When Did You First Find Out About Battletech/mechwarrior?

78 replies to this topic

#41 Arthur SIlverlake

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

It was this game 4 years ago, AngryJoe did a Video on this game. That was the start of me actually playing this game (even though i dropped it in favor for Hawken, very sad mistake i did).

Surprising enough it wasn't the first time I saw battletech stuff. My first experience with it in 1999 Mechwarrior 3. Though I never played it, and didn't want to even play it cause the sound alone scared the bajeebus out of me.

#42 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

Hard to say. A book cover when I was a child. A Mechwarrior Arcade machine I played once? Mechwarrior 2 on playstation one, it came with a two for one deal, the other game was Diablo, good times.

My initial impression of battletech/mechwarrior before I even knew what it was. Well it was "What weird looking robots..."

Edited by MechaBattler, 24 April 2017 - 09:46 PM.

#43 the sixth tier

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

i used to be really into telnet games for whatever reason and got hooked on the muxes

rip in peace muxes

Edited by the sixth tier, 24 April 2017 - 09:56 PM.

#44 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

Mechwarrior 2, watched my cousin played when I was little.

I bought Mech 3 as the first game when I'm old enough to get a PC.

Intel Celeron... good ole times...

#45 Pr8Dator2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 250 posts
  • LocationCareer Clanner

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:51 PM

1992... was playing TT AD&D and then a group came around and played some really cool TT robot game with cool miniatures... thats when it started and I never looked back

#46 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:54 PM

MW2 came in a games bundle with my first computer. Along with Caesar II and a stack of truly memorable gems (/s) like Battle Beast.

#47 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:31 AM

Mechwarrior 2 was my first experience with the Battletech universe. It was a great game that ran...ok on our family computer.

#48 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:38 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 24 April 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Per title.

Positive thread was needed.

For me, 1996. MechWarrior 2. Friend of father gave me it to try out. From there I played the MechWarrior Franchise up to today.

Saw the boxed set in my local Hobby Shop. Those are places where they sell hobby related merchandise, a physical place you walk into and are surrounded by all thing hobby, from models and paints to boardgames. These things existed in abundance at one point....

Was picking up some mini's for a AD&D campaign and saw the box. Picked it up, looked it over, liked what I saw and read, and bought it. I still have that very same boxed set....

#49 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:41 AM

When I found this:

Posted Image

#50 Calon

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:43 AM

1988 Crescent Hawkes Inception. Man I'd play that again now if I had the spare time. Then MW and MW2 Mercenaries. I missed MW3 but came at it again with MW4. I also had some friends doing tabletop before 88, but I never had the patience for it.

#51 vettie

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:07 AM

Mid 90's.
I had seen the TT game in my favourite book/game store where I shopped for War Games.
Every time I went to that store to look at 'new releases' from SDI or SPI or Avalon Hill etc, I picked up the Battletech game and looked it over, read the back and considered the purchase.

Then I received the 'gold disk' that was to be installed on certain HP Pavilions to 'test it out'. MW2.
Never looked back.

#52 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:16 AM

Mech Assault: Phantom Wars. After I played it I thought "That was a good one-off game, I wonder if they'll be making a squeal." I then looked around and found it was the more recent in a long series of games. Played some of the previous titles for a while until I found MWO.

#53 Assault One

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:44 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 25 April 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

When I found this:

Posted Image

Same. That single player campaign was epic.The gravity of that last operation on Luthien only hit me years later when I learned more about the lore. After that, I played all the video games except MechAssault and the Pirate's Moon.

Damn, now I wanna play MW2: Mercs again.

Edited by Assault One, 25 April 2017 - 06:50 AM.

#54 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

From Gameland magazine - from it's issue, that also had Starsiege and Warzone 2100 reviews. Issue of this magazine had a disk with Starsiege demo. It was first 'Mech combat game in my life. I played it on famous PI 133 MMXes. I was amazed by it. But Mechwarrior III review from this magazine said, that this game was actually 100500 times better, than Starsiege. And back in 2003 one of my friends gave me MW4 Black Knight disk - that was first time, when I actually played MW game.

Edited by MrMadguy, 25 April 2017 - 06:59 AM.

#55 Trynn Allen

• PipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 42 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

1986ish. I borrowed a friends copy of Decision at Thunder Rift. Found out that there was an actual gaming group. Got a Stinger and got plastered. PLAS. TERED. Creamed. Utterly Destroyed. An Archer used my decimated corpse as club to beat the rest of the team up after he ran out of ammo. Went out and got City Tech and Tech Readout:3025 and came back with a Catapult and stomped the guy that blew me up the last time. It was bliss.

Played through High School, was a FASA goto person for Plattecon from 1990 - 1995 because I and a tag team ref ran a floor game on one inch rules. We did good. Stopped for a little bit through grad school, got married, and when a friend of mine showed me MegaMek in 2009 started playing that. And then 2012 started playing MW:O when a friend of mine pointed it out to me.

#56 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:32 AM

I guess I found out somewhere around 1988-89 when we got into red-box D&D, and started hanging around in the gaming stores.

First actual play was with 2nd ed. TT and MechForce on the Amiga.

#57 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 25 April 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

When I found this:

Posted Image

Hands down, the best Mechwarrior game to date.... PGI could print money if they made MW5 a remake of MW2:Mercs....

#58 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

Mid 2014, when a friend told me about MWO. Never played tabletop. Never played any battletech game before then, even though I had heard the word "battletech" before. Didn't know anything else about it. Biggest regret of my life. Now I'm hooked.

#59 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

I don't remember what year it was but when I was a kid and my Uncle used to let me play his computer after school. One of the games he had on there was Mechwarrior 2. Loved it. Never stopped playing mechwarrior titles.

#60 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:22 AM

Best friends family got a new computer and it was bundled with MW2. That intro video was the coolest thing my 6 year old eyes had ever seen.

Edited by Roughneck45, 25 April 2017 - 11:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users