Erppc Tips Needed

13 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

Besides "Git gud" what should i be working on? I swear if i hit one shot in 3 i am doing well. I miss high, left, right, low.. you name it.. And a fast mover at range.. i might as well not even bother trying. I can do pretty well with ballistics and lasers, but these bloody PPC's are just not working for me.

I don't think it is a frame rate thing, even my dips are fairly decent. Maybe i just need more learning time? I rarely have used um in all the years i've played. Even at my hit rate, most of my matches are 300+ some though rare i'll get 500-600+ and actually have a decent match. But man i am up and down with these things.

Do i just need to play this mech for 200 drops and "git gud" or what? Bloody weapon is grinding my gears big time!

#2 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

HA, ...so I'm not the only one.....

It is a "git gud", lol. Practice at the Academy where you have moving targets that are not shooting back at you. And practice at the training grounds shooting while running.

Beyond that, if you want to improve, use it a lot. Make it a main weapon for a while. I do not know if any quirks are left but it is easier to shoot "one" ER PPC than a normal one and one with pluses as far as velocity.

I suck at shooting, I practiced a lot.

I've always thought that people that can shoot flying birds with a shotgun could use an ER PPC well. And now I realize I do not know anyone like that anymore...I'm old.....

#3 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

Investing into velocity skill nodes can help.

Mounting in an Arm vs. in a Torso can make a difference.

Other than that, start by leading a target about 1 to 2 mech lengths, then try and adjust for speed, distance and lag.

#4 testhero

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 86 posts
  • LocationOrloff, Dutchy of Orloff

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

For shots over medium range you need ERPPC quirks to reliably hit targets. Aexilyth says arm mounting will let you lead a target more easily. (and improve lock on time)
Rather than shooting at crossing targets try to maneuver so your target has low delta V. Targets coming straight at or away from you are sitting targets.
You can also experiment with advanced zoom.
Improving target information time will also let you chose damaged mechs to shoot to make the hits you get in count for more damage.

#5 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

Erppcs are a brawlin' weapon. It's why they don't have a minimum range like normal PPCs. It does take a while to figure the lead you need, and of course, the problem with leading targets, is sometimes those targets don't move like expected.

So I say, get up close an personal an don't give 'em a chance to dodge.

~Leone.

#6 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

Arm mounts are actually better for PPCs since they let you track a target better - you don't need to wait for torso pitch, and if you have lower arm actuators, you don't have to wait for torso yaw either.

As for hitting a target at a distance, it comes down to experience when you want to land accurate snap-shots. However, when you're just starting out, it helps to put your reticule on the target first to check distance, and then calculate how much lead you need to give on the target, assuming constant velocity. ERPPCs travel at 1400m/s in a straight line (no ballistic drop; this is a myth!), so at most engagement ranges it'll be only about 0.5-0.8s lead.

Edited by Fox With A Shotgun, 19 May 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:33 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 19 May 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

Besides "Git gud" what should i be working on? I swear if i hit one shot in 3 i am doing well. I miss high, left, right, low.. you name it.. And a fast mover at range.. i might as well not even bother trying. I can do pretty well with ballistics and lasers, but these bloody PPC's are just not working for me.

I don't think it is a frame rate thing, even my dips are fairly decent. Maybe i just need more learning time? I rarely have used um in all the years i've played. Even at my hit rate, most of my matches are 300+ some though rare i'll get 500-600+ and actually have a decent match. But man i am up and down with these things.

Do i just need to play this mech for 200 drops and "git gud" or what? Bloody weapon is grinding my gears big time!

Combine ome backup weaponry.

And its evolution...

More so the second video if you're short on time. Also I nail a light with twin PPCs for an insta-kill and make several hits. You might note I use a "TAG" to help with my aiming.

#8 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

Heh, yea i was thinking it would be a lL2aim thing :P I

I've been playing my Nova, and i love the build and it runs pretty cool anyway, maybe i should just swap the LT/RT and add a pair of ML's But man i was really liking the armor buffs on those prime torso. this thing tanks like a champ with structure!

The funny thing was yesterday i swear i just got worse as the day went on. Started out getting 300-500 on a good match, by the end i was lucky to break 300. Maybe i just got tired..

So what about some tips on a few mechs that work well with ERPPC and some back up weapons? (talking clan side)

#9 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

Honestly as someone that has their PPC family accuracy floating around 70%, just spend time practicing. If you have the skill to read your targets movements to be able to predict what they will do... People are creatures of habit after all., It will be faster to pick up the skill for PPC's, but learning to be good with them is a skill that can be learned.

#10 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

PPC/ERPPC goodness comes from practising until you puke.
Then you go on and practise even more so that you make others puke :)

P.s: I´ve started with JR-7F´s in CB ;)

Gambatte kudasai !

#11 YoungBob10025

Rookie

• The Pest
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Takes lots of practice and just game play to get better is all I can say.. Try to fire just ahead of your target if hes moving as it does have a speed that it travels with and just takes practice to use.. I hope that helps

#12 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

Go to the training academy with your prefered ERPPC mech, set yourself to only fire one at a time (so you can fire more often without hitting heat cap), go on over to the shooting range where the mechs move in a line and start at level one difficulty, move up to the next level once you reach 100% accuracy, repeat until you can hit extreme distance with 100% accuracy and you've become super powerful ERPPC master.

#13 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

Learn your travel time, learn to gauge enemy speed, check your rangefinder. Most people run in straight lines so it's simple geometry once you have a feel for those things.

#14 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 19 May 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

It's about the aiming and the exposure time when firing. With the high heat and relatively long cooldown of ERPPC's, you need to find your target quickly, line it up, make the shot, and get back to cover without taking fire in return. If you get into the open and have to go toe to toe with someone, you're going to lose to almost any other build. This is all by design, of course. PPC's are hit and run-type weapons.

So, the combination of skills you need fall squarely in the "git gud" camp. However, one easy place to look for quick improvement is mouse sensitivity. If you find yourself over-correcting on your aim, lower your mouse's native dpi, sensitivity settings in game, or both. Most people I know who use Gauss/peeps have an effective DPI of 250 or less.

Effective dpi is the multiple of your mouse's native dpi setting and the in-game mouse sensitivity. For example, I run my setup at 2000 dpi on my mouse and the in-game sensitivity to 0.1 (the minimum) for an effective dpi of 200. I get good results.

Also, set your in-game acceleration to the minimum to help your aim as well.

If you've done all this and are getting a decent frame rate (i.e. >40), then it's time to hit the training grounds and practice finding targets quickly and hitting them from long range (i.e. 600+m). Do it at a full run and/or in a poptart for an added degree of difficulty.

Once your aim is good, it's more about putting out damage while avoiding it return. Positioning, use of cover, etc. Good luck.

Edited by Khereg, 25 May 2017 - 11:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users