#1 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

Indirect fire weapons should not have critical hit chance.. or somehow to only be able to critical hit if the target is in direct line of sight.

Just my thoughts on it... piggy backing off other people sitting in the back doing free unchallenged damage with little or no recourse.. good way to punish new players as well. Walks out of cover.. one mech spots it. 4 lrm boats with 60 point alphas turn into 80 or 90 point alphas then proceed to 2 alpha that person before he even can shoot his lasers or weapons.

If lrms have critical hit chance than clan and is guass rifles need to have the crit chance returned to them to counter a weapon that weighs half as much and does more damage with a lower cool down.. my thoughts on it.

#2 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:00 AM

View PostNatred, on 18 May 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

Indirect fire weapons should not have critical hit chance.. or somehow to only be able to critical hit if the target is in direct line of sight.

Just my thoughts on it... piggy backing off other people sitting in the back doing free unchallenged damage with little or no recourse.. good way to punish new players as well. Walks out of cover.. one mech spots it. 4 lrm boats with 60 point alphas turn into 80 or 90 point alphas then proceed to 2 alpha that person before he even can shoot his lasers or weapons.

If lrms have critical hit chance than clan and is guass rifles need to have the crit chance returned to them to counter a weapon that weighs half as much and does more damage with a lower cool down.. my thoughts on it.

You play in a bracket that shouldn't be seeing much LRM usage or you should've learned by now how to counter LRM,s....

LRM's like any other weapon system have a base line crit change based on the amount of 'rounds' hitting an exposed component. Due to the nature of using many small low damage projectiles that each get a chance to do a critical hit, for a tiny amount of damage each....

I won't go into detail as to why LRM's are bad, but they are a poorly designed weapon system in MWO that requires boating to even be mildly effective and have many hard counters already built into the game....

For example a cLRM/15 may weigh about one third of a cGR (Clan Gauss Rifle), but you require 3 to 4 of them to match the effectiveness of one cGR, due to the cLRM/15's habit of putting on average of only dealing 10 - 12 damage, spread all over the target vs the 15 pin point to one location of the cGR...

#3 Ced Riggs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 825 posts
  • Locationunclear, mech stuck in bay.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

*Critical Hit Damage

Chance is not increased. And Crits do not come into play until armor is stripped.

#4 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:10 AM

Before the patch I was losing weapons with full armor. I know this is possible, but I was losing 2-3 with only yellow armor. Technically not critical hits, but you feel like they are.

#5 - Pestilence -

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

I just don't like the idea that some hiding [censored] have crit chance but my 1st line brawler do not.

#6 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:14 AM

Really? Find some cover, and use it.

Crit chance is never something to build around anyway.

The REAL change is that not everyone has radar dep and ECM is less effective.

Edited by Roughneck45, 18 May 2017 - 08:15 AM.

#7 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 18 May 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

Before the patch I was losing weapons with full armor. I know this is possible, but I was losing 2-3 with only yellow armor. Technically not critical hits, but you feel like they are.

big deal, you overheated your mech and got punished for it. it wasnt your enemy that destroyed your weapons, it was yourself. because thats the only way to lose your equipment while you still have armor.

#8 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:16 AM

This seems redundant since everyone knows, but the armor tree can give you -8% crit chance on being hit.

#9 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:16 AM

View Post- Pestilence -, on 18 May 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

I just don't like the idea that some hiding [censored] have crit chance but my 1st line brawler do not.

No one gained extra crit chance. Only the clan Targeting computer can increase crit chance, that's it... untill the IS get their targeting computers in the tech update...

What came with the skill tree, High Explosive is crit damage increase. How ever it is a trap skill, as it is not worth taking. For it to have a meaningful effect you would need 15-20 missiles to hit the same location and all of them generate a critical hit.... even then you would be better off taking one heavy hard hitting weapon like a Gauss Rifle.

#10 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

View PostCold Darkness, on 18 May 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

big deal, you overheated your mech and got punished for it. it wasnt your enemy that destroyed your weapons, it was yourself. because thats the only way to lose your equipment while you still have armor.

I didn't overheat. Some weapons, notably the Arrow IV, can do damage to systems that are still armored.

#11 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

Eh, LRMs are the only weapon I'd take crit damage on. They lack finishing power since you can freely spread out the damage. SRMs are a good finishing weapon. I'd rather hit structure and just make people go kablooey, and with the spread nodes you can fit a lot more missiles into those weak spots. LRMs you might get 3 or 4 into an unarmored component. Better to just strip off weapons then.

#12 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

you can put srms on your brawler. srms get extra crit chance too. not seeing the issue.

How ever it is a trap skill, as it is not worth taking. For it to have a meaningful effect you would need 15-20 missiles to hit the same location and all of them generate a critical hit.... even then you would be better off taking one heavy hard hitting weapon like a Gauss Rifle.

except critical hits also do 15% more damage to internal structure

so an lrm that gets a x1 crit is doing 1.15 damage to internal structure instead of 1 damage (and 1.3 damage for a x2 crit and 1.45 damage for a x3 crit)

high explosive increases crit damage by a further 15%. so instead of 1.15 damage its 1.3 damage for a x1 crit.

its definitely not a trap skill, it helps chew through the extra internal structure that mechs now have

the trap skill is missile spread no high explosive. 5% missile spread is useless.

Edited by Khobai, 18 May 2017 - 08:35 AM.

#13 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

By all means dont let the lurmers have any buffs at all if slight. Cry over them being noob tubes even when other pilots call them weak and too situational.

Its very annoying to be hit with lrm fire ( and yes ppc and gauss to, however easier to dodge) but then again its about how to counter it. There are so many counters in comparison to other weapons, its not even funny. Cover, closing in/ brawl em, ecm.

I do agree however, that lurm boats hiding in the rear without cqc/ backup weapons, tag and/ or narc AND nagging for "plz give lock" firing from 900-1000+ m isnt optimal or call forth teamplay.

I find lurm boats very useful in second line attacks, where pinpoint weapons cant hit, lurmers can support you. Annoying and harassing the enemies to you clse in for some wrecking. In that regard I appreciate LRM and missile weapons in general to have crit chances hightened. At least make them a bit more useful.

#14 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

Last night there were many instances where I had incoming LRMs and was able to get to cover so no problem.

The one time I did get caught out in the open with nowhere to run..... Brutal.

Working as intended/hoped? Sure!

#15 Trev Firestorm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 18 May 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

I didn't overheat. Some weapons, notably the Arrow IV, can do damage to systems that are still armored.

A weapon not even in the game? We're talking about MWO here you know.

#16 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:28 AM

AMS has been improved and AMS overload is easily available (and most often skipped) on the ST. Reinforced casing reduces the chances of critical hits. LRMs lost range. You should not be any worse off than before the ST and if LRM crits are really a problem for you then you have more and improved ways to combat them.

#17 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:30 AM

Oh yeah, I am using my Mad Dog with full LRM buffs and LRM45, BAP, TAG. It's a little better, but nothing great. Still terrible in direct fire battles. Now if I had 360 torso twist things might be different, but once in range of direct fire weapons there is no threat from LRMs.

I think the reason you see a lot of LRMs now is players want to see if their old LRM mechs can be resurrected. Well they can't so the LRMers will fade soon, but you might see more use of LRMs as a secondary weapon.

View PostTrev Firestorm, on 18 May 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

A weapon not even in the game? We're talking about MWO here you know.

Arrow IV is not the only weapon that can damage weapons through armor. I don't know how PGI is using the ability though, on what weapons I mean.

#18 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

I've piloted so long without radar deprivation before the patch that I don't see a change. The folks feeling it the most are the ones that used it for so long that they depended on it.

Either invest in the tree or learn to use cover better, because I doubt LRMs are going to change much.

#19 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:33 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 18 May 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

Arrow IV is not the only weapon that can damage weapons through armor. I don't know how PGI is using the ability though, on what weapons I mean.

There is no Arrow IV in game.... they have artillery (from the way it works it should be a sniper or long tom artillery battery) and Air Strike consumables....

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:37 AM

I dont recall Arrow IV ever being able to pierce armor

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users