Vitric Forge - How To Deal With Wall Snipers?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

Clams have been using an annoying tactic on Votric Forge today: they sent a few (1-3) mechs up on the buildings directly behind the gates, mostly Shadow Cats w/ER-PPC and ACHs.

While the attacking team gathers outside the nuisances on the wall start sniping, receiving only minimal return fire due to ECM and poking from good cover.

When pushing into the doors, the enemies on the wall give away your position to their team and shoot people in the back, so ignoring them is hardly an option.

On the other hand, concentrating on the nuisances and bringing them down will cost a lot of time, especially when they stop poking for a while.

So, what's the best way to deal with such a situation?

On a slightly related note: What IS mechs could be used to duplicate this tactic?

In before Spiders.

#2 J U R A P H

• PipPip
  • Tai-sa
  • Tai-sa
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

Counter? Good question, depending on where they have set up, you could just continue your push, but have two (trusted) players face the peepers and walk backwards. These players are very unlikely to kill the peepers, but it's important to keep their head down where you can. If you have a jj light in your pack, sending one up to join them is pretty great for turning them around.

The big thing to remember is that every ton sitting up on a wall is a ton that you don't have to burn through to get to the gens. This is actually a good thing for you. Once you have taken the omega area, their poptart antics basically fall apart, since you can just sit behind omega and the surrounding buildings and either farm the gens or the re-spawns.

Duplicate? Probably the best option for that would be the BJ-3 with PPC'S, and a few panthers as well. That strategy really isn't all that effective unless they do it with goose-peep night gyrs and huntsmen, to which the only IS analogy for would be one of the marauders, but that tonnage is far better off sitting as part of a firing line instead of popping off at the back.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

I see usually 6 Night Gyr up there to be honest. One team had 6 up there couple nights ago.

But it's easy to counter.

The potatoes all stack the middle - so just roll in right gate, using buildings, torso twisted so not to take rear dmg. Get to the rear Generator and just start burning it down. Make silly clanners pay for stacking high with JJ as Night Gyr/SHC etc simply do not have the DPS to stop it.

Works every time.

#4 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:31 PM

Ignore them. Seriously. Your enemy is now a mech (or more) down in the push. Finish the push then if desired send up someone to finish them if desired, but even then I still think its best to ignore them.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 10 May 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

I see usually 6 Night Gyr up there to be honest. One team had 6 up there couple nights ago.

But it's easy to counter.

The potatoes all stack the middle - so just roll in right gate, using buildings, torso twisted so not to take rear dmg. Get to the rear Generator and just start burning it down. Make silly clanners pay for stacking high with JJ as Night Gyr/SHC etc simply do not have the DPS to stop it.

Works every time.

My opinion is based on 1-2 "snipers". Don't think I could ignore 6 night gyrs.

#5 DevlinCognito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 504 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:31 PM

Send a Light/Medium up there (jump from the edge of the crater and sweep them off or keep them busy while the main push goes in. If one Mech is distracting 1-2 enough to get them out of the fight then you have done your job. Personally I'd recommend a Pixie, but my fetishism for the Prancing One isn't too everyones taste. The Assassin, Griffin, Shadow Hawk or Wolverine would all work well enough. If you don't have any jumpers, stick close to the wall beneath them so it's impossible for them to get shots on you without exposing themselves too much.

As for IS on defence, you can send up most Mechs with jump jets. BJ-3 or Grasshopper are pretty handy for getting up there, though I prefer using my Marauder 5D. If you want to go Old School you can get a Victor up there for PPC and Gauss fun, though it's not recommended.

Play about in the training grounds to find a way up there and see what works.

#6 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

Drop 12 LRM Atlases or LRM King Crabs, get real close (like 150 meters or so) and yell at your teammates in ensure they "hold locks"

Sincerely,
A helpful Clan loyalist

Or you could just do what some of the good pilots above suggest.

#7 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 10 May 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

My opinion is based on 1-2 "snipers". Don't think I could ignore 6 night gyrs.

Ye you can, trust me. Just pump the gens if the teams are that dumb to stack people that heavily. I've seen it happen a couple times now and it's ended in losses. One we were a tad disorganised so I think took till 2nd wave to be over. Other game was over in 5mins.

Much salt from Clan side... But stuff it. You play with dumb tactics and leave gens wide open, blow them apart with a counter tactic.

#8 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:51 PM

No matter which side you push from, stick to the middle wall until you get past the wall of shame, then use the low buildings to move on the gens or spawn. Position so they cant get torso angles on you till you hit that cover.

Then try and spawn camp or gen rush. Theyll come to you.

Alternately, get get some spiders and go wreck the roof.

#9 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

Thank you everyone, great advice.
If you got more tips for vitric forge, please post 'em.

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 10 May 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

Drop 12 LRM Atlases or LRM King Crabs, get real close (like 150 meters or so) and yell at your teammates in ensure they "hold locks"

If playing clam, that would actually work due to no min range on CLRM.

#10 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:30 PM

View PostExilyth, on 11 May 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

Thank you everyone, great advice.
If you got more tips for vitric forge, please post 'em.

If playing clam, that would actually work due to no min range on CLRM.

Trust me...it still wouldn't...lol

#11 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

If you have one guy popping the gens and all the others with guns pointed at the roof it should not be that hard...

Now. *IF* the attackers get their guys on the roof and people are having trouble with them, a sniper can be quite helpful by getting on the high ground between the left and middle defending drop zone. You can shoot at a good chunk of the roof area where they have no cover. You will have cover because there is a vertical piece of rock here you can hide behind.

#12 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

Really depends on the quality of the enemy.
If they have good shots, laugh at them and dunk it.
If not, farm these ******* till the last mech. Posted Image

Edited by Dark Wooki33 IIC, 11 May 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#13 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 10 May 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Ye you can, trust me. Just pump the gens if the teams are that dumb to stack people that heavily. I've seen it happen a couple times now and it's ended in losses. One we were a tad disorganised so I think took till 2nd wave to be over. Other game was over in 5mins.

Much salt from Clan side... But stuff it. You play with dumb tactics and leave gens wide open, blow them apart with a counter tactic.

Yeah, one time we faced a lance of elite comp players who all went up top. They were very good, but they didn't understand FW or that map well enough. We stayed under cover, farmed the crap out of their pugs, and in the end it was their four against our twelve.

#14 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

Given there are only a few location options for them to poke effectively, long range direct fire weapons coupled with advanced targeting was always our solution for dealing with them. Double gauss rifles, multiple AC2s, or ERPPCs will make them think twice about poking. Just make certain the guys dealing with them can actually shoot ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users