Hero Mech Nerf / Trial,sold, Excess + 'part Skilled' Mech Xp / + Other Q+A's On New Skill Tree

2 replies to this topic

#1 Tekhenu

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:45 PM

First of all I would like to thank everyone at PGI for making MWO. As someone who grew up at a time when Super Mario on the GameBoy and Sonic on the MegaDrive were the bees knees, I feel really very privileged to be able to play this game for free and get my MechWarrior fix. I also wanted to thank them for trying hard to move the game forward and keep it interesting. I feel the changes to the Faction queue system is a huge improvement and the new maps and game modes are interesting.

That being said I have never felt the need to become a forum warrior for any of the games I have ever played until now.
I do not want to start another salty rage thread, I would like to ask some questions and get answers to them.
I have not been able to get on to the test sessions, so have been reading as much of the feedback as possible. However reading many pages of salty rage has not been successful in answering some of my queries.

EDIT: (These answers are to the best of my current knowledge and are probably subject to change)

Query 1)
Pirates Bane vs Timber Wolf Mech / Weapon Module slots.
As an example my PB has 3 weapon module slots, 2 mech module slots and 1 mech / weapon module slot.
The Timber Wolf however has 1 mech module slot, 1 weapon module slot and 1 mech / weapon module slot.
My question is; has this been taken into account in the new skill system, or is the PB (and similar mechs) getting nerfed and the Timber (and similar mechs) getting buffed?
Answer)
It seems mechs which currently have more module slots will be slightly nerfed by the new skill / module system.

Query 2)
Under the new system is all xp you have ever earned converted, or is it just xp you have spent already to unlock / master mechs? (I have a mech with over a million 'spare' XP, will this be lost?)
Query 3)
Do trial mechs you have earned xp on keep that xp so when you buy them in the future you dont have to grind so much?
(I have 50k+ experience on a lot of the trial mechs from when I started but have not bought them yet so will this xp be lost under the new system unlike the current one?)
Query 4)
Example; first mech I bought was a Cheetah. Moved on to other mechs and never bothered to buy 2 more cheetahs as would have just fit them the same and it was good enough without being mastered. It is basic skills unlocked but has 80030 xp on it. Will this xp be lost under the new system? Also to master it under the new system will I have to pay to reach full mastery as it is not currently mastered?
Query 5)
I bought 3 Hellbringers and mastered them all. I have sold 2 of them. Will the xp be lost on them or if I rebuy them would they still be mastered under the new system?
Query 6)
My favorite mech is the Shadow Cat. I have the Champion, which is mastered and it has over a million 'spare' xp. I like to change fits on it a lot. Streaks / PPC sniper / mgs + flamer for lols / SRMs / LRMs / Lazorz / Dakka. Will all this extra xp be transferred over to the new system so I can unlock all nodes for free and still experiment like I can now?
Answers to 2) - 6)
No xp will be lost - it will all be converted to new system xp. However you only get 'free' xp unlocks on the mechs you own upto the amount of skills you have currently unlocked. So a part mastered mech will have any excess xp available but you will have to pay to get the full 91 nodes.

Query 7)
I am still not quite sure if under the new system fully upgrading a type of skill is equal to a fully upgraded module under the old system. For example Streak SRMs get a range of 396m with the fully upgraded weapon module now. Will I be able to get this range on them under the new system after having to take a load of unwanted skills to get what I need to make the Shadow Cat viable / the same as it is now?
Query 8)
Under the new system are mechs like dual gauss Jagermech etc getting buffed? (As they dont need to have any heat management skills)
Answer to 7) + 8)
It is still unclear exactly which skills and module bonuses are increased/decreased by the new system.

Query 9)
Would it not be easier and less confusing to just take all current XP on all mechs (current / sold / trial) and convert it into an omni XP pool, usable on any mech?
Answer)
It seems PGI have some logic behind the new system - but I am still confused as to the need for so many different types of xp.

Query 10)
What is happening to all the supply caches I have already? A lot of them contain the current modules.
Answer)
Have not been able to find an answer to this - but think I may have read that the modules in caches would be replace by a comparable Cbills amount?

Query 11)
Does having 3 variants of mechs still give you some kind of bonus?
Answer)
This does not seem to be the case (apart from multiple amounts of xp for multiples of the same variant?) This is a shame as having to buy and use 3 variants (especially with IS mechs) led to me using different builds / weapons, that I would not normally use. This sometimes meant I found a new and interesting way to play and ended up pleasantly surprised after experimenting. (Now players might as well buy 2/3 of the same variant which they like/is meta)

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can answer any of the above.

Tek.

Edited by Tekhenu, 15 May 2017 - 05:04 AM.

#2 Tekhenu

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:13 AM

Thank you very much Count Jester. Your answers are very helpful. Also thanks for the quick reply.
After reading your explanations I feel less worried now about the new skill tree. I am looking forward to experimenting with it. Also I bought the second Hellbringer with the most spare xp again just so the 'free xp' wont be wasted. (Had lots of c-bills and mech bays from the event)

Tek.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users