St Pts #2 Impressions.

2 replies to this topic

#1 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:40 PM

So far, I have dug around in the Skill Tree and checked out the refund system. I know there is a lot of feedback from those that were promised C-Bills for all their modules that they had on their account. I understand their concerns and sympathize with them. They were told that is what they would get and they want it.

For me, the GSP system works much better than a C-Bill refund would. I do not want to see it changed or removed. I hope that PGI will consider having an event before the patch goes live that allows modules to be sold in game at the full purchase price. This would satisfy those that wanted the C-Bills refunds and also satisfy the many players who are happy with the GSP compensation system.

I am happy with the Skill Tree and the way it works. I do not find it especially cumbersome to use after playing around with it for a few minute. I have Mastered two Mechs so far with the system and assigned 91 SPs to all the ones that I intend to Master when this goes to LIVE. I still have a surplus of GSP that will help me Master my Civil War Mechs that I have pre-ordered. This is great for me because I hate grinding unskilled Mechs.

The two Mechs that I Mastered on PTS perform just as well if not better than on LIVE. I was not able to get every Skill Node that I wanted because of the extra nodes that I had to take to get to them. However, I found the additional enhancements that resulted from those "unwanted" nodes made my Mech perform better overall. I know the min/maxers are not happy about them but I find them far from useless.

I have much more testing to do but I am not feeling any drastic reductions in performance due to the engine decoupling so far. I need to Master my Stormcrow and try that because that is one that I did notice was a lot more sluggish on the last PTS. However, the Stormcrow may be a little bit too agile on LIVE.

I am still concerned about the performance gap between the good Mechs and the Bad Mechs getting even bigger under this Skill Tree due to every Mech getting access to the same number of Skill Nodes and points to put in them.

More testing to come.

#2 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

OK, I have several hours of testing in the Skill Tree now and 11 Mechs currently Mastered. I can now Master a Mech in under 5 minutes yet no two of my Mechs are exactly alike even though I have two sets of duplicate variants.

I still wish there were less nodes and less SPs. I understand and empathize with what PGI is trying to do with the ST. I support their efforts to limit the ability to min/max all the skills and thus make every build pretty much identical except for weapons equipped. I think those goals could still be accomplished with about 1/3 less skill points and nodes. I do not think a linear tree would accomplish this goal without drastically limiting the amount of SP available to the player. Using the "useless" "blocking" skills to raise the cost of desirable nodes works even if is not a elegant solution. I do enjoy the extra benefits that I receive from some of those "useless" nodes.

After testing the 11 Mastered Mechs, I have found that only two of them suffered noticeably from the engine decoupling. The two that I tested that felt more sluggish were the Kodiak KDK-3 and the Stormcrow Lacerator. I did not go "all in" on agility on either one of those builds so I might be able to make them a bit better if I did. Still, they are easy to adapt to and were already strong enough that they are still good despite the changes.

The other noticeable change is the heat efficiency of all the Mechs seems decreased. I have to pay more attention to my heat levels when I play. IMO, this is not necessarily a bad thing because I have long believed that heat needed to be more of a restrictive factor in MWO. I would still like to see incremental degrading of Mech performance as heat increases to max levels put into the game.

Even though the Skill Tree could be more refined and streamlined while still accomplishing the same goals, I think it is important to get it into the game where it can be evaluated in a 12v12 environment so needed changes can be made based on actual gameplay.

In the meantime, I am enjoying experimenting with builds and playing with it for free so that when it does go live I can optimize my Mechs quickly and efficiently.

Edited by Rampage, 28 April 2017 - 10:13 AM.

#3 testhero

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 86 posts
  • LocationOrloff, Dutchy of Orloff

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:53 AM

Rampsge can you please keep up the good work!
Loved your notes on the Kodiak-3 and Stormcrow hero thanks,
These are two mechs most players have some interest of knowing the performance of weather as pilots or foes.
Can you keep the information flowing please.
What are the other mechs you chose to master ?
Can you give us a breif outline of the skill node path you chose?

Do you think that the extra range per % skill node unlocked will maintain the current gap between the clans and IS that currently exists?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users