#1 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

Hello!

I am looking to buy something new to play with. My favorite mech is the Cicada, fast skirmishing seems to be what I am good at and like playing.

For $35 I can get the Assassin base pack and hero (4 mechs) or
For $35 I can get the Javelin base pack, hero, and reinforcements (6 mechs)

Would you suggest the Assassin or the upcoming Javelin?

Thank you,
Adam

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

The Assassin is known and decent. The Javelin is largely unknown. I'd go Assassin, though I'd suggest reinforcements rather than very meh hero.

#3 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

Well if you like the Cicada and have always wished you had some SRM action and jump jets, then I'd go Assassin - but to be honest, it will be very similar - which may be a good or bad thing, depends on what your goal is.

I love little lights, so I've e taken to the Javelin. It's always a game of compromise when building lights, so you have always o be prepared for that. My JVN-10F is a dead ringer for my CDA-3F(L) but 10 tons lighter.

View PostTercieI, on 12 May 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

The Assassin is known and decent. The Javelin is largely unknown. I'd go Assassin, though I'd suggest reinforcements rather than very meh hero.

Yeah, this ^ ASN-DD doesn't impress me...

Edited by stealthraccoon, 17 May 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#4 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:27 AM

I've really enjoyed both and the new skill tree really helps the Javelin. Only mech I've not tried was the JVN 11B as not keen on its hardpoints so I can't comment there but the others are highly effective. FYI I did start with 91 pts though so I didn't have to go through the levelling process. Theres are very good articles by Gman129 on NGNG for both and the Javelin one includes recommended trees for each setup (no radar but you're a light so can get into cover easily):

www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?board=5.0

That should be it but its blocked for me at work so I can't check. Posted Image

If we're looking at heroes, the DD isn't great at all imo and the Hi There isn't as strong as the 10F variant but isn't that much weaker and carries its energy in the arms. Overall I'd say the Hi There is stronger as a hero.

Edited by Aramuside, 22 May 2017 - 12:33 AM.

#5 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

Thank you, folks!

Well, you talked me into getting both. I really do like the Assassin, like you said it is a lot like the Cicada. I'm having fun with the new load outs.

The Javelin is exciting to pilot, I think this is going to be a really great light after the new Tech comes out.

Thank you again :)

#6 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:08 AM

Both are really great picks, although for my dollar I think the Assassin is the better pack.

The Javelin provides a real competitive 30t mech for IS, however the need has been diminished somewhat by the indirect buff to the Commando with the skill tree- which is now far stronger than it was before. The Javelin is a bit of a one-trick pony (but a good trick). If you don't like SRMs it would be money wasted for the most part.

The Assassin is also excellent, however I think the chassis (if you were to buy a pack) gives more options. The ASN-21 with quad SRM4s is a comprehensively better skirmisher than the Oxide, while the ASN-101 has competitive energy mount locations in the side torsos- it could be built into a dual PPC poptart like the Panther, or run a combination of pulse lasers. ASN-23 fits in between them for a range of capability.

If you were to buy a hero in addition, I actually think DD is the better hero between it and the HT. HT doesn't really add any capability to your mech bay- it's still just a short range SRM-oriented skirmisher and probably not as good as the JVN-10P/10F/11A as you prefer. The DD is hands down a much better ECM carrier than the ASN-27, and the Assassin is the lightest jump-capable ECM carrier (for whatever value that may be). It's not a great mech, but it does give you a tool you wouldn't otherwise have.

#7 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:16 AM

View PostAggravated Assault Mech, on 30 May 2017 - 02:08 AM, said:

Both are really great picks, although for my dollar I think the Assassin is the better pack.

The Javelin provides a real competitive 30t mech for IS, however the need has been diminished somewhat by the indirect buff to the Commando with the skill tree- which is now far stronger than it was before. The Javelin is a bit of a one-trick pony (but a good trick). If you don't like SRMs it would be money wasted for the most part.

The Assassin is also excellent, however I think the chassis (if you were to buy a pack) gives more options. The ASN-21 with quad SRM4s is a comprehensively better skirmisher than the Oxide, while the ASN-101 has competitive energy mount locations in the side torsos- it could be built into a dual PPC poptart like the Panther, or run a combination of pulse lasers. ASN-23 fits in between them for a range of capability.

If you were to buy a hero in addition, I actually think DD is the better hero between it and the HT. HT doesn't really add any capability to your mech bay- it's still just a short range SRM-oriented skirmisher and probably not as good as the JVN-10P/10F/11A as you prefer. The DD is hands down a much better ECM carrier than the ASN-27, and the Assassin is the lightest jump-capable ECM carrier (for whatever value that may be). It's not a great mech, but it does give you a tool you wouldn't otherwise have.

For the IS the SDR-5D holds that honour not the DD, For the Clans the MLX-C. Posted Image

Edited by Aramuside, 30 May 2017 - 03:18 AM.

#8 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

View PostAramuside, on 30 May 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

For the IS the SDR-5D holds that honour not the DD, For the Clans the MLX-C. Posted Image

You're right of course, my mistake.

#9 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

Assassin has good variants and bad variants based on hardpoints.

Every javelin has decent to good hardpoints.

Go javelin.

#10 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:30 AM

Probably the Javelin? 10P with six SRM6s is brutal, the 10F is like a bigger, tankier Locust and the 11A with 7 SPLs is a better, more nimble Firestarter. The Assassin is solid as well. Both are fast XL mechs.

#11 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe Sandhills of NC

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

First off as I have both the javelin set and the assassin set.

With that said I notice that the real problem with a lot of the advice here is that it seems no one noticed that the javelin and the assassin effectively do the same thing. Both jump, can be made to be fast for their weight class and ultimately both are missile oriented, both are for their weight class are exceptionally suited for scouting, hit and run maneuvers and strike tactics. Neither generally is a stand up fighter, though I admit in one of my more insane Javelin builds (10p model) I can apply firepower heavy enough that I've had dire wolves decide to back off and find an easier target. Overall the big difference is that two assassin variants venture into ballistics. For note the ASN-26 has a -30% UAC/5 jamming chance, which is way better than the hero version's comical AC/2 cool down bonus. By comparison the Javelins stay largely in the field of missile weapons with a few energy/missile mixes and two models that are pure energy (10F & 11A). Ultimately getting both does allow someone to get good experience in two weight classes with a minimum of cash involved. Since the mechs perform similarly the learning curve is reduced a bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users