- - - - -

Would This Work Ok As A Brawler?

27 replies to this topic

#1 the sixth tier

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:06 PM

been playing on my enforcers and the 4r is pretty nice with the ac/10 and 4 ml i put on there. i like the jj but my only complaint would be too much facetime with the crazy cooldown on the ac.

then i made the one with the ac/20 on it, and i love it. i run up to people and stuff giant potatoes up their butts. when things are going well i can solo kill a couple heavies before i eat dirt. my only complaint would be no jump jets. and needing the xl i guess since it cuts my life a little short.

so i was looking at this marauder. seems to fit what i want it to do pretty nicely, what with the ability to jump, high-mounted ac/20, and a bunch of lasers to spam in peoples' faces. plus, no xl so even if i do lose a torso i can maybe still fight. it seems good to me, but i don't really see most people build them this way.

is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=347&l=86715be0034cc974feaccaadebe7d6c6449db817

edit: i spread a heatsink to each arm for whatever reason

Edited by the sixth tier, 21 April 2017 - 09:16 PM.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:26 PM

Nope. Looks like good fun.

~Leone.

#3 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:08 AM

View Postthe sixth tier, on 21 April 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

I would actually mount the Heat sinks into the arms for crit padding. They don't do you any favors being mounted in the ST and your weapons which generate the heat are in the arms anyway.

#4 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:13 AM

View Postthe sixth tier, on 21 April 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

been playing on my enforcers and the 4r is pretty nice with the ac/10 and 4 ml i put on there. i like the jj but my only complaint would be too much facetime with the crazy cooldown on the ac.

then i made the one with the ac/20 on it, and i love it. i run up to people and stuff giant potatoes up their butts. when things are going well i can solo kill a couple heavies before i eat dirt. my only complaint would be no jump jets. and needing the xl i guess since it cuts my life a little short.

so i was looking at this marauder. seems to fit what i want it to do pretty nicely, what with the ability to jump, high-mounted ac/20, and a bunch of lasers to spam in peoples' faces. plus, no xl so even if i do lose a torso i can maybe still fight. it seems good to me, but i don't really see most people build them this way.

is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=347&l=86715be0034cc974feaccaadebe7d6c6449db817

Absolutely not you got neither the alpha for a striker (50+ ppfld close in fire some alphas and either waste the enemy or be in troubble) nor the dps (7+) for a facehugger/ dancer.
Also the IS MAD chassis has issues with its AC hump beeing shot out too easy when engaging at distances below 300m (srms...)

Edited by The Basilisk, 22 April 2017 - 03:14 AM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:20 AM

This will work.
Make sure your enemies are softened up a bit before getting too close. Critpad the arms. You'd actually be better off if you had the two AC/20 tons in the RT rather than the CT and the head (to, minisculey as possible, protect the AC/20). Alternatively if this was a 3 ballistic mech I'd shove twin MGs in there too. The cooling will help with endurance (to be able to keep throwing punches), particularly on hot maps.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:24 AM

To deal with the SRM threat...
Posted Image
Twist slightly right after you plant your AC/20 (and aim your arms left) until after they spend their SRMs.
Resume the slaughter and repeat as necessary.

#7 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:27 AM

minor tweaks, MAD-5M i would run a lot less backarmor but that is up to you.
Cockpit needs a bit more armor because, lets "face it", in a brawl you will shut down once or twice and if that happens folks will be like "uhhh cockpit~~".

#8 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:47 AM

You'll need to torso twist a lot, and if I were you I'd shift the rear CT down to 8ish armor. As others mentioned, stick the heatsinks in the arms. Also recognize that the AC/20 + MLs setup isn't really that dangerous apart from punching tickets on damaged 'mechs with good AC shots, so you really don't want to be the first one in. One of the problems with Marauders is that you 100% want a STD engine, but you're not going to be able to fit a strong secondary loadout. So with the 5M it's basically an AC/20, two LB-10Xes, or whatever, plus a couple weaker lasers.

The 3R can run the triple AC/5 build, the BH is great for laser vomit. The 5M and 5D fall into that pit of not being terrible but also not being anywhere near as good as a lot of options.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:54 AM

I stopped going for cockpits because they are often too hard to hit. There are some exceptions and things to worry about, but honestly I often just run 2 armor on my cockpit for most mechs.

I do agree on reducing back armor. Marauders are not the sort to have to worry about their backsides and if someone starts shooting it, just twist and pull it away. Keep the CT back armor above 8 though.

#10 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

View PostKoniving, on 22 April 2017 - 03:54 AM, said:

I stopped going for cockpits because they are often too hard to hit. There are some exceptions and things to worry about, but honestly I often just run 2 armor on my cockpit for most mechs.

Just don't shut down infront if me then :D

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:55 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 22 April 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Just don't shut down infront if me then Posted Image

That's the thing, I run DPS and endurance builds.
In most matches I won't really shut down until I've engaged my fourth or fifth enemy in a row.

If the Mechlab Efficiency isn't 1.5 or greater or the Smurfy efficiency isn't 50% or greater, it's a no go.

I'm the sort that keeps hitting people on Terra Therma while they shut down and die.

Ignore the rant at the end, PGI will never fix it.
Also: Those are STD heatsinks... not doubles.

Edited by Koniving, 22 April 2017 - 06:56 AM.

#12 the sixth tier

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

thanks for the feedbacks. i'll drop the rear armor to 6/8/6, put the heatsinks all in the arms, the ammo from the ct in the right arm, and maybe the jj from the legs to pad the ac/20.

also part of the reason i like the mixed ballistic/laser build so much is i'm not so loaded down with ammo that it explodes every match, and the heat isn't so much of an issue on non-polar maps.

Edited by the sixth tier, 22 April 2017 - 09:07 AM.

#13 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:40 AM

Leave the ammo in the CT. Sticking it in arms is just asking to get it blown off, and if you're twisting well the CT should be last to go.

#14 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

View PostAlexander of Macedon, on 22 April 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

Leave the ammo in the CT. Sticking it in arms is just asking to get it blown off, and if you're twisting well the CT should be last to go.

I'd stuff it into the arm. It should be possible to get 7 rounds out before either the arm or the CT gives in. It's just for the rare occasions of an actual ammo explosion after an armor breach (which is a lot easier to stomach on an arm then on a CT).

#15 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

It won't work because the jumpjets and slow burn on medium lasers won't allow you to pop tart, marauders have a bad hitbox for close in fights (but are great 400 meters+). Just wait until you can do heavy gauss+ppcs and can stay in the back, you can do gauss+2ppcs but it lacks the punch today.

#16 Renfis

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

I love the Marauder, and I'm definitely trying that build on my 5M (got a really boring AC5/ERLL build that I dont like), I'd say skip the JJs altogether. Waste of tonnage on that mech, put more pewpewdakkadakka on it instead, and brawl to your hearts content

#17 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:12 AM

I tend to run around 4 armor in my rear torsos. When you die, try to make a note of what is getting shot off and possibly adjust your armor accordingly.

#18 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

I say give it a shot. If possible I'd consider dropping a heat sink and adding a laser but not sure how it would work out heat wise.

Also note that unless your target is standing still or walking straight towards you the aim points for your laser and ac20 are going to be different. Try shooting the ac20 first, seeing where it lands and following up to the same spot with the lasers.

Usually for a brawler you want srms with ac20 because they sync nicely in projectile velocity and range and can be fired at once, allowing you more time to torso twist, but whatever give it a shot and see how it goes.

Also note that due to the need to track a component with lasers your optimal fighting range is probably right at the edge of the ac20 range, so 250 m to 300 m. Closer than that and you could have trouble maintaining aim lock on maneuvering enemies as they go out of your torso twist range.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 23 April 2017 - 02:00 PM.

#19 the sixth tier

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

unfortunately it's maxxed out on lasers. well this one was a lot of fun:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...aa803291d9bd0d1

so i saw this as a "better version", so-to-speak. high ac/20, jj, more hs, more armor, etc.

Edited by the sixth tier, 23 April 2017 - 02:09 PM.

#20 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:43 PM

View Postthe sixth tier, on 23 April 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

unfortunately it's maxxed out on lasers. well this one was a lot of fun:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...aa803291d9bd0d1

so i saw this as a "better version", so-to-speak. high ac/20, jj, more hs, more armor, etc.

Just my 2 cents...but I ended up preferring dual LB10Xs over a single AC20 on some of my MADs. Not sure if I can put into words why. If it works for you, and you enjoy the -5M with an AC/20, then that's all that really matters, though. Many might even prefer dual UAC5s, but I don't really like them all that much myself.

You are kind of painting yourself into a corner, I guess, by looking for a mech that can run an IS AC/20 (in a high mount) with JJ as well as using a standard engine. This the MWO equivalent of looking for a hot GF who is also down to earth, independently wealthy and not bat**** insane. At some point your going to have to give a little somewhere, LOL.

Now, I gotta say...if only PGI had given some of the Roughneck variants jumpjets...you'd have exactly what you're looking for. In hindsight I think adding JJ to some of the variants (like the -1A, -1B, -1C and maybe -2A?) would probably have bumped them up from being mediocre to actually being rather sought after (IMHO, of course), and I can only hope that if they decide to buff some of the more lackluster variants in the future that they'd be willing to add JJ to them.

View PostThe Basilisk, on 22 April 2017 - 03:13 AM, said:

Also the IS MAD chassis has issues with its AC hump beeing shot out too easy when engaging at distances below 300m (srms...)

This times a million, and it's one of the reasons I liked running the -5D with 2xASRM-6s. You can almost see people aiming for your RT, then going "...uh...wait...what"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users