Mwo Portal Install Problem

9 replies to this topic

#1 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:31 AM

Putting this here in General in case it turns out to be a not-uncommon problem. I have not installed Portal previously -or- the PTS due to scarcity of hard disk space (and the long download time).

Wanting to check out the Refund Ledger, I cleared some old stuff off the disk to make room. The Portal install instructions say the Portal should detect my existing MWO install.

Problem is, this computer originally installed MWO way back in Beta, when I think this was a WinXP or maybe Vista computer, and the MWO directory ended up in the /GAMES folder rather than /Program Files (x86) folder.

Now when I run Portal, select regular MWO and hit Patch, it does not detect my existing MWO installation and wants to run a full 16 gig / 6 hour download and install.

I suppose I could delete the old install and re-install completely, but would prefer not to do that.

Is there any way to force MWO Portal to detect my old install in the /GAMES directory?

Thanks for any advice.

#2 RoughR2

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

I'm facing the same Problem. Since PGI started to push the new Portal I'm looking for a solution.

#3 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

I haven't tried patching but I did install the portal, it detects my mwo install but doesn't seem to detect my test client, that or the portal only allows selection of test while the test server is live. I have it installed so they all share the same parent folder, otherwise did nothing special.

Edited by Trev Firestorm, 27 May 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#4 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

quick solution that may help,
look to see where MWO wants to install it, stop the instilation,
Ctrl +X (Cut) your Piranha/MWO Folder there(the Transfer in this case(assuming same drive) should take 5min)
then start the portal, top left corner of the portal you will see a menu with (Run MWO Repair Tool)
run that it should take 5-10min, after everything should be fine,

#5 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

Can I safely uninstall the old portal/launcher and if so, how?

#6 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

@cazidin,
i think when instaling the portal when it identifies the MWO Cliant it will delete the old Launcher,
i would suggest running the repair tool after as it will clean out your MWO Cache and verify all your files,

#7 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:37 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 27 May 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

@cazidin,
i think when instaling the portal when it identifies the MWO Cliant it will delete the old Launcher,
i would suggest running the repair tool after as it will clean out your MWO Cache and verify all your files,

Still have the old launcher, and can even play from that. I manually deleted the desktop icon.

#8 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

@Andi:
The 'copy folder into the new destination' trick was the first one I tried, still wanted to do a 16.7gig re-install. The second was changing a registry entry that I saw in some older thread, to point to the current install. That didn't work either.

Obviously if I need to I can just set it up to download after I'm done for the day, but not sure what I would need to do to copy my settings etc. over to the new location.

Further, it's just plain common sense that if you are going to force your players to use a new launcher, you should try to get the new one at least to the point where it detects and updates the same version of the game that the current launcher does.

#9 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

View PostTrev Firestorm, on 27 May 2017 - 11:27 AM, said:

I haven't tried patching but I did install the portal, it detects my mwo install but doesn't seem to detect my test client, that or the portal only allows selection of test while the test server is live. I have it installed so they all share the same parent folder, otherwise did nothing special.

The test client aspect is "disabled" when PGI wants it to be disabled (so while it's installed, you can't futz with it anyways). You can still directly uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs (XP) or from Programs and Features (Vista and later).

#10 LOCOCHON ALFA 1

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 05:12 AM

Saludos, también tengo un problema. El ultimo parche dejo sin sonido el juego (MWO), por lo que quería des-instalarlo y nuevamente instalarlo, pero ahora no me deja instalar ni el portal, me quede sin juego. Que hago?

Greetings, I also have a problem. The last patch left the game without sound (MWO), so I wanted to uninstall it and install it again, but now it does not let me install or the portal, I run out of game. What I do?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users