My New Reorganized Weapon Tree? Thoughts & Poll!

25 replies to this topic

Poll: Weapon Tree Reorganized? Poll! (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you Like the Reorginized Weapon Tree over the Original?

1. Yes, (37 votes [82.22%])

Percentage of vote: 82.22%

2. No, (8 votes [17.78%])

Percentage of vote: 17.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

currently in the Weapon Skill Tree,
many feel they have to get things they dont need to get what they want,
so im once again bringing um my reorganized Weapon Tree,

Current Weapon Skill Tree,
Posted Imageas many have noted the Weapon Tree is so unorganized its hard to even find all of a single Skill,
let alone get all of the ones you want with out getting many you dont need,

so using PS i took it apart and reorganized the Weapon Tree,
with the Intent on making it easier to follow but still keeping it mostly the same,
Posted Image
this is the reorganized Tree, everything is more open, and easier to work with,
with this i feel many of the Weapon Tree Problems would go away,

i made it so you cant Blindly spec into - Heat Gen,
this is to put abit more cost into them, having to get others to get them,
however taking full Range or cooldown Trees will remedy this as it allows such,

i Also kept the Ammo Quirks to the Bottom,
as your probably ganna max a Tree if you are ganna use them,
so you are already likely to have a Branch down there to access them,

Thoughts, Comments, Concerns?
Thanks,

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 27 April 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#2 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:14 PM

There are still too many nodes(Overall, not just in Firepower, but it's especially egregious in the Firepower tree).

#3 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

You should really title your poll "Do you Like My Reorginized Weapon Tree over the one PGI proposed?"

I almost voted no.

#4 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

View PostKodiakGW, on 25 April 2017 - 09:15 PM, said:

You should really title your poll "Do you Like My Reorginized Weapon Tree over the one PGI proposed?"

I almost voted no.

Same.

And even with the large number of nodes it make sense. The only thing that might help is having the missile nodes and ballistic weapon nodes connected higher up the chain instead of in the middle. Move laser duration down the edge so the missile users can branch into those sooner, and magazine capacity up top to move cooldown to the bottom. The central line should have a branch into a new weapon system at each level and then the outsides and bottom are where the added cost is put in for the higher demand skills.

Ideally they'll use a linear system with higher costs for higher demand skills, but your version makes a lot more sense than what we see on test.

#5 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:26 PM

To be honest the first version's weapon tree before it became a solid mass for all weapon types was the best.

#6 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:33 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 25 April 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

To be honest the first version's weapon tree before it became a solid mass for all weapon types was the best.

The one that heavily enforced boating?

#7 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:35 PM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 25 April 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

The change to having the combined nodes is nice... but if we could just get it in a linear path.

#8 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:40 PM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 25 April 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

I like it more than the other two options, I feel they could have combined a few things, but I find it ridiculous that to get the max cooldown quirks for a mech I have to buy nodes for *every* weapon type when many mechs in the game only have hardpoints for a single type of weapon.

#9 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 25 April 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

I like it more than the other two options, I feel they could have combined a few things, but I find it ridiculous that to get the max cooldown quirks for a mech I have to buy nodes for *every* weapon type when many mechs in the game only have hardpoints for a single type of weapon.

Considering we are talking about a skill tree which boosts your damage output and this game is very damage numbers centric, I perfectly understand the need for the price of these nodes being so high. Otherwise it would be mandatory and not a choice whether or not you wanted to max this skill tree.

Now you can get a good portion just by dipping into the tree and keep up or you can go all in to get a little extra.

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:51 PM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 25 April 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

Considering we are talking about a skill tree which boosts your damage output and this game is very damage numbers centric, I perfectly understand the need for the price of these nodes being so high. Otherwise it would be mandatory and not a choice whether or not you wanted to max this skill tree.

Now you can get a good portion just by dipping into the tree and keep up or you can go all in to get a little extra.

I'm just saying that it is messy. Players don't like having to buy stuff that is useless to them and rightfully so. PGI should come up with a system in which they allow people to easily get what they wanted out of the system, but either make the nodes worth less per node and increase the amount of nodes available so that they are getting only what they wanted but paying dearly for it, or they should increase the defensive upgrades more heavily so that enemies will also be tankier so that the cooldown nodes didn't actually cause a net difference, but do provide more action in the game with higher rates of fire and more tanking of damage, thus giving users a flashier experience.

#11 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 25 April 2017 - 09:51 PM, said:

I'm just saying that it is messy. Players don't like having to buy stuff that is useless to them and rightfully so. PGI should come up with a system in which they allow people to easily get what they wanted out of the system, but either make the nodes worth less per node and increase the amount of nodes available so that they are getting only what they wanted but paying dearly for it, or they should increase the defensive upgrades more heavily so that enemies will also be tankier so that the cooldown nodes didn't actually cause a net difference, but do provide more action in the game with higher rates of fire and more tanking of damage, thus giving users a flashier experience.

I'll give you, it's not very intuitive or easy to use. As a D&D player this does not scare me as much, but I know that is an aquired skill and not you should expect of people in this day and age.
However buffing the defensive upgrades just makes them another mandatory skill tree, once again limited actual customization. Firepower and Defense are the two most difficult trees to get right if they are to remain optional, which they should. Otherwise it'd be no different from the old system.

#12 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:09 PM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 25 April 2017 - 10:02 PM, said:

I'll give you, it's not very intuitive or easy to use. As a D&D player this does not scare me as much, but I know that is an aquired skill and not you should expect of people in this day and age.
However buffing the defensive upgrades just makes them another mandatory skill tree, once again limited actual customization. Firepower and Defense are the two most difficult trees to get right if they are to remain optional, which they should. Otherwise it'd be no different from the old system.

This system is already limiting actual customization by not allowing people to fully specialize in things that they want to buy throwing in nodes that are useless to them in their way.

I am suggesting a system that does not fix that, but just manipulates players into feeling better about what they are actually getting while still keeping them limited to only getting rather limited values. You know... business stuff.

For example, would you rather go down a tree for defense in which you get 10 upgrades to your structure and 10 to armor after the first 10 structure upgrades or go down a tree in which you get 5 armor upgrades, 5 structure upgrades, 5 AMS upgrades on a mech that cannot equip AMS, and 5 fall damage reduction upgrades on a mech with no jump jets? Now what if I told you that the total value of armor and structure you get is the same from either tree? Would you notice in game that you aren't actually getting those upgrades that you deemed useless?

People tend to remember stuff they don't want more vividly, thus I suggest removing the clutter and giving people exactly what they asked for, not throwing in any extras, and increasing the price of what it is they really wanted.

#13 MC Gunner

• PipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 40 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:16 AM

Why Skill Trees ? Go to 80 so you can skill 33% of all but what we want to skill ! 21 ponts for 5 speed tweak ?

sorry bad english.

#14 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

Andi,

Can you redo this with the center line changed to a double line?

Instead of just range running down the middle put range and cooldown. Heat gen on the left running into laser duration. Velocity on the right running into magazine capacity. Then have the last bits of heat gen and cooldown on the bottom.

Then have each of the weapon specific nodes branch off of the center lines. Missile spread in a branch, high explosive on the next branch with missile rack on the tail end of those two branches.

That should keep the costs high on the ones they want high while at the same time avoid picking up unneeded skills for items your mech doesn't have.

#15 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:59 AM

The weapon nodes on every iteration of the "New Skill Tree" have been overly specific. In order to make boating less attractive, you need to be able to increase capabilities of ALL weapons on your mech regardless of type. Anything that gives any kind of bonus to a particular type of weapon will instantly cause players to lean toward mechs with more of the associated hard points, and away from mechs with varied hard points.

#16 Anatidaephobia

• PipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

... I don't like either of the two options, honestly.

#17 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

View PostRuar, on 26 April 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

Andi,

Can you redo this with the center line changed to a double line? .

i tried originally but it just kept coming out weird,

#18 Chuck B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:22 AM

Ya. Yours is better then whats in the PTS so far.

#19 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:22 AM

The concentration of nodes by weapon type is much, much better and eliminates the garbage node problem. It's also much easier on the eyes just by virtue of that open space at the top.

Approve, suggest PGI juggle it to something like this.

#20 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:01 AM

View Postmycroft000, on 25 April 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

There are still too many nodes(Overall, not just in Firepower, but it's especially egregious in the Firepower tree).

Yes, that's what I feel, too.

I would prefer less skill nodes, each with more impact, and "forcing" people to make some harder choices, maybe even explicit either Or choices on occassion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users