When Did You First Find Out About Battletech/mechwarrior?

78 replies to this topic

#21 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

Heh, either armored core: matter of arena or palladium robotech got me started on giant mechs, bt/mw itself? My younger bro had mw3 and pirates moon and we played that, but it wasn't until post mw4:mercs i started really getting into the setting specifically. I started looking into things bt related probably late 90s early 2000s looking for less anime styled mech games. Now owning old fasa books, I see why the robotech mechs were important art assets early on, oh god the first run art on post HG-suit mechs.

#22 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

Playing Multiplayer Online Battletech on the GEnie service in 1993. I have been a Rifleman enthusiast ever since and drive them with my Catapults to this very day!

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 24 April 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

Damn I forgot about Top Secret. Mine were D&D and then AD&D...I loved those hard covers...and as a child of the cold war Gamma World (I assumed we were all going to be irradiated into mutants or killed by the bomb so it was a natural fit). I didn't get biggly into BT until a bit later, but once I got a few others on board BattleTech (and a bit of AeroTech too) became our primary TT/RPG game (never really got into MW as an RPG though god knows we tried).

Interestingly, while I read all the Gamma World Choose Your Own Adventure titles as a kid, never actually played the game, or knew anyone with it. As for D&D, it was Red Box basic in 1980, by 82 my brother had started on AD&D 1ed, and then by this time we were into 2ed. My first character, Aarion Murthetyra, (the "Dragonslayer"...hey I was 5 when I made him) was a Neutral Thief, and me and my best friend, who played a Neutral Magic User decided we had enough of your Lawful Fighter neighbor by the end of the intro Module that came with the Red Box. So I backstabbed him. And we kept the loot.

Made it a natural change by 1ed, to change him to a Neutral Evil Assassin, and later leveled up as a Fighter, too. (Eventually he ended up settling at Chaotic Neutral, and I have never forgiven 2ed for ruining Assassins, even if they did fix the utter stupidity of the 1ed Bard).

3ed was OK... but by 3.5 it got way too rules heavy and I haven't even tried seriously to look into since, once I saw 4ed was more of the same (and just seemed like an excuse to sell more books). Plus by Jr High School, I had discovered Palladium, Robotech, etc, and would end up getting into Rifts, Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf, etc, and other games with much better overall systems for storytelling.

Now, I tend to prefer Rules Lite type RPGs, and really actually liked what I saw from the Dragons Age box set.

#24 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

1988 on a scout campout. Then I saw the PC game Crescents Hawk Inception not long after.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 24 April 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#25 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

1989-90 or so, started playing with my older brothers; no idea where they first encountered it.

#26 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:02 PM

I saw the BattleTech game in a comic book store when it came out about 1985 but I had tried table top games back in 1977 after getting out of the service and trying to support myself and go to college. It just never stuck with me. In 1995 I bought my first computer and got the MechWarrior game for DOS. Since that time, I have played all of them including play competitively for a time in MW4 and MWLL. The competitive part became too much of a commitment and almost like a second job so when RL became complicated I quit playing MW completely for almost 5 years. During my MWLL time, I got into reading the BT novels and source books. To date I have read about 50 of the novels at least once. I play MWO casually and just for fun so far.

Edited by Rampage, 24 April 2017 - 04:06 PM.

#27 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:15 PM

I was slumming for a new PC game at my local EB Games in my local mall and stumbled upon a game called Mechwarrior by Activision...

The rest is history and I was hooked for life.

#28 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

Posted Image

I was 4 years old when my mom bought our first computer,my dad wasn't around and my mom was a cop back then, she was always working.
My uncle would always come over to watch me, one day he picked up a copies of MW2 and Duke Nukem, I loved Duke Nukem but it scared the **** out me once I go to the prison level.

So my days consisted of playing this game over and over again, I was in love with that classic intro.

I remember learning to read and getting frustrated because I wanted to read the books but they were pretty difficult for a 5 year old to read.

Some of my best childhood memories are tied to this game.

Edited by Destructicus, 24 April 2017 - 04:32 PM.

#29 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

got a mechwarrior 2 demo with my first voodoo card. liked it, and then i bought the titanium version later on.

#30 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:44 PM

August 1993. I received the 3rd edition introductory box set for my Birthday.

#31 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:09 PM

http://www.sarna.net...Animated_Series

And every videogame after that. So1994 I guess. I used to dream about driving Zack Hawkins Mauler. I had toy Mauler, Axeman, Bushwacker, and Hunchback IIc.

Of course that translated to an adult as the Mauler was my first MWO assault purchase. And I also recently bought the Zack Hawkins hero Knockout.

Come to think about it it would be cool if there was a clan module for "enhanced targeting" that would overlay the enemys hit boxes and health status directly over the mech instead of up in the right hand corner.

#32 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 24 April 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Per title.

Positive thread was needed.

For me, 1996. MechWarrior 2. Friend of father gave me it to try out. From there I played the MechWarrior Franchise up to today.

Same. The guy in my American host family had introduced me to MW2, and Descent.

#33 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

I never even knew about the TT game, but I bought and loved The Crescent Hawks' Inception. It's also where I learned to fear Jenners and Urbanmechs.

#34 SeaLabCaptn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

90s box art looks familiar, but I've never played/watched someone play until MWO. I only play this because friends did.

#35 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

Wow brings back old memories lol

Was in a computer test career field in the military and our shop received a PC to support our new Huntron Tracker

We turned on and hooked up to a phone line and we where like OK what now
Someone said you need a web browser to search the web
Try Webcrawler someone said

OK what do we search for, I said type in Mechwarrior
at that time we taking and joking and had turned away from the screen

When we turned back Peewee shermon's adult adventures had popped up lol
Even back then we thought we where in big trouble

#36 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

Played Crescent Hawks Inception. Then I got Mechwarrior 1, which I think I may still have the manual of this somewhere.

But I always regarded myself as a big robot warrior first before mechwarrior, playing all sorts of different mech and robot games all throughout the years, and wished I played more. My first online PvP experience was Heavy Gear 2.

Edited by Anjian, 24 April 2017 - 08:06 PM.

#37 ColonelProctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 243 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHorn Lake, Mississippi

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

Got into it in 1992. Told a friend about the box set I saw but had yet to buy. Turns out he had already played some Battletech and he gave me a copy of TRO: 3025 AND 3026. after that I hunted down every book that had been printed and bought the computer games as well.

#38 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

1995, a friend pass me a copy of Mechwarrior 2 and Ghost Bear, but wasn't really into the game.
Sometime later I pick up Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, and found my calling.

#39 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:49 PM

Yeah, at some point I was wondering why so many military dudes where into the stompy robots. And then I remembered that I started playing Battletech and Mechwarrior/Netmech back in 96 during my military service (we still had a conscription army back then). Saw the Battlemaster in the 3025 TRO, fell in love and have been playing with Mechs in some form ever since.

#40 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:39 PM

https://mwomercs.com...ing-battletech/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users