up Posted Image

It's not as if LRMs can't be effective on an assault, they can be brutally effective; they're also the easiest to counter. A single light up close or someone watching with PPC / Gauss / ERLL can keep most LRM-centric builds in check and assaults feel it more than others. Mediums and Heavies have more ability to reposition and 'play around being played around' while still doing respectable damage.

[...]

Well we would but with the sh...thats going on in QP atm ..... I'm just tired...so....so tired.
Atlas with LRMs and smal lasers blown up by an MG Locust setting of its sh...loads of ammo.
Cyclops with 7 LRM5 and just 2 SPLS and a TAG standing rock still staring at my Gauss+PPC at 800m ... didn't even had to think wich Eye I have to shoot....and so on and so on. Posted Image

#7 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

I'd recommend upgrading the engine rather than the laser weapons. A mech moving 54kph and lagging behind the rest of the team is likely going to just get eaten by a single light (and 4 MPL with an extremely slow turn and twist speed aren't going to save it over 4 ML).
It's been said above, but staying close to the front is the better idea; remember, your LRMs work as long as you're outside of 180 meters, and the closer you are the better your locks will be, particularly if you spring for Artemis to get line of sight bonuses. The farther away you are, the greater distance your missiles will have to travel before they hit the target and that's longer that you'll need to maintain (or have someone else on your team maintain) a lock.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:48 PM

Awww... Drats. That load out means you got my least favourite Highlander. I prefer a backup ballistics.

That said, I'd go with speed increase if you've the spare engine for it. Just don't go XL, and keep near the front of the pack an you should do fine. Just don't hang back an get caught alone.

~Leone.

#9 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:43 AM

whether its a module or the coming skill tree target decay is crucial, i see many newer lrm boats fire and lose target instantly.target decay will hold the target under 3secs longer.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:56 AM

View PostGorantir, on 28 April 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

whether its a module or the coming skill tree target decay is crucial, i see many newer lrm boats fire and lose target instantly.target decay will hold the target under 3secs longer.

it is much better to get your own locks rather than rely on target decay, and if firing from more than about 500m target decay may not help anyway, as you do not know if the lock has been broken before you fire.
also if you get your own locks you know if the enemy is already in cover or is likely to break the lock before the missiles get there.

do not get me wrong target decay does help an LRM boat who insists on firing indirectly but if firing indirectly they will probably be less than half as effective, and a lot less useful for the team, then if they stick with the team and get their own locks

#11 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:54 AM

you could still hold the target you have your own lock on even after he gets some cover. there was no bad info in this post if you see and target a guy in canyon and fire missiles then he drops into a canyon, target is lost instantly unless you have decay not all cover that blocks target blocks the missiles.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

View PostGorantir, on 29 April 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

you could still hold the target you have your own lock on even after he gets some cover. there was no bad info in this post if you see and target a guy in canyon and fire missiles then he drops into a canyon, target is lost instantly unless you have decay not all cover that blocks target blocks the missiles.

it takes 3 seconds for a lock to break, target decay makes it take 3 seconds longer to break the lock, Radar Deprivation breaks the lock 3 seconds sooner than normal, an LRM flys 480m in 3 seconds.

if the target has radar deprivation then yes those 3 seconds from target decay could be useful. also there is plenty of cover which could block the missiles and allow line of sight, e.g. under the bridges or in the tunnels, most maps have one or the other
this is another part of the reason I sugest having line of site and advise against firing LRMs more than 500m out.

#13 Ultramarine125AF

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:26 AM

Thanks for all the Advice and after giving it thought and all that, I've been using this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...48fd8b44379c842

The armor quirks don't show but He is Tough and good Firepower of course when they close on me it sucks my LRM's don't work but the Large Lasers do give them something to think about and with the Armor if I torso Twist enough the damage spreads nice, though it seems most want my LRM's gone and not my Laser once they are in my face. (I am confused to this tactic why not go for my CT or Laser side idk) But without Target Decay he is nasty and I can face tank alot of hits at range. The Probe and Artemis really shines Esp if I can put my Tag on them, with a good team this mech is nasty and with a bad team, He can do alright.

I thank you guys for the Help and anyone wanting to try this Mech go for it, I know many recommended a Speed upgrade but honestly In the games I've played I'm usually closing the distance to targets so that I'm near my team to give them Direct Fire Support and so that my Tag comes into play cause either way, a good light pilot is gonna get me even if my buddy's are around me or even near me.

PS for Anyone thinking of giving this a Try, Make sure you have good Heat Manage control cause he can run hot on warmer maps but if you do it right, you can cool fast and still fire your LRM's like a mad man its when your Firing Everything does your Heat Really show.

Edited by Ultramarine125AF, 30 April 2017 - 02:28 AM.

#14 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:05 AM

That's the loadout I use on my Lurmlander, too, and I've killed a lot of lights and mediums that got too close and cocky with those backup LLs. I'm no pro lurmer, but I like it quite a bit when I want to change it up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users