Still Waiting On The Roll Back For The One Change That Truly Killed Balance In This Game!

Balance

41 replies to this topic

#1 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:32 AM

When are we going back to 8 v 8?

Keep FP at 12 (the mode I'll never play unless it grants me 40 million cbills for 20-25 matches)

No really though. When are we going back?

12 v 12 reduced time to kill a mega-blank ton
Made ammo issues worse than they were
FPS issues
(I could keep going, but these were the main issues)

3/3/3/3 was good! Your nerf with tonnages I knew it was basically there to limit the group queue back to 4 mans. I didn't really fight it this time though. Why? My unit and friends already left, I was tired of getting banned, and at the time I wasn't even playing #MWO.

Bring back 8 v 8 and remove the tonnage locks!

#2 The Soul Hunter

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:34 AM

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's probably not going to ever happen.

#3 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:40 AM

I read somewhere that the Competitive Queue they are planning will be 8vs8. Not sure if that is still up to date. Too bad I am not a competitive player.

I definitely preferred 8vs8. It would probably make match-making faster.

#4 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:47 AM

They should probably make some more fun game styles specific to the FW side of things to keep it active. An 8v8 skirmish mode alongside the 4v4 scouting mode would sit well, allow all weight classes to participate in the 8v8 of course though.

IMO, and in the essence of giving new players a break and players testing builds a free run, Quickplay should be mostly unranked, and net you less cash overall for play, and have less tactical options in how they are played (i.e. always a 12 v 12 scenario as it is now).

FW needs more draws, QP should just be for grinding and casual fun.

#5 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:02 AM

I disagree. Smaller number of players places greater emphasis on individual skill, and by "skill" I mean accuracy, reflexes, hand-to-eye coordination - things that many middle-aged players like myself simply lack. In a 12v12 match, you have plenty of opportunities to perform well by being smart and tactical - poking from cover, flanking, focus firing. The smaller the number of players, the more often you'll be forced into head-on duels, and those duels will always be won by "16-year-olds on caffeine" (to whoever coined this phrase first - sorry for stealing it Posted Image). Besides, smaller groups would also severely limit viable mech roles. Look at scouting, for instance. No one ever brings anything but brawlers to scouting, and those who do immediately regret it. In a 12v12 QP match, a sniper can poke at the enemy team all match long, but try brining a 2xERLL Arctic Cheetah to scouting, and see how that works for you Posted Image Or imagine an LRM boat in a 4x4 match. How long will it survive before it gets overrun?

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 20 May 2017 - 02:09 AM.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:03 AM

I agree, 8v8 back in the day was better for me, as I could make more difference. Matchmaking will also benefit as it only have to bundle up 16 players as opposed to 24.

CW can keep 12 vs.12. I want Solo-Q at least to be reverted back to 8v8.

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 20 May 2017 - 02:02 AM, said:

I disagree. Smaller number of players places greater emphasis on individual skill, and by "skill" I mean accuracy, reflexes, hand-to-eye coordination - things that many middle-aged players like myself simply lack. In a 12v12 match, you have plenty of opportunities to perform well by being smart and tactical - poking from cover, flanking, focus firing. The smaller the number of players, the more often you'll be forced into head-on duels, and those duels will always be won by "16-year-olds on caffeine" (to whoever coined this phrase first - sorry for stealing it Posted Image). Besides, smaller groups would also severely limit viable mech roles. Look at scouting, for instance. No one ever brings anything but brawlers to scouting, and those who do immediately regret it. In a 12v12 QP match, a sniper can poke at the enemy team all match long, but try brining a 2xERLL Arctic Cheetah to scouting, and see how that works for you Posted Image

1. Smaller number of players means matchmaking has easier time to group you with similar skilled players, which means you will be facing same middle aged guys more often.

2. 12 v 12 heavily punishes poking, as more guns are aimed at you. The maps are predictable enough due to deathballs frequently formed by 12 mans. 8v8 is far less predictable and supports peeking and poking better.

3. Don't bring 2xERLL Cheetah even in 12v12 game. You are just wasting the mech's potential. 8v8 is far more scout friendly, as less shots will be coming your way, if you get spotted.

Edited by El Bandito, 20 May 2017 - 02:07 AM.

#7 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:23 AM

IIRC back when we had 8v8 people complained about it quite a lot. Mostly that a couple DCs, AFKs, a bad player or two, or a griefer could basically throw the match. Also that 1-2 'poor battle decisions' would decide the match, eg., 2 guys walk around a corner into a firing line and die, that's it, match decided. Although one issue back then (not sure the exact timing) was that groups still dropped in the primary queue and so 2-3-4 mans also had a disproportionate effect on the battle.

#8 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:38 AM

STILL WAITING ON THE ROLL BACK FOR THE ONE CHANGE THAT TRULY KILLED BALANCE IN THIS GAME!

I agree! Roll back to IS only! Remove Clans!

FOR THE INNER SPHERE!!!

[Edit] But honestly, I find the 4v4 in Scouting to be the most fun I have in this game, so a return to 8v8 should be interesting. I didn't play much back in beta so can't tell you if I prefer 8v8 or 12v12 [/Edit]

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 20 May 2017 - 02:41 AM.

#9 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:39 AM

View PostMadBadger, on 20 May 2017 - 02:23 AM, said:

IIRC back when we had 8v8 people complained about it quite a lot. Mostly that a couple DCs, AFKs, a bad player or two, or a griefer could basically throw the match. Also that 1-2 'poor battle decisions' would decide the match, eg., 2 guys walk around a corner into a firing line and die, that's it, match decided. Although one issue back then (not sure the exact timing) was that groups still dropped in the primary queue and so 2-3-4 mans also had a disproportionate effect on the battle.

Groups dropping with solos was more harmful than anything else, back then. Naturally DCs and AFKs will be 1/4 less than that of 12v12.

#10 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:35 AM

View PostImperius, on 19 May 2017 - 12:32 AM, said:

Keep FP at 12 (the mode I'll never play unless it grants me 40 million cbills for 20-25 matches)

FPS issues

3/3/3/3 was good! Your nerf with tonnages I knew it was basically there to limit the group queue back to 4 mans. I didn't really fight it this time though. Why? My unit and friends already left, I was tired of getting banned, and at the time I wasn't even playing #MWO.

I would like 8v8.
I specifically asked for it in a townhall (more or less 1 year ago),....and Russ spitted in my face.....

View PostEl Bandito, on 20 May 2017 - 02:03 AM, said:

I agree, 8v8 back in the day was better for me, as I could make more difference. Matchmaking will also benefit as it only have to bundle up 16 players as opposed to 24.

CW can keep 12 vs.12. I want Solo-Q at least to be reverted back to 8v8.

1. Smaller number of players means matchmaking has easier time to group you with similar skilled players, which means you will be facing same middle aged guys more often.

2. 12 v 12 heavily punishes poking, as more guns are aimed at you. The maps are predictable enough due to deathballs frequently formed by 12 mans. 8v8 is far less predictable and supports peeking and poking better.

3. Don't bring 2xERLL Cheetah even in 12v12 game. You are just wasting the mech's potential. 8v8 is far more scout friendly, as less shots will be coming your way, if you get spotted.

https://mwomercs.com...9-we-need-8vs8/

I would like <3<3

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 20 May 2017 - 04:34 AM.

#11 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:41 AM

Seriously though the group queue needs to just go back to 8 v 8. I'm going to end up playing the ranked queue just to play 8 v 8. If my unit ends up at the top (I doubt it, we put forth little effort in mwo) I'll refuse to participate in the tournament and say sadly I just had to play comp because it's the only place to play 8 v 8.

Not to mention nothing was wrong with 3/3/3/3 now two/three 4 mans will try to sync drop to get the tonnage they deserve and I don't blame them!

#12 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:41 AM

Not going to happen.

#13 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:43 AM

View PostClownwarlord, on 20 May 2017 - 04:41 AM, said:

Not going to happen.

With that attitude, no it won't!

#14 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:57 AM

View PostImperius, on 19 May 2017 - 12:32 AM, said:

FPS issues

We ain't thank god

#15 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:07 AM

View PostKing Alen, on 20 May 2017 - 04:57 AM, said:

We ain't thank god

Ok, what's the benefits to keeping 12 v 12?

#16 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:08 AM

View PostImperius, on 20 May 2017 - 04:43 AM, said:

With that attitude, no it won't!

OK, it should not happen.

Better? :D

#17 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:10 AM

8v8 was a lot more fun.

Hard to say if it was more balanced because there was a lot of broken ****, but it was a lot more fun.

Battles took place all over the maps - even the small maps that were in place then - and there was a lot of 1 v 1, 2 v 1, lights kiting (when they weren't rubberanding), and a far wider array of tactics in matches even without any comms systems.

-- all that being said, I think I'd almost prefer 12v12 with way more maps that are far larger with less minute detail so they ran better fps wise. Make maps and drop points far enough out so that deathballing isn't a thing until late match.

Edited by sycocys, 20 May 2017 - 05:14 AM.

#18 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:10 AM

View PostClownwarlord, on 20 May 2017 - 05:08 AM, said:

OK, it should not happen.

Better? :D

Ok, why not?

#19 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:02 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 20 May 2017 - 04:35 AM, said:

I would like 8v8.
I specifically asked for it in a townhall (more or less 1 year ago),....and Russ spitted in my face.....

https://mwomercs.com...9-we-need-8vs8/

I would like <3<3

I made the proposal back in 2014. ;) https://mwomercs.com...ormance-issues/

#20 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:06 AM

View PostImperius, on 20 May 2017 - 05:10 AM, said:

Ok, why not?

Well, the benefit would be we can read how OP 8 mans are and they can be the new boogeyman vs 12 mans.

That would be some funny reading.

Real benefit for large Units during Events in Group Queue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users