26 replies to this topic

#21 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 26 April 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

And yet when they announced in march they were postponing again... hundreds complained about another delay and to complain about all the whiners who ruined yet another new feature PGI has tried to implement to actually improve the game for the MAJORITY of the player base.

Where's your data to support this?

#22 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 26 April 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

Where's your data to support this?

There were a few dozen people upset about the delay, but in the main it was seen as a good thing. And of the few dozen who were upset their stated reasons were simply "we want change even if it sucks because the game needs change". An argument easily countered by the bad steak analogy someone (you?) posted about why people reject something bad.

#23 AngrySpartan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

View PostRuar, on 26 April 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

An argument easily countered by the bad steak analogy someone (you?) posted about why people reject something bad.

My bad, apparantly I am all about food parallels todayPosted Image

To sum up: change for a sake of change is not an option, especially if that is a change to a wrong and plain bad direction. I'd rather keep eating good'ol (5 years old already) conserves in a form of current skill tree.

I still don't want new skill tree to be shelved as Energy draw was, but if alternative is it's current iteration shelving it doesn't seem to be that bad of a choice. In fact I'll be okay with just an update to existing skills (no/'weight class based' rule of three and Arm Lock replacement) after seeing that mess.

#24 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

View PostKekistanWillRiseAgain, on 26 April 2017 - 01:49 AM, said:

the Skill Maze was a dumpster fire and I knew as soon as they announced it coming back so soon it was still going to be a dumpster fire... its here & yes it is still a dumpster fire that does NOTHING to fix what made it a dumpster fire from the start. The refund part was quite literally the very least important thing that was wrong with it, therefore that is the only PGI focused on and they still made it a confusing mess.

The skill maze is a dumpster fire of lunacy; even Diablo 2 had a better layout than this, and that game is only 17 years old (or more), so I guess I'm expecting too much from PGI.

This silly maze fixes nothing and simply takes one of the few easy to understand - and easy for new players to use - parts of the game that remains and trashes it completely. The current skill system is uninspired and simplistic, but it is the one thing in the game new players could not mess up. Now, even that will be gone as they struggle to make sense of this pointless mess.

In a few weeks after release, the only handful of viable skill builds will be posted, all the "in the know" players will level up their mechs accordingly, and new players, fumbling around, will be even more hosed and out-classed than in the current system. And then a few months later, PGI will upend the skill maze again by adding New Tech nodes and "balancing" it, forcing everyone to spend a fortune respecing. Better buy some premium time!

It's so transparent. There's simply no good reason for the sick attachment to this horrible example of game design unless it's part of some dopey attempt to make money by forcing constant regrinds as the skill maze shifts and changes.

View PostAngrySpartan, on 26 April 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

Imagine you are waiting for a steak in a restaurant for a while (since dec. 3rd when STree was announced), and a waiter finally brings your steak - piece of raw meat spilling with blood, uncooked at all. And then you understand that this meat is also rotten from the inside.

Will you eat it? Hell, no, best case for a restaurant - you'll ask for another steak (I'll leave the worst case for your imagination).

Based upon the fact that the only "work" PGI seems to have done to fix this is find a more interesting way to refund modules, imagine if the restaurant in question "solved" the horrible steak problem by installing a faster refund system for angry customers? Because that's basically the level of skill we're dealing with here when it comes to PGI. Posted Image

Edited by oldradagast, 26 April 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#25 AngrySpartan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:35 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 26 April 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Based upon the fact that the only "work" PGI seems to have done to fix this is find a more interesting way to refund modules, imagine if the restaurant in question "solved" the horrible steak problem by installing a faster refund system for angry customers? Because that's basically the level of skill we're dealing with here when it comes to PGI. Posted Image

Judging by previous PTSs (Energy Draw comes to my mind in particular) that's exactly what PGI does to solve the issues. "Players don't like how ED works? OK, let's throw some random unrelated stuff to PTS to make them forget about it! Who needs changes in our main system, it's a masterpiece!". And than ED was shelved...

I am convinced that wouldn't work in case of skill tree though. Shelving STree equals to admitting PGIs incapacity to do it right. At the same time going live with it is outright suicide.

Edited by AngrySpartan, 27 April 2017 - 12:36 AM.

#26 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:39 AM

View PostAngrySpartan, on 25 April 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

Well, if they'd expected to pacify most of the players by fixing refund policy, they still failed (my initial impression at least). Anyway refund was never the issue for me. Skill tree being unbearable piece of junk is an issue however, and PGI did exactly nothing to fix it.

Being resistant to good ideas is PGI's trademark quality. Implementing good ideas in a way noone likes them is PGIs second feature (yes, I am talking about energy draw). And until Uncle Russ's and Uncle Paul's dilusions did not mess with MWO's fun factor a lot, PGI was able to get away with that.

Skill tree is different, and they have to do it right...even if it will take them another year to fix it. It's not ready at the moment, that's a fact.

All that work on firepower but with 91 nodes I don't have much left for firepower. I'm like if I have 5 nodes left.

#27 AngrySpartan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:58 AM

View PostChound, on 27 April 2017 - 12:39 AM, said:

All that work on firepower but with 91 nodes I don't have much left for firepower. I'm like if I have 5 nodes left.

Firepower or any other tree on their own has nothing to do with the STree problems, I see no points to keep discussings about "cool run is too spread out" or "JJ tree is useless" or etc. That is the core design PGI got stuck with for some reason that turns skill tree into junk.

HExagon abomination, all those 'randomly connected nodes' is a bad design and thus should be replaced by something else. There is no way that piece of poo can be turned into a candy. It was clearly stated during previous PTS with decent alternative solutions suggested.

But hey, who cares when you can just sell Mad Cat MkII mechpacks, right?

Edited by AngrySpartan, 27 April 2017 - 01:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users