Radar Deprivation And Ams Still Work. No Change There. Please Remember To Cite This Fact.

106 replies to this topic

#61 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:14 PM

Friends don't let AI robot friends stand out in the rain.

#62 James The Fox Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

View PostMagnus Santini, on 21 May 2017 - 10:14 PM, said:

Friends don't let AI robot friends stand out in the rain.

My dad always told me to bring an umbrella when there was a chance for rain. :D

#63 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:31 PM

View PostUltimax, on 21 May 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

Or I could just like, use cover - play smart and out trade the LRM mechs?

The day you see 12 mechs on your team all sporting AMS in the solo queue will be when hell freezes over.

OK, so this is basic tactics that escapes most people - but when you have a bunch of ranged mechs on a team and you are making mid to long range trades - if you are all in range of each other's AMS you are too close and are susceptible to the enemy team getting flank positions on you or just getting brawl rushed.

I know the solo queue is a constant huddle where everyone holds hands for safety, but that's not actually the best way to play for mid/long range.

How dare you speak sense in Gen Disc...

Stop this nonsense and speak in a manner the T5's can understand plz.

#64 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:07 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 20 May 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

Moaning about long range missiles being too strong when you do not have an anti-missile system is the same as complaining about the president when you didn't vote. It means you have no right to participate in this discussion.

People who didn't vote still have rights lol wtf? I am sure a number of non voting felons would have something to say there specifically, but even if someone chose not to vote how does that remove their right to speech at all?

I mean besides the fact that voting is mostly anonymous, and you wouldn't be able to know such information without first asking them or breaching their privacy, it seems a kind of moot distinction.

#65 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:39 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 22 May 2017 - 12:07 AM, said:

People who didn't vote still have rights lol wtf? I am sure a number of non voting felons would have something to say there specifically, but even if someone chose not to vote how does that remove their right to speech at all?

I mean besides the fact that voting is mostly anonymous, and you wouldn't be able to know such information without first asking them or breaching their privacy, it seems a kind of moot distinction.

I think you missed the point.

#66 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:10 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 21 May 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

I have finally narrowed it down to two types of players in MWO. One that is a team player that fully works with the team. The other is a guy that says he's a team player, but is actually a solo glory hound that nominally works well in a team. Posted Image You can tell the former by their W/L ratio for their entire team vs. the guy with the best KDR.

A lot of the people claiming to be team players are just bads; typically both their W/L and K/D ratios are bad.

#67 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:13 AM

View PostZergling, on 22 May 2017 - 01:10 AM, said:

A lot of the people claiming to be team players are just bads; typically both their W/L and K/D ratios are bad.

Funny that you should say that Zergling because I remember dropping against you and we kicked your butt. My KDR and my W/L was actually pretty good before they wiped my stats.

#68 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:15 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 22 May 2017 - 12:39 AM, said:

I think you missed the point.

Not really, I might have gone off topic but within that post he is suggesting people who did not vote have no right to discuss or even speak about politics or the political process.

#69 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:31 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 21 May 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

If you're scout then you don't want to use it because it gives away your position.

But, AMS can be switched to off/passive mode.
What was the keybind again?

#70 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:35 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 22 May 2017 - 01:13 AM, said:

Funny that you should say that Zergling because I remember dropping against you and we kicked your butt. My KDR and my W/L was actually pretty good before they wiped my stats.

When was that? I've only played 8 battles this month, and I won 7 of those.

And why did your stats get wiped anyway?

Edited by Zergling, 22 May 2017 - 01:36 AM.

#71 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:45 AM

View PostZergling, on 22 May 2017 - 01:35 AM, said:

When was that? I've only played 8 battles this month, and I won 7 of those.

And why did your stats get wiped anyway?

About 4 years ago was the last time I've fought you or anyone else that was from CB. Posted Image

I haven't a clue, but look at my join date. That was when I first started playing which was CB. It was September 29, 2012, so you should know that I've been a long time player. If you notice I have the Overlord pack with all the preorder bonuses. ;) I even have the Nvidia Fairy cockpit item as well as Coconut Monkey bobblehead. Posted Image

I just recently came back to the game 2 days ago and I was away for as long as I was due to real life. I'm glad to be back though as I've always enjoyed the community and the game.

Edited by James The Fox Dixon, 22 May 2017 - 01:47 AM.

#72 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:49 AM

View PostExilyth, on 22 May 2017 - 01:31 AM, said:

But, AMS can be switched to off/passive mode.
What was the keybind again?

I don't recall because when I last played I used mechs that didn't require AMS due to either being LRM fire support or a scout. I rarely did the medium brawler thing until the Overlord package came out. Once I got my SHD-2D2, I got really familiar with them, but never messed with turning it on or off. Posted Image

#73 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:56 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 22 May 2017 - 01:45 AM, said:

About 4 years ago was the last time I've fought you or anyone else that was from CB. Posted Image

I haven't a clue, but look at my join date. That was when I first started playing which was CB. It was September 29, 2012, so you should know that I've been a long time player. I just recently came back to the game 2 days ago and I was away for as long as I was due to real life. I'm glad to be back though as I've always enjoyed the community and the game.

Ye gawds, that was a long time ago. I was a pretty terrible player back in CB; before host-state-rewind was implemented, the lag just made it impossible for me to hit anything.
I ended up rage-quitting in frustration, but didn't get a refund of my Founder's pack.

I ended up re-trying the game once or twice, but never stuck with it until I came back in around... October 2014, I think. I played about 6 months before I got too frustrated with the game and quit it again.
I was an average player during that period, with my W/L in solo QP just barely above 1.00.

Then I gave the game another try in September 2016, and although I haven't been playing that much for the last 2 months, I'm still playing.
And this time round, I've managed to improve a fair bit. I'm still far from a great player, but I'm not terrible anymore either.

#74 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:06 AM

View PostZergling, on 22 May 2017 - 01:56 AM, said:

Ye gawds, that was a long time ago. I was a pretty terrible player back in CB; before host-state-rewind was implemented, the lag just made it impossible for me to hit anything.
I ended up rage-quitting in frustration, but didn't get a refund of my Founder's pack.

I ended up re-trying the game once or twice, but never stuck with it until I came back in around... October 2014, I think. I played about 6 months before I got too frustrated with the game and quit it again.
I was an average player during that period, with my W/L in solo QP just barely above 1.00.

Then I gave the game another try in September 2016, and although I haven't been playing that much for the last 2 months, I'm still playing.
And this time round, I've managed to improve a fair bit. I'm still far from a great player, but I'm not terrible anymore either.

Yeah it's been a long time since that happened. Posted Image

HSR was okay and made the game playable. Personally, I'm glad that you didn't get a refund. I wish I had the money to have bought a founder's pack back then, but I'm happy with having the Overlord pack.

Ahh you came back after I was gone for almost a year. I had to quit due to being homeless and having to go into a homeless shelter. I lost everything, including my puter. The upside, I'm no longer homeless and living with my baby sister. The downside, I miss a lot of my old team mates and friends from the game.

When I left, I had a W/L ratio of 90% as drop commander in organized play. My KDR was around 4:1, so I was a really good player. I don't count my PUG matches since it's so random and a lot of the match is out of your hands. You can do really good and still lose the match due to the PUGGies being terribad. It's not a true indication of your skill as either a MW or a drop commander/lance leader. Posted Image

It's good to hear that you've really improved and I'm happy for ya. Posted Image I just need to use a sandblaster to remove all the rust off of my skills. LOL My only drop so far was terribad. I kept hitting T instead of R in my Streak Hawk and I ended up dying fast to focus fire. LOL Yeah, newb mistake, but oh well.

Edited by James The Fox Dixon, 22 May 2017 - 02:12 AM.

#75 Valhallan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 20 May 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

Oh man, Imagine if there was a Magnetic Field equipemenr that weighed 1-2 tons that caused Gauss Slugs to be deflected away from your mech. How would people handle that?! Hahahaha.

GAUSS IS USELESS! YOU RUINED MY GAME!

Wellllll there isn't one for gauss, but the IS does have one for PPC's, Blue Shield Particle Field Dampener 3 tons 1 slot on each area cept head so total of 7, a limited use toggle equip, 60 seconds then it can RNG conk out on you, that halves ppc damage while on. But of course we can't have nice fun things here so similar to alternate AC ammo for IS, alternate missile ammo for both sides, coolant pods (actual 1 ton 1 slot pod and not the bs consumable) or melee, it's missing still Posted Image.

Edited by Valhallan, 22 May 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#76 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

View PostZergling, on 22 May 2017 - 01:56 AM, said:

hehe back when u pokea wide arc just to find where the mechs lagbox actually was then you could fire all weapons into that empty space..

#77 Willothius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 187 posts
  • LocationThe Great Mechbay In The Sky.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:12 AM

Didn't read through teh full thing, but:

How much does 2,5% increase in AMS dmg really do?? Seems like a waste of 2 Skill Points.. Bringing the AMS alone, sure, but trying to pimp it out with minor nmbrs like that? Meh..

#78 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:44 AM

Before the ST I never felt like I needed an AMS. Now I run both radar dep and AMS + overload. Had a match over the weekend where I ran through two tons of AMS ammo.

Just because those two items are still options doesn't change the fact there are more LRMs on the field in general.

View PostWillothius, on 05 June 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

How much does 2,5% increase in AMS dmg really do?? Seems like a waste of 2 Skill Points.. Bringing the AMS alone, sure, but trying to pimp it out with minor nmbrs like that? Meh..

AMS does 10 damage I think and overload gives you 2.5 more damage, so a 25% boost.

#79 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:47 AM

View PostWillothius, on 05 June 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

AMS Overload is very worth it, even for a single AMS.

I run 2xAMS on my BLR-2C and BL-6-KNT with max overload+radar derp60% and LRM's almost never touch my nono squares.

#80 Willothius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 187 posts
  • LocationThe Great Mechbay In The Sky.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

View PostGrimRiver, on 05 June 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

AMS Overload is very worth it, even for a single AMS.
I run 2xAMS on my BLR-2C and BL-6-KNT with max overload+radar derp60% and LRM's almost never touch my nono squares.

That's not an answer though. the question is about the effect of Overload on the actual effectiveness of AMS. Worth it or not?
I'm not questioning the usefullness of actually carrying an AMS.

View PostRuar, on 05 June 2017 - 05:44 AM, said:

AMS does 10 damage I think and overload gives you 2.5 more damage, so a 25% boost.

If those numbers were true, then the investment is without question usefull since 25% is a significant boost for only 2 nodes...
However, in the Mechlab an AMS with Overload active is listed as 105dmg/s (+2.5), which would make the +2,5dmg/s a very meager +2,5% in dmg output.

So let's say a single, unskilled AMS takes out approx 4 of 5 chainfired LRM missiles, then taking out approx 4,1 of 5 missiles isn't gonna make a noticeable difference, let alone save your ***...

===

So, either the numbers presented by PGI in-game are incorrect, or they've once more made clear that math isn't their strongsuit (like with Hill Climb or UAC Jam Chance reduction).

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users