• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 243 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGrand Junction, CO

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

I agree with not bringing them to FW unsupported by a team. But they do have their uses..... not all lrm shots are meant to do damage. Sometimes it is meant to make the enemy run for cover.... To suppress the enemy.

A skilled LRM pilot can be an asset to the team.

#4 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

You know what's more useful? A player that knows how to do direct damage and share armor. All the best LRM folks I know are usually very good at direct damage as well. Why? Because they understand being on the front line. People who use LRMs to the exclusion of direct fire weapons are gimping themselves.

#5 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

See, it's stuff like this that cause me to bring LRMs just out of spite.

#6 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:53 PM

View PostRagnar Baron Leiningen, on 18 April 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

People who use LRMs to the exclusion of direct fire weapons are gimping themselves their team.

FTFY ;)

#7 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

View PostKellaine, on 18 April 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

Just kidding

No you're not...

View PostKellaine, on 18 April 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Inner Sphere LRM's Rock

No they don't...

View PostKellaine, on 18 April 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

I agree with not bringing them to FW unsupported by a team. But they do have their uses..... not all lrm shots are meant to do damage.

No, they do not have their uses...

View PostKellaine, on 18 April 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

Sometimes it is meant to make the enemy run for cover.... To suppress the enemy.

A skilled LRM pilot can be an asset to the team.

No they are not an asset to they're team...

Seriously, I hate being this contrarian to everything you said but honestly, everything you just said is wrong and will end up making new players believe that there is a place for them is this game using LRM's...Granted, people can bring whatever they want and I am sure there are people who are willingly to lose 5 games in a row and blame it on their teammates just so they can win 1 game in an LRM boat and boast about how they carried the team or were somehow vital to winning that match. I am telling you from 4+ years of playing this game that you are wrong. I have multiple posts up about it detailing out my argument on why LRM's nerf your team so I won't bore you with it again. But hey, bring what you want, go have fun and when you decide you want to really try to win on a better than average level, dump the LRM's and taste the power of direct fire weapons.

Edited by Pat Kell, 20 April 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#8 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

Good reply Pat, my question would have been, where is his unit on the leaderboards, never heard of them before this post.

#9 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:37 PM

What is and is not successful is not an opinion. It's a measurable, observable and quantifiable thing that's demonstrated by those who are the most successful. Anyone and everyone can access that leaderboard, look at the stats of the teams that are the best at FW.

Play what you want, have fun. It's a game. Everyone enjoys their own thing. If, however, you enjoy winning and being a great contributor to a team, then don't bring LRMs. Just because someone enjoys playing LRMs doesn't mean LRMs are as viable.

#10 Killer Kellaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

I am sorry you feel that way though I will continue to utilize LRM's.

You may discount them to your own detriment.

#11 Killer Kellaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

OH we are a none competitive group dedicated to having fun I never look at the leader boards.

Edited by Kellaine, 20 April 2017 - 05:49 PM.

#12 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

View PostKellaine, on 20 April 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

OH we are a none competitive group dedicated to having fun I never look at the leader boards.

Cool, continue to get pwned then and keep using those lurms, I need more easy KMDD's.

BTW, non-competitive dedicated to having fun means, we dont want to get better at the game, too much effort involved.

Edited by Carl Vickers, 20 April 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#13 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

Wanna know what would really be helpful?

Obey the forum rules.

You aren't suppose to bump your own thread unless, like, a full day passes. You keep making several posts in less than an hour.

On the subject of LRMs, they can be good, depending upon how you play them. If it's anything like what I see from the more common LRM users... Bring out the stretcher. You are most likely going to have to carry them to victory, as they probably aren't going to be with the team, wont get their own locks, and will probably spam missiles are every lock they can without any consideration of it they will hit or not. They will do this because they don't understand the skills needed to effectively use LRMs, and thus seem to fall into the trap of using them ineffectively and think they are doing well because "I can get some high damage matches with this"...

Used properly, LRMs can provide a little control on the battlefield, as well as opening up holes. The trick is to not hide, stay with the team instead. Bring alternative direct fire weapons. Use the LRMs at mid range, hopefully in conjunction with your direct fire weapons, or while you try to get into position. (Of course, this goes without saying that this is unless your team has other plans, such as NARCers and dedicated spotters for LRM specific mechs, and even then...)

Consistent damage is better than spikes of damage. I like my mechs to perform an average of 250-500 damage, with spikes higher (of course) and as few games under as possible. I like my mechs to perform consistently, not get drastically different results for every match I play. My opinion of course, but I feel it shows your mech (and you) performing better in the sense of the team if you are consistent, than if you swing from one extreme to the other.

#14 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 20 April 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

BTW, non-competitive dedicated to having fun means, we dont want to get better at the game, too much effort involved.

What's wrong with being "non-competitive" and why do you feel it means we don't want to improve our game?

I'm not really what one would consider a competitive player (though I have been in competitive play a couple times somehow). I may not be "competitive", but that doesn't mean I aim to win while having fun. I am always trying to improve my game play, I just wont sacrifice things I see as fun to get there.

A game that gets boring and is no longer fun is no longer a game I want to play. So, I use what I enjoy.

I think people have different concepts on what competitive and non-competitive play means... Posted Image
Of course, those terms are rather subjective and depends upon what the person classifies each as.

#15 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

Posted Image

#16 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 20 April 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

I guess memes are alright, seen as I already believe Kellaine to be trolling. Just by looking at the title, first, second and third post of this thread (all his) and the manner in which he continues to post in this thread...

As far as the actual topic (via title), LRMs are "alright". They are neither "great" nor "horrible". I say, take them even in FP if you want, but don't boat them and don't count on your team (unless it's a premade) to hold locks just for you... Which is of course what the vast majority seem to do anyway despite it really not being efficient...

#17 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

Lets see, 12 man of KCOM with direct fire vs 12 man of Seraph with lurms and direct fire.

I know who my money is on to win by a good margin and it aint Seraph.

#18 Marius Romanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

Its like he's just trying to spam us with his post tag that pink/purple/red hurts in ways I cant describe.

#19 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 20 April 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

Lets see, 12 man of KCOM with direct fire vs 12 man of Seraph with lurms and direct fire.

I know who my money is on to win by a good margin and it aint Seraph.

So... Pit a rather casual (with competitive elements) not-even-ranked-among-the-best units (mine) against what many see as one of the best units (or at least well know)? Sure... That is just fitting for debate. Posted Image Why not pit me against the best known player in the game. I'm sure that would go well, even if I was using a meta developed mech... Posted Image

Is this when I mention we have actually beaten 228, Emp and a few other big named units from time to time? It isn't a common event, but it does actually happen.

Also, for the record, most of my unit mates don't field LRMs. Some of them do, and my company within the unit has a "we don't use LRMs because they don't fit our tactics" but have stated "Tes, you can use LRMs if you want, because you are always up on the front with us".

Now, I'm far from being "the best" player in the game. Never said I was. I enjoy LRMs (and ERPPCs, and ACs, and SRMs, and...) and because I enjoy them I use them. But, far from what it may sound on these forums, I don't "always" use LRMs. I just like them and use them fairly often. In the game, you are probably about as likely to see me with LRMs as you are to see me without them.

I've never once said that "LRMs are great". I've always stated them for what they are, they are an "alright" weapon. They are good in the roles and uses they can provide, and they can have purpose depending upon how they are used. But, I also clearly recognize their weaknesses, which is why I really don't boat them. I take some LRMs, with plenty of direct fire weapons as well.

#20 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

Look, there's no desire to troll anyone here. Fun is fun and that's awesome - play and have fun.

However there's no debate about the viability of LRMs vs direct fire. It's not an opinion. It's not an open book or a question. Direct fire is flat out superior, hands down. There's no morality to that observation; it's not a 'you're a good/bad person because X' facet to that. It's the demonstrated, confirmed, tested, objective reality.

If someone doesn't care about winning that's fine. Play, have fun! That's why we're all here. However trying to say that taking LRMs is just as viable to winning/losing as direct fire is a false statement. It's not true. Saying 'I have fun playing LRMs regardless' is a true statement because it's an opinion - it's about how you feel. That's fine, play. Have fun. Do what you enjoy in the game. We're all here for pretendy fun times with big stompy robbits.

However especially with new players it's critical to be honest or you're setting people up with incorrect information. All the players an teams who are best at winning at this game are going to tell you the same thing. All the matches played at a competitive level (which is relevant because at that level player skill is so relative that the value of mech/loadout/weapon performance is more critical, not because comp has some sort of moral superiority) confirm this and always have.

Even more critically LRMs as a 'learning weapon' are bad because it encourages hiding behavior and bad habits. Ideally you want people to learn to play with mid-range direct fire weapons - LPLs are a great, great choice because they're solid, reliable, consistent and teach good habits. Forgiving enough on range to let people get out of position and still do okay but rewarding good positioning and good behaviors very well. After someone learns to play very well at the game then those skills translate to other builds/mechs/weapons in a number of ways.

However LRMs are bad compared to direct fire. Arguing that is like arguing that sickness is caused by dark humors and evil spirits instead of germs. Germ theory of disease exists because it's been tested, proven, confirmed and observed. That there's still people in the world that think evil spirits cause sickness doesn't mean that it's true - it just means that some people are wrong about it.

What works is a matter of science, metrics and confirmable facts. What you enjoy is a matter of opinion. Both are good reasons to bring stuff and play stuff. However representing 'what I enjoy' as 'what works' is a misrepresentation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users