Linux Client

17 replies to this topic

Poll: About Linux (59 member(s) have cast votes)

What about a Linux Client?

1. It would be a nice addition, many games already have support nowadays (54 votes [91.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.53%

2. Not required, voting no because I don't use Linux or other reasons (4 votes [6.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

3. Other (1 votes [1.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

Well, I am locked out of MWO... Posted Image

I decided to purge my house from windows so I am in trouble with MWO, the only game I used to play without a Linux client. I tried with wine without much success.

Dear PGI, you are doing A LOT right of late, what about this final step? you may find another players pool waiting for a great mecha game.

Edited by EvilCow, 23 April 2017 - 08:06 AM.

#2 Radkres

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

Have You looked at ReactOS it is a windows alternative that runs windows.

#3 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

I know ReactOS but it is not mature and I would only be replacing windows with a less mature windows clone. A more interesting option would be to use a VM using the recently introduced "Virtual GPU", that allows applications in the VM to access the GPU directly allowing near native speeds, sadly this is at least 1-2 years away.

Other games based on Crytek have Linux versions so it should be feasible, more of a political/commercial kind of decision.

#4 Denebios

• Pip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

It is a matter of Licensing to Microsoft.... there was a Thread about this....

#5 Gator the angry pimp

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNorthern California, USA

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

I think a linux client would do BIG thinks for MWO as a community, as well as financially AND developmentally.I know 6 or 7 people including myself who have not tried MWO at all or (in my case) did not try it for several months due to the sole fact its on windows. the marjetinv demographic for a linux client has HUGE potential and Im willing to bet money once a couple devs get a taste for what MWO is, the direction its heading, and its limitless potential... youd have some very smart people willing to help in anyway they can.

#6 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

Hopefully UE4 will allow MW5 to run under Linux natively.
Hopefully we'll get an engine port for MW:O some time after MW5 is released.

#7 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

I've gotten MWO to run on debian using gallium 9 wine and an RX580 but it's got stuttering and loading issues, but runs at 60 fps between the stutters.

MWO can also run in directx10/11 mode using wine-staging with CSMT. Haven't tried that but it could be neat.

#8 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:54 AM

View PostTibbnak, on 11 February 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

I've gotten MWO to run on debian using gallium 9 wine and an RX580 but it's got stuttering and loading issues, but runs at 60 fps between the stutters.

MWO can also run in directx10/11 mode using wine-staging with CSMT. Haven't tried that but it could be neat.

Could you update us if you have more info about this? I am still interested in the game but I am playing WT instead just because it has a playable client.

#9 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:34 PM

I remember that I've managed to run MwO some time ago using Ubuntu on Asus X501A laptop with Intel i3-2350 + Intel HD 3000 and 4 GB of RAM.

Here are pics from my attempt.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So far I had 4-8 FPS while on Windows I have 5-12 FPS.

#10 SURG

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:13 PM

I run Ubuntu 17.10 with PlayOnLinux with Wine 3.4 on a laptop with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 and MWO through Steam runs mostly flawlessly. You have to switch over to DirectX 9 to get decent framerates. The only major issue I have is the VOIP degrades overtime and eventually is unintelligible

Edited by SURG, 02 April 2018 - 07:14 PM.

#11 VaudeVillain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

Before the latest patch, I was also running Ubuntu 17.10 but I installed MWO using Lutris. It was funny that the 32-bit client said my video card wasn't supported, but 64-bit on Windows doesn't complain. It is sad to see so many companies not including Linux support in games. I'd rather not be forced to by proprietary hardware with Macs and Windows just collects too much information any more or throws up ads, so Linux and the other Unix derivatives are truly the only open OSes anymore.

Also, isn't ReactOS basically built on WINE so it's limited to 32-bit clients as well?

#12 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 05:48 AM

Sorry for necro, but...

Did somebody managed to run MwO via Steam Play project Proton?

#13 ohartenstein23

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:43 PM

It works about as well as setting up a 64-bit wine prefix through playonlinux; in other words, it crashes more often than not on startup, but if you can get into a match it's pretty stable until you exit back to the mechlab.

For reference, I've been trying it both through a wine-installed windows version of steam and through steam play on Ubuntu 16.04.

#14 ohartenstein23

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:59 AM

Hey ManganMan, I created a post that details how I've gotten the game mostly working, if you'd like to try - https://mwomercs.com...ntu-steam-play/

#15 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:51 AM

Thanks. Gonna test it some time later, especially when I'll have a decent gaming PC with Manjaro Linux with Deepin desktop :D

#16 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:48 AM

View Postohartenstein23, on 06 September 2018 - 03:59 AM, said:

Hey ManganMan, I created a post that details how I've gotten the game mostly working, if you'd like to try - https://mwomercs.com...ntu-steam-play/

Thank you for the link.

#17 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:20 PM

Not having a Linux client is actually why I haven't been playing for the last 3ish years.

The only thing that brought me back is a temporary return to Windows due to wow classic also being less than optimal on Linux.

#18 Dueliest

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 02:20 AM

All they have to do is add Vulkan support and wala Linux support!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users