Tier 3 To 2 Rating Question

33 replies to this topic

#1 Tomo Sukesada

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:32 AM

I am an average pilot at best with a KDR of above 1 in mechs that work with my play style. I only quick play and am about to move from tier 3 to 2. Will it get significantly more coompetitive? I was just wondering what to expect.

Thanks!

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

No. It's an XP bar. Even T1 is littered with not-even-average players.

#3 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:49 AM

View PostTercieI, on 25 April 2017 - 05:43 AM, said:

No. It's an XP bar. Even T1 is littered with not-even-average players.

Yup! And I am totally in that boat as a barely average player... yet here I am in topped out Tier 1.

#4 Tomo Sukesada

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

That's good, I won't be alone! I wonder if people create second accounts to level up new mechs? To breeze through, if you will.

#5 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:07 AM

Awesome for you, man! That means you're about an hour or two from Tier 1.

Not that it matters. Tier means nothing except that you've played X number of matches. The "matchmaker" still throws T5s and T1s together, so put away any dream of ever being able to play in a match without new players. In fact, it's pretty much been that way since the beginning.

No, you shouldn't expect any sort of difference in the gameplay once you breach T2. You'll be playing with the same people on the same maps with the same builds as you did the match before.

#6 H Seldon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:13 AM

I just recently moved up to Tier 1 even though I've been playing since invite only. The matches for me have gotten worse since Tier 1... Hopefully Tier 2 works out for you.

#7 Tomo Sukesada

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:29 AM

View PostH Seldon, on 25 April 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

I just recently moved up to Tier 1 even though I've been playing since invite only. The matches for me have gotten worse since Tier 1... Hopefully Tier 2 works out for you.

Worse? That is a surprise...

#8 Pr8Dator2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 250 posts
  • LocationCareer Clanner

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

PGI should seriously relook the tier system and base it off average match score instead.

#9 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:39 AM

There are a few more matches where your team loses bigly if you derp around, but it was not bad as before. Overall I'd say don't worry about it.

#10 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:40 AM

I've found that tier 2 games are WORSE than tier 3.

#11 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:40 AM

PGI should remove W/L from the tier system.
Only matchscore and maybe kills, KMDD, damage to some degree should count.
I mean, they call it PSR (player skill rating), but they give a clearly group-dependent stat (W/L) so much weight, that you could get carried to T1 without doing anything for it. (yes, you'd have to do at least a little bit, but not much)

I know the playerbase is small. But having one-sided matches won't help with that in the long run.
Experienced players get annoyed by players with lower skill, and inexperienced players get destroyed again and again which isn't very motivating either.

I'd gladly wait a bit longer for matches if that would mean that they wouldn't be so one-sided.

Edited by Roadbuster, 25 April 2017 - 06:42 AM.

#12 BlueFlames

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

Since the matchmaker was adjusted to allow you to be matched with players up to three tiers away from you, you're not even going to notice a difference. T2, T3, and T4 can all be matched with anyone and everyone queuing at the same time. T1 and T5 are the only tiers isolated from one another, and the early match PSR seeding bonus ensures that a little luck is all it takes for a day-one scrub to ascend to T4, where they can face anyone in the queue.

#13 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

Probably some what more competitive. but half the matches you won't notice too much difference.

The jump from T4 to T3 was rather drastic in my data. I went from a steady 50 KDR after 75matches down to holding about 18-20 after a 100 into T3. In the 75 matches in T4 I had several 8-10 kill rounds and a legit death star, Avg like 700 matchscore and trolled the now defunct mechstats website with huge scores not many would be able to replicate. http://imgur.com/a/jkVsX

When in T3 I was still able to take that alt and top the leaderboards just to show how much easier T3 is to dominate than the avg T1 game. But it was definitely nothing like T4 even in T3.

I don't think T2 will be as big a jump from T3 is from T4 by a long shot.

#14 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

View PostTomo Sukesada, on 25 April 2017 - 05:32 AM, said:

I am an average pilot at best with a KDR of above 1 in mechs that work with my play style. I only quick play and am about to move from tier 3 to 2. Will it get significantly more coompetitive? I was just wondering what to expect.

Thanks!

Nope. You do have more a concentration of better players all around though.
I recently opened an alternate account and started dropping into T5 again because I want an account where I can derp around without tanking my stats. T4-5 is pretty bad though....I'm not sure if it was the time of day i was playing though. Plus I'll use this account to test out mechs that I might want to buy.

But no, you'll not notice a difference really.

Edited by Humpday, 25 April 2017 - 07:23 AM.

#15 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:18 AM

Thanks!

No.

#16 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:56 AM

Thanks!

You can play competive or have fun, just ignore the tryhards and metawhores,
if they try to tell you what mech you have to take,
just tell then to shut up and play group if they cant bear pugplay.

Good example for a competive tryhard that cheats himself and other about his stats, you will meet some of them ...

xxx said:

I recently opened an alternate account and started dropping into T5 again because I want an account where I can derp around without tanking my stats.

... dont feed them after midnight and you will be ok.

Edited by Kroete, 25 April 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#17 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

View PostPr8Dator2, on 25 April 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

PGI should seriously relook the tier system and base it off average match score instead.

Not sure about that it should be so one dimensional, it should be algorithmic with weights being assigned to each criteria.
No one criteria determines a players overall skill, take light pilots. Backstab 3-4 people in a light perfectly, your end score will not be great, if anything it'll suck.

Switch to an assault with hex ac-2s. If i unload onto a moving/twisting atlas, just him, I'll rack up around 400-600 damage plus a kill. My next kill on an assault will yield similar, resulting in an end score of 800+ and a hefty match score with about 2-3 kills, close to 2. If I empty my entire mag of ac-2 its almost guaranteed at 800+ match.

This does not particularly mean I'm any more skilled just because I have a high match score. In my assault. In fact I'm much more lethal in my Heavies...which yield a higher Kill to death ratio and higher win ratio, but much lower match score.

As proof of this look up my average w/l k/d in this season for Heavies(Warhammers) vs Assaults(mauler). You'll see my match score is much bigger in my assaults, but my K/D is lower, W/L is also lower.

Similarly but to a lesser extent of impact in this instance, look at the way my light class scores. Very low right?

Now, if i wanted to be a snob, I can purposely rack up a high match score by purely targeting components. Instead of going for the kill, I can just wreak arms and torsos...this will yield a very high match score as you're going a ton of damage.

But my brain doesn't like that, I go for straight kills, of course when i get the chance and see an open torso I'll strip it off, but most the time I'm going for the kill.

Edited by Humpday, 25 April 2017 - 08:13 AM.

#18 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

There might be more "pros" telling you how to play.

#19 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:12 AM

View PostKroete, on 25 April 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

You can play competive or have fun, just ignore the tryhards and metawhores,
if they try to tell you what mech you have to take,
just tell then to shut up and play group if they cant bear pugplay.

Good example for a competive tryhard that cheats himself and other about his stats, you will meet some of them ...

... dont feed them after midnight and you will be ok.

Whatt lol? Whats wrong with getting and alternate account to screw around in. Also, whats wrong with trying hard? That in itself is a fundamental key to being successful at anything.

#20 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

View PostHumpday, on 25 April 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

Whatt lol? Whats wrong with getting and alternate account to screw around in. Also, whats wrong with trying hard? That in itself is a fundamental key to being successful at anything.

My stats show my play and screwing around, trying new/other mechs, all the things that "tanks" score.

You are outsourcing your bad days, little sunshine warrior!
Trying new mechs, Take the alt
Having a bad day? Take the alt
Its raining? Take the alt.

Sorry Humpday, your "score" and "rank" that you are showing are only a small part of your real score and rank,
thats why i call you a sunshine warrior and your stats are worth nothing without knowing your other alts.
And even if i would know them i would not do the math, iam too lazy to do that for a little sunshine warrior.

http://www.urbandict...p?term=try-hard
Someone who purchases a motorcycle only to appear as a "bad-boy"; try-hard.
Someone who uses a smurfaccount to derp around and receive their mainaccount; try-hard.

Edited by Kroete, 25 April 2017 - 08:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users