3 replies to this topic

#1 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

So I wanted to get this discussion again, while weight classes has been good at keeping things from returning to the days of RHOD where you would see over half a team be comprised of Victors or Highlanders, I think with duplicate rules, we no longer necessarily need weight classes to do that. I would love to see a return of tonnage limits instead of weight classes. As we see in the Star League, mechs that would never be chosen in a weight class limited league are actually getting chosen because freed up weight becomes a serious consideration. Now of course one of the problems with purely tonnage based limits even with duplicate rules is you will see a natural tendency in drop decs to either be concentrated around mechs of very similar weights with the other option being something that was also seen in RHOD which focused on splitting the difference of your team and having half of your team be very small mechs and and the other half be very large mechs but I still find this to create more interesting drop dec and strat possibilities than with what we see in MRBC.

This is also pretty important when talking about balance since if weight classes is the way forward for comp, then mechs need to be balanced around such (which means mechs at the low end of the weight class need serious compensation).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 10 May 2017 - 02:55 PM.

#2 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

+1 Would love MWO WC to be tonnage, heaps better game play and choice

Edited by live1991, 10 May 2017 - 06:05 PM.

#3 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

Don't care one way or the other.

#4 AdeptusMechanicus

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Drops by weight would be great, and would allow for faster grouping if it said "for faster drop times enter with 230 tons for your lance, and you would start seeing good teams forming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users