This. This Is Our Main Problem With The Trees As Is.

78 replies to this topic

#61 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:16 AM

You have to spend that because they are too valuable to let you a la carte with. They want you running closer to equipment baseline and giving up some potential advantage in one spot to gain another one here.

Whether or not they were successful at incentivizing you away from always maximizing those out is another question, but I have no quarrel with the concept.

the problem isnt that the useful skills are spread out. the problem is theyre walled behind useless nodes.

it wouldnt be so bad if they werent useless. but they they are useless.

having to take 5% hill climb is totally useless and ridiculous for example.

if they at least made some of the useless nodes less useless it might be more palatable. 1 skill point for 5% hillclimb is pathetic, no one wants that. but 1 skill point for 10% hillclimb would be an easier pill to swallow.

theyve gotta fix the useless nodes. no skill node should be useless.

#nonodeleftbehind

Edited by Khobai, 28 April 2017 - 12:23 AM.

#62 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:33 AM

View PostKhobai, on 28 April 2017 - 12:16 AM, said:

the problem isnt that the useful skills are spread out. the problem is theyre walled behind useless nodes.

it wouldnt be so bad if they werent useless. but they they are useless.

having to take 5% hill climb is totally useless and ridiculous for example.

if they at least made some of the useless nodes less useless it might be more palatable. 1 skill point for 5% hillclimb is pathetic, no one wants that. but 1 skill point for 10% hillclimb would be an easier pill to swallow.

theyve gotta fix the useless nodes. no skill node should be useless.

#nonodeleftbehind

I don't disagree on any particular front.

If Hill Climb increased the gradient you could traverse without losing speed, that would be a huge boon to just about everybody. Locust can run up walls better, Atlas doesn't get tripped up by tiny rocks and can get out of certain gullies more easily.

Improved Gyro and Speed Retention should be lumped together as one item (logic being that better balance on one good leg means you can move faster with it), and the retained speed should be greater, i.e. legged takes you to 50% of max speed and you can get up to an additional 20% using the module.

Sensor Range and Target Info Gathering would be great if they would implement the 'Mech-specific radar profiles they had during the InfoTech PTS. Possibly essential, even.

JJ tree simply needs more powerful values. Up to 75% heat reduction from jets would be lovely for my MLX and SHC.

Arm pitch and Torso pitch should be bundled. The issue there is that some 'Mechs don't have anything in their arms at all, and being forced to take Arm nodes for 'Mechs without useful arms is the height of silliness.

Reinforced casing is woefully underpowered. So are the Armor nodes, if I'm honest. I'd rather the Armor nodes take a percentage of max possible armor for a component and then add it on top of what's there rather than behaving as a scalar value for what's actually there. Boom, now it's useful. Or...they could go back to the old durability tree with the potent values.

No major gripes with firepower tree, if I'm honest, except that I preferred weapon-type specific trees.

#63 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:40 AM

I think the armor nodes are fine.

armor is much more powerful than internal structure because it stops critical hits

but reinforced casing is incredibly weak. I think reinforced casing should also reduce ammo explosion damage.

the combination of CASE and all reinforced casing skill nodes should make ammo explosion damage almost nothing, if not nothing.

Edited by Khobai, 28 April 2017 - 12:43 AM.

#64 Nutta88

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:23 AM

I'd prefer it is they did have a skill tree with the buff/nerf for all skills

E.g. range increase - have a corresponding heat increase, or even a slider that you could take a range decrease to reduce your heat. Have the costs scale to make maxing it harder to max.

Unmodified mechs (quirked for geometry or hard points) should be competitive and everything else is about play style or just performance tweaking.

With just having buffs from skills; I would like the skill tree to be linear with increasing costs. even just for the UI benefits of being able to click the end of a tree and have it populate, without having to click all the nodes. You could have the extra node costs unlock say requirement skills that kind of make sense... which could be called not necessarily wanted benefits. It would be nice if the "requirements" were related to the skill somehow or have some logic to them.

Having multiple paths in a single tree just means it is a UI click fest...

Edited by Nutta88, 28 April 2017 - 05:24 AM.

#65 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 28 April 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

I am not wrong, I'm just three steps ahead of you. Your concept is based entirely around being able to alter the value-per-node of each ability such that you can get the performance you want for what you think is a fair price in nodes. First, PGI has already told you what they want the value to be (i.e. 100% Radar Deprivation being worth 17 out of 91 nodes). Second, being able to alter that value does not inherently require changing the architecture, you can do that simply by increasing the values on the nodes as they stand.

As for increased customization, no. You've fallen for the illusion of choice. There are certain capabilities that are essential to 'Mech performance (i.e. Cool Run, Heat Containment, Anchor Turn) and they will always get taken first and always to the the maximum value possible before continued investment begins harming performance. You'll continue grabbing nodes down the priority list and the only time those mediocre capabilities will be chosen is when there's nothing more useful to spec, which depends entirely on how generous you are with your value-per-node. Ultimately, most competent 'Mechs will end up looking very similar except for the last 10-20 nodes which will be dependent upon the weapons payload (I do think firepower was better off split into separate weapon families). And do note, there is an upper limit to how powerful a capability can be because the tree, being universal, has to make sure it doesn't become abusive when applied to certain 'Mechs.

Now, whether or not we pick up some extras we would not otherwise go for has zero bearing on whether or not you get cookie-cutter selection. You will get cookie-cutter selection regardless because the nodes in the web and in the linear version just creep power upwards for each one you acquire rather than deviate power toward a particular niche, because killing 'Mechs is the single overriding objective of the game, and because some 'Mechs are inherently flat-out better than others but still have the same tree.

There are plenty of arguments when your "proof" has all of the same high-level deficiencies as the problem to be solved and when your defined successes are such only because you've said so and not because they actually achieve it. I've seen many skill trees in many games and the only one that is remotely appropriate for this game is the one from Heavy Gear 2, not what PGI has constructed and not the piddly reshuffle you are pitching. Those both belong in PvE games, not PvP.

No, you're not. Lol.

Lets see... they can just increase the value of the nodes. Sure, go ahead and tell me how they can increase 100% radar dep to something higher. How much can you crank up the distance on seismic? How much more arm movement is enough to make that node valuable? How much can they turn up sensor range before people are being spotted 1500m away?

The very fact you think they can just increase node value to make something more attractive to select shows how far behind you are in your thinking.

The underlying problem is some skills have inherently more value than other skills. If you can't change the skills to have more value then there has to be other options to making them something a player would use. PGI has chosen to acknowledge these skills are inherently worthless and use them as a tax that is charged on the way to the skills people do want. That's not really customization, it's just a marketing ploy to say "look at all you get for free".

Lets go with the 17 points you stated for radar dep. That's the value PGI places on that skill and will "give" you four other skills on your way to radar dep. Which is an automatic cookie cutter because if radar dep is that important than everyone is going to get it and everyone will have those same four skills. Zero customization because it's all the same.

On the linear system that cost for radar dep is made 15. Then you have those other four skills that were bundled into radar dep sitting all by themselves as one point options. You get radar dep with enough points left to pick two of the skills you want instead of the four the devs decided everyone has to have.

Yes, I'm fully aware there will be min/max builds where those two points are put into some other skill deemed to be the most return for the points. There is no way to avoid min/maxing in any game where the players have any ability to pick their own options. However, there will be plenty of people who don't min/max. They'll use those two skills for whatever they think is most valuable to them. I know this will happen because we still see underpowered and non-meta mechs being played everyday.

The linear system is superior to the web design for everything PGI has stated is the goal of skill tree. The fact you want to deny this statement doesn't change it's truth. The exact design of that linear system can vary, but the key aspects are higher cost for more valuable skills and sufficient points to select less valuable skills to round out a build.

Ideally the tree would be divided by roles and the majority of the points would be spent to fulfill a role with a few points leftover for flair skills. Unfortunately PGI doesn't seem to be interested in developing roles so we work with what they do seem willing to provide.

Here's the difference between us. I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong when you can provide an example or situation where the linear tree isn't better for PGI's stated goals. So far I've only see people try to counter the concept without digging into specifics.

The exception is you pointed to radar dep with the idea it has to stay a fixed 17 points without acknowledging those 17 points actually were for five skills and not just one. As soon as you admit your are paying 17 for five then it's easy to see that radar dep itself costs less but they have to charge something for the other four skills. If those four skills had zero value then they would be automatically provided as a baseline. Since we do have to spend skill points on those skills they do have some value which means radar dep actually costs less than 17 and refutes your conclusion.

#66 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

View PostGabrielSun, on 26 April 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

We've been saying it all along. The problem we have with the trees is clearly outlined with the attached image.

Posted Image

Look at how far these are spread out. Heat containment and Cool Run were the first thing you picked up before... and cheaply. Why do I have to spend 21 pts minimum to get them now? It's ridiculous.

Take all the trees and group similar functions. As is now the skill tree absolutely removes any kind of creative building and makes you shotgun the entire tree to obtain one function you may be looking for.

I call it "Node Taxing." You have to pay a "Node Tax" by sacrificing precious node points on useless skills in order to get stuff that's actually good.

...You know, kind of like income tax! Posted Image

#67 Excalibaard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 April 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

You have to spend that because they are too valuable to let you a la carte with. They want you running closer to equipment baseline and giving up some potential advantage in one spot to gain another one here.

Whether or not they were successful at incentivizing you away from always maximizing those out is another question, but I have no quarrel with the concept.

There are other ways to incentivize this:

Increased skillpoint cost per node in a certain skill.
A linear tree with requirements, so at least all the same stats are in one spot.
Not having **** options like 5% hill climb. whoopdidoo.

The concept, sure. The execution, needs a LOT of work. The 'web of choices' aren't choices, they're chores.

#68 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 April 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

It's not working though, not even in a somewhat viable manner. It hasn't been working in a somewhat viable manner since before December 2015. Before that point, IS and Clan were fairly well balanced. After that point is when PGI inexplicably gave the IS some uber-buffs, and we've been suffering the knee-jerk nerfs ever since.

Thats ********. The game is in an Ok state. I can play smrs, lasers, sniper buidls - all work - you just have to play them well. Yes some things are more easy than others but its not gamebreaking wrong at this moment. After the skill tree i will be cheated out of 800million cbills and can only master 10-20 of 130 mechs....... Thats ******* gamebreaking.

#69 Slambot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

My experience is that larger mechs will get better... specialized mechs will get better... hybrids and mechs that depend on a blend of toughness and mobility will be very hard to run. The meta will remain the meta...Smaller mechs will be much easier to hit due to reduced agility. LRMs will be much easier to run as most people simply will not have the points to invest in much radar derp, whereas a couple seconds of target decay will require only a small investment. As for the rest, it remains to be seen.

View PostCara Carcass, on 28 April 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

Thats ********. The game is in an Ok state. I can play smrs, lasers, sniper buidls - all work - you just have to play them well. Yes some things are more easy than others but its not gamebreaking wrong at this moment. After the skill tree i will be cheated out of 800million cbills and can only master 10-20 of 130 mechs....... Thats ******* gamebreaking.

you will be able to master any mech you currently have mastered without any investment of cbills.... your modules will convert directly into skill points you can spend without a c bill cost

#70 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

Thats ********.

It's not. You can ask any team worth its salt and their answer will closely mirror mine.

The game is in an Ok state. I can play smrs, lasers, sniper buidls - all work - you just have to play them well. Yes some things are more easy than others but its not gamebreaking wrong at this moment. After the skill tree i will be cheated out of 800million cbills and can only master 10-20 of 130 mechs....... Thats ******* gamebreaking.

Well that's the real trick, isn't it? Everything is relative.

#71 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

This is exactly the problem. Every Skill Tree is set up this way. The Skills you always took first are at the bottom of the tree, or deep into the tree. Sometimes this is warranted, but not for every Tree. Some Trees need to have direct paths to primary functions or you need to greatly expand on the 91 active nodes. 91 active nodes is there to block over-bloat, but that means you can't have every tree, the function trees we'll say, forcing players to waste nodes to get to primary functions.

#72 xXJ35T3RXx

• PipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:35 AM

I dunno about that. I logged on to the PTS and after about an hour was able to master the same number of 'mechs under the new system as I had before. I have carpal tunnel from clicking on all the nodes to prove it.

#73 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

View PostRuar, on 27 April 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

That's fair.

Okay... apparently when I was trying to get on the PTS last night, they had ended the PTS session... (which explains the error codes I kept getting).

So... I won't be able to present any case for you at this time. At least not till the next PTS comes up...

#74 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

View PostTesunie, on 29 April 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Okay... apparently when I was trying to get on the PTS last night, they had ended the PTS session... (which explains the error codes I kept getting).

So... I won't be able to present any case for you at this time. At least not till the next PTS comes up...

I'm not sure there is going to be another PTS. The intent of this one was mostly to get feedback on the compensation system with only minor tweaks to the trees themselves. They got that. With the patch hitting on 16 May, there isn't a whole lot of time for them to make any major changes and get it out and anything they can do will likely be so minor as to not warrant another PTS session.

#75 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 29 April 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

I'm not sure there is going to be another PTS. The intent of this one was mostly to get feedback on the compensation system with only minor tweaks to the trees themselves. They got that. With the patch hitting on 16 May, there isn't a whole lot of time for them to make any major changes and get it out and anything they can do will likely be so minor as to not warrant another PTS session.

From the announcement (which didn't seem to have been recognized as a notification for me):
The Skill Tree Public Test Session is now offline pending further tweaks and refinements as we approach its planned release in the May patch.

So... Maybe?

#76 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostTesunie, on 29 April 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

From the announcement (which didn't seem to have been recognized as a notification for me):
The Skill Tree Public Test Session is now offline pending further tweaks and refinements as we approach its planned release in the May patch.

So... Maybe?

I did see that. I will be pleasantly surprised if we get another one. I'm not sure it's worth it at this point if they plan to release in May, but I do enjoy tinkering...especially when it doesn't cost me anything!

#77 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 29 April 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

I did see that. I will be pleasantly surprised if we get another one. I'm not sure it's worth it at this point if they plan to release in May, but I do enjoy tinkering...especially when it doesn't cost me anything!

I got enough of a chance to patch and look, go to work, and then... Nothing. Never actually got to check anything out... Posted Image

#78 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostTesunie, on 29 April 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

I got enough of a chance to patch and look, go to work, and then... Nothing. Never actually got to check anything out... Posted Image

You didn't miss much, the changes to the actual tree had negligible impact from last version and, like any system where you are just allocating points earned into positive-only attributes, there is an optimal path that 90% of 'Mechs should take. Cliff notes is:

Essential:
Agility: Anchor Turn, Kinetic Burst, and Hard Brake all maxed out
Operations: Cool Run and Heat Containment all maxed out; you will pick up all of the Quick Ignition so that's built-in.
Sensors: 3x Radar Deprivation and 1x Seismic
Auxiliary: 2x Coolshot (you'll pick up Enhanced Coolshot on the way)

The rest is Firepower or Survival. Fringe cases, you might skip the Auxiliary and have enough to make it worth going for both firepower and durability. If you are both a 30+ ton Light and using Small-class lasers, skip the Firepower tree and go Survival. Else, skip Survival and go for Firepower. With most heavier 'Mechs, you can get all the firepower you need and still have enough to get some decent Survival buffs. If you primarily focus on solo QP and don't rely on locking weapons, you can even ditch the sensor quirks unless you plan on operating away from the team.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 29 April 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#79 Pz_DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

Agree with TS. To solve this problem I offer:
1)Make sub-branches with increase of effect (for example - sub-branch of "cooling effecensy" with 1st node giving 1%, 2nd node - 2%, 3rd - 3% and so on).
2)To balance direct acsess to sub-branches lower overall points available.

P.S. Hope they fixed that issue in "firepower" tree...

P.P.S. Other way to make branches more direct and balanced - same 1) as above but then limit number of branches we are able to level - for example if you are leveling "weapon range" then you cant level "weapon cool down".

Edited by MGA121285, 29 April 2017 - 01:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users