Resurrection Of 3Do

19 replies to this topic

#1 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

Greetings MechWarriors. Today I have a simple question. What would MechWarrior look like if it were developed by 3DO?

"3DO? The game console?" you might be thinking but no, 3DO the game company! They were responsible for Might & Magic, Heroes of Might & Magic, Army Men based off of the Plastic Toys and yes, that IS a real video game dating back to the late 90's, and other classics but unfortunately went into bankruptcy after the early 2000's.

This thread isn't simply to ask what if 3DO developed a MechWarrior title, but what dead or defunct company could've done this series well or in an interesting direction.

Balance Overlord and his Dark Master not included.

#2 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,819 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

Ah crap forgot to for my big exam, off to Wikipedia for a good 30mins!!

#3 8Ball-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 292 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:22 AM

Instead of asking what MWO would be like if dev'd by a defunct, bankrupt company, ask what it'd be like if it was dev'd by Chris Roberts or anyone else that had any idea of what they were doing.

Btw, do you think that PGI knows that amazons lumberyard is the latest, free version of cry-engine and that you can get free dev help if you're using it?

Edited by WW8Ball, 19 April 2017 - 08:23 AM.

#4 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostWW8Ball, on 19 April 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

Instead of asking what MWO would be like if dev'd by a defunct, bankrupt company, ask what it'd be like if it was dev'd by Chris Roberts or anyone else that had any idea of what they were doing.

Btw, do you think that PGI knows that amazons lumberyard is the latest version of cry-engine and that you can get free dev help if you're using it?

This is intended as just a fun "what if?" thread, and instead of using Bethesda or EA or Ubisoft, let's see what old or defunct game companies would've done just for speculation and to see what unique ideas their devs would've brought or their proprietary engine.

Yes, but they're using frankencode right now so switching to Lumberyard - which is still Crytek and has all the problems the current engine does, all the same limitations, would not only take several months but be a big waste of money - not to buy the engine or some extra dev help, which is embarrassing for PGI to have to ask for, they should just switch to Unreal IV.

#5 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

3DO was also responsible for Battletanx which was a childhood favorite of mine.

#6 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

I feel obligated to point out that any dead or defunct development company likely wouldn't have created a good MechWarrior game because, ya know, their methodology obviously wasn't that desirable.

On the other hand, game design principles have changed quite a bit over the last 30 years, as has the audience... Hmm.

Perhaps the original FASA team.

#7 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

View PostWW8Ball, on 19 April 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

Btw, do you think that PGI knows that amazons lumberyard is the latest, free version of cry-engine and that you can get free dev help if you're using it?

If done by Chris Robetrs, it'd never be close to being finished product.... On the upside, the mechs would be sized so that they could actually fit the equipment that is mounted in them...

CryEngine was never the right choice for MWO, but at the time it was the best option available to PGI for their budget. Now that they have some capital to work with, they have a second team working with Unreal for MW5;Mercs... that is likely going to be the basis for MWO2.

Although if I had a company of my choice to build MWO I'd have to go with the companies that are responsible for building the simulation software that is used by modern armed forces for the purposes of training vehicle crews.... Yes I want more sim, less arcade.

#8 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:44 AM

Honestly, the best 3DO game was World Destruction League: Thunder Tanks.

Ares, Titan and Scorcher were my mains while it was fun to play Marauder with its Death Blossom special and Dragonfly's flying ability to get items that would sometimes spawn off the main map or when taking out a blimp.

#9 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

there's nothing wrong with PGI developing MWO

#10 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

View PostMole, on 19 April 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

3DO was also responsible for Battletanx which was a childhood favorite of mine.

Gotta remember this. Battletanx was totally MechWarrior with tanks instead of 'mechs, and it was wonderful, even if you didn't know the code to use the special cheat weapons in multiplayer. 3DO did so much good stuff, it's downright remarkable that they weren't also strangled by EA.

#11 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostAlexander of Macedon, on 19 April 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

Gotta remember this. Battletanx was totally MechWarrior with tanks instead of 'mechs, and it was wonderful, even if you didn't know the code to use the special cheat weapons in multiplayer. 3DO did so much good stuff, it's downright remarkable that they weren't also strangled by EA.

To be fair, they were a part of EA... the guy that founded that company was a founder of EA... from my understanding 3DO was more or less the hardware side of EA.... after the hardware of the 3DO game system finally tanked, EA just dropped that side of what the company did, but kept them on as a software developer for a while.

#12 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

View PostCoolant, on 19 April 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

there's nothing wrong with PGI developing MWO

Again, this isn't a thread made to bash PGI or suggest them incompetent, but as a fun what if exercise to see what other now defunct companies might've done with the team, tech, etc they had back then.

Also, Balance Overlord and his Dark Master.

#13 nitra

• Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:28 PM

I'll play along ...

If 3DO would be in charge of the MW IP.
Mechawarrior would be In Your FAce ! because trip hawkins marketing team would see to it that the game was getting press attention.There would be streamers streaming sneak play sessions of internal builds, hype events and promises of the second coming of batllemech jesus.

Just because trip hawkins.

Then when the game would be released. it would be expensive 85+ plus, and a ok but not really game breaking gameplay experince .

the game would not sell enough copies to cover the marketing costs and 3do would go bankrupt and sell MW to Bandai Namco where they would super deform the game and sell it on mobile .

#14 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

View Postnitra, on 19 April 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

I'll play along ...

If 3DO would be in charge of the MW IP.
Mechawarrior would be In Your FAce ! because trip hawkins marketing team would see to it that the game was getting press attention.There would be streamers streaming sneak play sessions of internal builds, hype events and promises of the second coming of batllemech jesus.

Just because trip hawkins.

Then when the game would be released. it would be expensive 85+ plus, and a ok but not really game breaking gameplay experince .

the game would not sell enough copies to cover the marketing costs and 3do would go bankrupt and sell MW to Bandai Namco where they would super deform the game and sell it on mobile .

You forgot the 90's CGI and cheesy dialogue, with a hidden/bonus map of 3DO's HQ and some of the pilots or portraits based on employees.

#15 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 19 April 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

If done by Chris Robetrs, it'd never be close to being finished product.... On the upside, the mechs would be sized so that they could actually fit the equipment that is mounted in them...

CryEngine was never the right choice for MWO, but at the time it was the best option available to PGI for their budget. Now that they have some capital to work with, they have a second team working with Unreal for MW5;Mercs... that is likely going to be the basis for MWO2.

Although if I had a company of my choice to build MWO I'd have to go with the companies that are responsible for building the simulation software that is used by modern armed forces for the purposes of training vehicle crews.... Yes I want more sim, less arcade.

Eagle Dynamics - Digital Combat Simulator

You're welcome. Your wallet will suffer, however.

#16 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:13 PM

View PostDino Might, on 19 April 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

Eagle Dynamics - Digital Combat Simulator

You're welcome. Your wallet will suffer, however.

Already play it, I generally stick to the Gunships.... Takes me back to when I flew Gunships in the Army....

#17 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:16 AM

This game surely would be totally awesome if it was developed by "Interplay".

That is the company that made the legendary "The Lost Vikings" and who's slogan was "by gamers, for gamers".

it was actually the beginnings of Blizzard Entertainment..

For those of you who have not played "The Lost Vikings", it was one of the best arcade games of all time.. (google it)

It was so good, that today's blockbuster videogame "Starcraft 2" has a shoutout to the Lost Vikings called "The Lost Viking", as a small arcade machine in one of the rooms..

#18 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:50 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 20 April 2017 - 01:16 AM, said:

This game surely would be totally awesome if it was developed by "Interplay".

That is the company that made the legendary "The Lost Vikings" and who's slogan was "by gamers, for gamers".

it was actually the beginnings of Blizzard Entertainment..

For those of you who have not played "The Lost Vikings", it was one of the best arcade games of all time.. (google it)

It was so good, that today's blockbuster videogame "Starcraft 2" has a shoutout to the Lost Vikings called "The Lost Viking", as a small arcade machine in one of the rooms..

Interplay? They would've made a fantastic MechWarrior series! They know Turn Based AND real time games very well.

#19 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:22 AM

[mod]As this topic has progressed to be more about other companies,
this thread has been moved to Off Topic Discussions.[/mod]

#20 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

View Postdraiocht, on 21 April 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

[mod]As this topic has progressed to be more about other companies,
this thread has been moved to Off Topic Discussions.[/mod]

Fair enough, though the theme is still related to MechWarrior and this series.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users