Down With The J-2-C (Jenner Iic Builds)

9 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

So I'm having fun with a new mech for me, the Jenner IIC. I'd be interested in what some veteran players have done build wise, and thoughts on what you've found to be 1. the most effective/helpful for your team, and 2. the most fun.

First thoughts, pros:
Oh boy can this thing have some speed on it. You're not the fastest light but you can get moving and still have a bit of tankiness and firepower. If you have some other fast lights, you can participate in a highly mobile and deadly wolf pack. Very fun.

First thoughts, cons:
Man, this thing has a giant duck bill snout on it that is all center torso. I'm not sure I've found the best way to move yet to protect the CT; it seems hit and run with low exposure using cover is probably the best way to go rather than trying to twist. You are a bit bigger and easier target than the other fast lights, so you have to be careful. With that in mind it seems the mech would favor builds that allow quick pop and shoots rather than steady DPS weapons.

Anyhow, the builds I've been messing with:

IIC-A: pure energy
IIC-3: mixed energy/missile
IIC(C): pure missile

JR7-IIC-A 145.8 kph, 6xSPL, 2xJJ, 12xHS

Sacrifices heat management for speed. My question on it is; is a bit slower good in exchange for more heat sinks? Coming out of a Spider 5K, speed is life so currently I'm going with speed. Switching down to 6xERSL gives you an extra 3 tons to play with:

JR7-IIC-A 145.8 kph, 6xERSL, 2xJJ, 15xHS

This seems slightly less punchy but more sustainable. Coming out of the Spider 5K, which could standoff at a safe distance and be an effective harasser; the Jenner here is a bit more aggressive and dangerous; you have no long-range option. Fighting lights is one thing, but then getting in there and helping the team by applying pressure on heavies and assaults is very dangerous when you have to close to under 300 meters to do anything and may not have terrain to work with. So really you have to be tight with a light lance wolf pack, or you are relegated to sitting back and protecting your own heavies from overly aggressive enemy lights.

JR7-IIC-A 136.5 kph, 2xERLL, 2xJJ, 13xHS

Long range harassment, still fast enough to keep up with the wolf pack. Long duration of the ERLL means should be able to get at least a little bit of beam time on the legs of enemy Locusts while at the same time being able to pop-and shoot harass enemy heavies safely from distance. Haven't tried this one yet, but I'm thinking coming out of the Spider 5K I will like it. Only have to close the range when desired, otherwise can pop and shoot and protect your fragility. Plus, ERLL benefit most from the cooldown quirk (as opposed to quirking SPL or ERSL, which only shaves off a little cooldown time). More I look at it the more I like it on paper.

JR7-IIC-3 141.2 kph, 2xSRM6, 4xERSL, 2xJJ, 12xHS

This was my best attempt at the '3' variant. Problem is the standard SRM6's spread quite a bit making you have to get clooose, and you're a bigger target than a Locust, Spider, or Arctic Cheeta, so you'll get shot at. Seems workable but I've been hit or miss with it and would be interested in '3' variant thoughts. Only other one I've thought about:

JR7-IIC-3 141.2 kph, 2xSSRM4, 4xSPL, 2xJJ, 12xHS

To best use both missile hardpoints in the CT you really have to do either 2xSRM6 or 2xSSRM4. You could do 2xSRM4, but you can't do 2xSRM4A. Anyhow - the SSRM's seem good but again require you to keep an open line of site and some face time rather than popping and shooting. This baby does seem like it would do a decent job of killing those pesky Locusts and Spiders, but apart from that I'm not sure.

Finally:

What do you guys do on the JR7-IIC(C)? I'm thinking:

4xSRM4A + 3JJ, (SRM4A is supposed to be good, right? I don't feel safe if I'm not moving over 130 kph in a light though!)

6xSRM6 splat to the max! (no JJ, almost a kamikaze win big or die - effective or insane?)

Streak City (Looks interesting - but effective? very, very slowly grind away)

Edited by ShooterMcGavin80, 22 April 2017 - 10:14 AM.

#2 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:24 PM

I always leave the engine at the max, and then usually add the full amount of armor. I then shave about 8 points or so off of the head and side torsos (six from the head on each from each side torso -- leaves 230 points of armor) to get as close to xx.0 as possible. I think the actual weight ends up being 34.9 or something. The only exception to this was where I put 4xSRM4 (arms) and 2xSRM2 (torso) on the prime variant, where I needed to shave off another half ton of armor to fit another jumpjet (for 211 total armor). I like to have two JJ, but in a pinch I guess I could drop one and add the armor back on. I then use whatever is left for weapons, ammo, and DHS.

I only looked at some of your links, but they seemed to trade speed for firepower; that's just not a trade I've been willing to consider. But what is left with my builds for firepower is sufficient. 4xERSLas + 2xSRM4 with two tons ammo and two DHS for example. With 230 armor, max engine, and two JJ I am left with 8 tons free for weapons, 8.5 if I drop half a ton of armor or a JJ, 9 if I drop armor and a JJ. But with just 8 tons you could have 2ERMLas for range, and 4xSPLas for up close and have two DHS, or a similar build with 4xERSLas instead of pulses to allow for two more DHS.

By having all of your Jenners with the same engine and JJ's, you set them up to all handle the same way, which makes it easier to have a feel for what the mech will do.

#3 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

View PostErtur, on 23 April 2017 - 10:24 PM, said:

I only looked at some of your links, but they seemed to trade speed for firepower; that's just not a trade I've been willing to consider.

Yup, you're right. I've been playing and aye, the engine needs to be kept at the max rating. I just have the JR7-IIC-A mastered so far with this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ec0218d181c5269

I feel like this is probably the only way to go with the IIC-A. You could trade the Clan Active Probe for one more heat sink but otherwise - with speed tweak unlocked and radar deprivation - it is doing pretty good work for me. A 6xSPL build I feel runs a bit too hot.

For the JR7-IIC-3 I'm going to go with:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1e43d7aa42727fd

And the JR7-IIC(C):
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8dda27c6be80e3e
(could trade the active probe for 1 more ton of ammo maybe)

although, I feel like I won't have really lived unless I try:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0cb478b04b4937f
At least once.

#4 JENNER llC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:31 PM

for reference purposes in relation to topic
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:01 AM

The Great Embiggening was a serious nerf to all of the 35 tonners (though the 25 ton and under mechs made out like bandits).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c2156186364c615, despite my earlier objection to dropping the speed, actually works ok; like an Oxide with JJ. I prefer it to what I started with, which was like your linked one. The first link, not the ROFLsplat one.

Edited by Ertur, 25 April 2017 - 09:05 AM.

#6 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for providing the pics, very interesting. As much as it kinda sucks, I think making the Jenner bigger probably was fair. Looks almost locust-sized pre-embiggening. Also interesting there is some side torso on your snout projection; I thought it was probably all CT. Twisting then should be not entirely bad protection. Though losing a side torso is almost as bad as dying with the speed loss.

View PostErtur, on 25 April 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c2156186364c615, despite my earlier objection to dropping the speed, actually works ok; like an Oxide with JJ. I prefer it to what I started with, which was like your linked one. The first link, not the ROFLsplat one.

I'll have to give it a shot. Why wouldn't you move the SRM2's into the arms, and have double SRM4's in the CT? I do occasionally lose arms, and keeping a couple 4's in the CT would help preserve firepower... depends how much you find yourself shooting at low or high angles, I guess. Eh, I can see keeping them in the arms makes sense too.

Happy Jenner hunting.

#7 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

Honestly, I just had a bunch of clan SRM4's and 2's laying around. 1x6's in the arms and 2x4's in the CT weighs the same and has the same firepower, but cycles more slowly. 5x4's would work ok. I have 3 weapons groups: right arm, left arm, torso. It's handy sometimes to have the 4 in the torso be a bit quicker.

#8 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:42 AM

JR7-IIC "Shortbus" : ERPPC, 2 SPL, JJ´s

#9 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:32 AM

i often find my self going all leeroy jenkins in my jenner only to realize after im about half way across the mapp...**** im not in my bane,

the thing is almost as fast as the locust, but is a HELL of a lot bigger... Where my locust has a lot of stealth ninja assassin going for it the jenner is more hey look at me... hit me if you can... Dont let me get to close,

I run my A with 6 small pluse.. which im confident frying just about any mech with 3 or 4 alphas Or my (o) with 4 6's

#10 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

Just in closing, the final builds I ended up doing and liking, that worked for me:

JR7-IIC-A ERSL with Clan Active Probe, 145.8 kph
JR7-IIC-3 ERSL with 2xSRM6, 145.8 kph
JR7-IIC SRM6, 129.6 kph

Once you finally got the speed tweak going and the basic skills doubled, it made a night and day difference in performance with all three.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users