Where To Get Introductory Box Set?

30 replies to this topic

#1 King Chimera

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

I can't seem to find it anywhere, or at least not for a reasonable price. Anybody else know where I can get one or if I can get into the tabletop game differently?

#2 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

Define reasonable price?

Keep in mind, you are getting rules, maps and models in that starter kit.

#3 King Chimera

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 22 April 2017 - 01:34 PM, said:

Define reasonable price?

Keep in mind, you are getting rules, maps and models in that starter kit.

True, true. I'm unfamiliar with the pricing of an tabletop games, but I just assumed that the $160-$200 was an overpricing. I was assuming that $60 was what it should be since that's what is listed on the Battletech website. It does indeed come with a lot and if that really isn't being ripped off then I can go for the $160ish price from Amazon.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostXiyumos, on 22 April 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

True, true. I'm unfamiliar with the pricing of an tabletop games, but I just assumed that the $160-$200 was an overpricing. I was assuming that $60 was what it should be since that's what is listed on the Battletech website. It does indeed come with a lot and if that really isn't being ripped off then I can go for the $160ish price from Amazon.

You're likely to see it quite a bit higher than that. Sets of four pieces tend to go around 11 bucks.

Something to remember is the miniatures are usually made out of metal (though cheaper ones out of plastic) and the sourcebooks tend to go for around 15 each.

There seem to be smaller starter sets at around 80.

If you're wanting to get into tabletop but not sure if you really want to invest into it... Why not try Megamek? It's a digital form of tabletop. It uses flat graphics and it doesn't truly explain the rules but it handles the rules for you and all you need to do is know what you want to do and that it goes in the order of move, shoot, melee if possible; it will handle the rest. There isn't an undo move key, though. Once you move, you moved.

I can help you get started if you want. And from there if you care to have the physical stuff, by all means. Personally I skipped the big set and made my own maps with four packs, eight packs and single miniatures

#5 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

View PostXiyumos, on 22 April 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

I can't seem to find it anywhere, or at least not for a reasonable price. Anybody else know where I can get one or if I can get into the tabletop game differently?

Ebay can be a good source to pick up stuff used. A lot of times it is from Goodwill stores across the country that have had the stuff donated to them. I have bought a lot of source books from there for a fraction of what they cost new. I have also seen the TT stuff cheap at times but it does not last long if it is listed at a good price. Amazon can be a good source also through their affiliate sellers.

#6 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:58 PM

View PostXiyumos, on 22 April 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

Okay, Amazon has people that over price things in order to make $, and it makes me sad to see it happening as that is a typical eBay thing... That being said a F.L.G.S. (Friendly Local Game Store/Shop) should be able to offer you something, failing that, you should be able to order it directly from Catalyst. Also, try "the war store" online services, they maybe​some help as well. Do keep in mind, that most table top miniature games have an introductory box set that should range between $70-$150 depending on the game, with Warhammer being at the higher end of the spectrum.

#7 King Chimera

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 April 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

You're likely to see it quite a bit higher than that. Sets of four pieces tend to go around 11 bucks.

Something to remember is the miniatures are usually made out of metal (though cheaper ones out of plastic) and the sourcebooks tend to go for around 15 each.

If you're wanting to get into tabletop but not sure if you really want to invest into it... Why not try Megamek? It's a digital form of tabletop. It uses flat graphics and it doesn't truly explain the rules but it handles the rules for you and all you need to do is know what you want to do and that it goes in the order of move, shoot, melee if possible; it will handle the rest. There isn't an undo move key, though. Once you move, you moved.

I can help you get started if you want. And from there if you care to have the physical stuff, by all means. Personally I skipped the big set and made my own maps with four packs, eight packs and single miniatures

Megamek sounds like a great option for trying out Battletec before putting down the money for the figures and everything Posted Image

Edited by Xiyumos, 24 April 2017 - 12:02 PM.

#8 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

View PostXiyumos, on 24 April 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

Megamek sounds like a great option for trying out Battletec before putting down the money for the figures and everything Posted Image

It is, I keep a copy of it on most of my laptops (both home and work) for when I've got 10-30min to run a short skirmish.Posted Image

Just be aware the AI is kind of dumb.... not average MWO pilot dumb, but pretty dumb.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:45 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 24 April 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

It is, I keep a copy of it on most of my laptops (both home and work) for when I've got 10-30min to run a short skirmish.Posted Image

Just be aware the AI is kind of dumb.... not average MWO pilot dumb, but pretty dumb.

This depends. Tweaking the AI is easy. The less you give the AI the smarter it is. For a medium battle it is better to give up to 4 units to each AI and put them on a team together rather than face a single AI.

#10 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 April 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

This depends. Tweaking the AI is easy. The less you give the AI the smarter it is. For a medium battle it is better to give up to 4 units to each AI and put them on a team together rather than face a single AI.

That's what I usually do, but I don't find it trying to set up ambushes... Or if you give it VTOL's it doesn't seem to understand how to use them.... And I don't mean actual VTOL tactics, rather the AI just tries to fly them off the closes board edge....

Also don't let it use Clan mechs, it doesn't understand the clan honor system, it has a bad habit of having all their mechs dump fire on one of yours.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

It likely won't set up ambushes but under double blind it is known to try and hunt or patrol.

I use the AI versus AI for testing the effectiveness of mechs. It's super fast provided that an AI doesn't get stuck.

Here's something from one of those tests.

Tale time!
In some test scenarios using just AI, I put Ohta, Izumi and a random original character up against themselves but in the Nin Keis as opponents. Nin Keis don't have hands or lower arm actuators, though at the time the 20 tonners didn't have more than a single MG and an SRM that did nothing. When Izumi's martial arts skills really shone through with the 20 ton mech in the form of triple punches and double kicks. Her lower gunnery skill also showed a little too well. But when Izumi and the random dude lost their 20 ton mechs, it was Ohta versus 3 Nin Keis piloted by their doppelgangers.

Remember all six pilots were controlled entirely by six different AIs (1 for each personality and then a duplicate on the opposing side and each set of three pilots established as allied players) in a simultaneous turn environment. Ohta charged the random dude clone and after tackling that Nin Kei, he got up, picked up good Izumi in his hand actuator (I didn't even know you could do that in Megamek) and cockpit shot the helpless Nin Kei. Ohta vs ohta was quite a shootout, 20 ton Ohta using the forests for cover which soaked up most of the damage, it also allowed him to slip out of sight. He evidently ran into a hefty tree along the way for 3 damage. He then popped out and surprised Nin Kei Izumi from behind with a smoke SRM-2 and MG. Nin Kei Izumi tried to counter with a kick but the Nin Kei isn't made for melee and then you add being blind, and no wonder she flopped on her rear.

Ohta kicked her but during the same turn and after the kick Nin Kei Ohta popped out of the woodwork and blasted away. 20 ton Ohta managed to snag the good random dude along the way (never saw when it happened, it just had one dude in each hand) and I finally realized why Ohta refused to return fire. He hand his hands full, literally, and thus couldn't shoot.

So these things are freaking awesome! In the end Ohta chose to escape by exiting the map. Truth be told he couldn't have won anyway, as super accurate as Ohta was with just an MG and frequent crits he didn't stand a chance and the only reason he beat the first Nin Kei was the tackle and both that and Izumi's Nin Keis were badly beaten on by 20 ton Izumi and the original dude.

The character names come from PatLabor, and the AI was set up to have similar personality traits. Izumi Noa is more cautious, a better pilot, a terrible shot but very good at melee and careful manipulation of the mech's limbs (she practices tying ropes and finger games using yawn overtop of the mech's fingers). Ohta is an absolutely abysmal pilot. Brash, over confident and often just longs to be able to shoot something. He is an amazing shot and practices a lot without using any computerized assistance. Polar opposites pretty much, which makes them great for testing. The third guy's more of an in between or a control.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 25 April 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

Also don't let it use Clan mechs, it doesn't understand the clan honor system, it has a bad habit of having all their mechs dump fire on one of yours.

Under AI settings... There's a group mentality setting of sort. Make it more of a soloist and its units will behave more independently. Combine this with individual AIs and then put them on a team for something even more genuine.

Closest you will get to the Clan honor system. Beyond that you can 'delay' drops of additional Clan mechs if you're thinking of something more like a Trial of Possession or Position.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 April 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

The character names come from PatLabor, and the AI was set up to have similar personality traits. Izumi Noa is more cautious, a better pilot, a terrible shot but very good at melee and careful manipulation of the mech's limbs (she practices tying ropes and finger games using yawn overtop of the mech's fingers). Ohta is an absolutely abysmal pilot. Brash, over confident and often just longs to be able to shoot something. He is an amazing shot and practices a lot without using any computerized assistance. Polar opposites pretty much, which makes them great for testing. The third guy's more of an in between or a control.

The battles were between two original security/industrial mech creations, the Masayoshi (Justice) and the Nin Kei. Puck (also known as Napoleon, 10 tons) was also tested but the results weren't as interesting.

Masayoshi (until I can do some original art) It is based off Patlabor's basic middle-ground police model and will be approximately 9.63 to 10 meters tall.
Posted Image

Nin Kei, a more aggressive chicken-walker design similar to Ed 209 and Linebacker, is going to be 6 to 9 meters tall (much of its weight will be distributed horizontally) and features Catapillar tracks, allowing it to keep moving by doing the Robot jocks maneuver if the leg gives out.

Both feature commercial armor, which gives you more points per ton (12 per ton instead of 8) than military grade armor, but its Barrier Armor Resistance is 5 instead of 10, basically meaning anything fired from a mech or vehicle will be able to pierce the armor and get crit rolls. And Mech Rifles do full damage (to anything 7 and under in terms of BAR.).

#14 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

View PostXiyumos, on 22 April 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

Apparently it is out of print at the moment and thus the ridiculous pricing. There is some speculation that another reprint is in the works, possibly to coincide with the release of the new HBS game but who knows.

#15 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

Download the following documents (these are or have been freely released in the past and are not pirated)

CBT_Introductory_Rulebook.pdf
CAT3500A_BoxSet_RecordSheets_with_Counters.pdf
CAT3500A_BoxSet_Tables.pdf
BattletechUniverseGuide.pdf

For maps try to find
Classic Battletech Map Compilation 1(I believe this was a free preview document at some point, but I may be wrong).

Alternatively try to find a older pdf document for quickstart rules which includes one map graphic.
I believe this is the map I was thinking of http://sarna.s3.amaz...ppages-2-15.pdf. The default Battletech map is similar in theme but has small cliffs and water which allows use of all the introductory rules.
Posted Image

Map box sets may still be available. Now days they are printed on heavy foldable cardboard which makes them pricier than fragile paper sets of years past.

One can essentially play BT free or very close to it. It is a large appeal of the game. I bought the 25th Anniversary edition which I really like, but unfortunately my gaming friends don't share my passion for the franchise. Posted Image

As others have mentioned Megamek is another avenue to explore the game. Third party freeware like Solaris Skunkwerks have the record sheets for all published canon mech designs and it functions as an excellent mech design program.

Edited by Spheroid, 15 May 2017 - 12:04 AM.

#16 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:53 AM

Quick start rules are available as a free download at http://bg.battletech.com/downloads/
Includes 2 mech record sheets, 1 map sheet, 2 paper cutout mechs and simplified rules.

You'll just need a printer, some paper, 2 six sided dice and a pencil or other pen.

Might be a good way to pass the time while waiting for a rulebook/box set to ship.

Edited by Exilyth, 22 May 2017 - 03:54 AM.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 03 May 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

As others have mentioned Megamek is another avenue to explore the game. Third party freeware like Solaris Skunkwerks have the record sheets for all published canon mech designs and it functions as an excellent mech design program.

On your phone, an app called Mech Factory is made by http://battletech.rpg.hu/ which has a lot of details, builds, etc. on virtually all units. It also gives rules for every piece of equipment that might have them and works great as a quick reference guide. It also lets you hold 10 custom designs for free.
I find that its access to everything from infantry to factions to equipment to space ships and more is invaluable. It even has a 'gisted' combat system where your unit (piloted by AI) can be pit against another unit or several to test its performance. It's pretty neat.

Btw, did you know that a very specific hero Atlas in the dark ages has a kitchen installed?
Imagine the mess when that thing gets pummelled...

Anyway, one of the best features in my opinion is you can look at lists of units and equipment by varying categories, including what TRO they are in, what faction uses them, etc. Who'd think that Maulers were Kurita exclusive? Figured they'd be Davion due to the Davion love of autocannons.

It's mech builder can get as detailed as skunk works which is pretty amazing. You can even drop down for existing tech names if you wanted to make sure your made up unit is within the universe (for example, specific targeting system, etc.)

#18 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 May 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

Who'd think that Maulers were Kurita exclusive? Figured they'd be Davion due to the Davion love of autocannons.

Yes and no, it wasn't an accident that let a FedCom unit (First Summerset Strikers) get their hands on a DCMS-90X Daboku for field testing against the clans... Also the production version of the Daboku became the Mauler, which is the Davion code name that was issued to the Daboku....

#19 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 April 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

That's a real shame. What ever happened to the good old days when you could buy the Advanced dungeons and dragons, BASIC and EXPERT sets. They came with a module, rule book, handy quick guide and dice all for like maybe 10 or 15 bucks? It was 1980 so i don't really recall.

Then they added all the bigger books, and miniatures for people that really got into the game. But if they really don't have a cheap starter set, BT is doing a HUGE disservice to picking up new fans.

These days, there is no excuse for a nice starter set with a basic rule book, dice, a map and a few plastic miniatures for around 25 bucks.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

There was a website link with free PDFs to start into the game. It also includes mech cards...that I guess you can place on a board? I dunno. But yeah. Alpha Strike is currently the new "starter set" so far as I can tell. At least it seems to be the current focus for miniatures while BT itself is listed as for the board game.. (Is there a difference between a "Miniatures" game and a "Board" game?)

------------

Side note.

View PostMetus regem, on 25 May 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

Yes and no, it wasn't an accident that let a FedCom unit (First Summerset Strikers) get their hands on a DCMS-90X Daboku for field testing against the clans... Also the production version of the Daboku became the Mauler, which is the Davion code name that was issued to the Daboku....

Daboku lore came later as a retcon. That said, the First Somerset Strikers is a Steiner-based force (I get FedCom and Fed...whatever the other one is mixed up a lot so just making sure it's known it isn't Davion).... and the Mauler they had is the Mauler they obtained when they took over the uh... hell I can't spell it. Gimme a minute...

...The Dropship Kwaidan.

This said, the cartoon featured and I'm taking this directly from page 96 the Designer Notes in that introductory book 1st Somerset Strikers:
"Of course our choices necessitated a few story line compromises on individual 'Mechs. For exampl, the Battletech Technical Readout 3050 cites the Mauler as a design exclusive to the Draconis Combine military forces, but the animated show has everybody and his brother operating one."

Also of note about the changes to mainstream BT they had to do to make the cartoon manageable:
"Planets are fought over using ten or fewer mechs instead of the hundreds or so used in the fiction". "Instead of remaining in Falcon hands, Somerset is 'liberated' by episode 13... though we intend to do something about that in the second animated series."

Lets take another look at that.

"about that in the second animated series."
"in the second animated series."
"second animated series."

Why we no get the second animated series, FASA?!!

---

Also, Daboku was used "tested" and used in real battle in 3039.... 21 years before the Clans invaded. Kinda pointless to keep testing it, especially since in 3050 its replacement rolled off the assembly line (the Mauler) and THAT needed testing... except as Kurita's new model, I doubt they were gonna loan it out. In Episode 2 (oh **** was his name....) Captain Zachary Miles "Hawk" Hawkins faked a malfunctioning spacecraft ploy, got on board the dropship Kwaidan and took it over (by himself, miraculously by making use of gravity boots and fighting 'upside down').

The Mauler in that series belonged to Franklin Sakamoto whose smuggling gig was being illegally transported by Jeroen Frestadt (the dropship commander.) Admittedly there seemed to be some sort of intention of selling them to an unknown force along the Kurita-Steiner border, except where Somerset is, that'd be in Rassalhague space.

Edited by Koniving, 28 May 2017 - 02:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users