Skeletal Density?

15 replies to this topic

#1 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

Skeletal Density says “Increases your amount of Internal Structure.”

So what exactly does Skeletal Density do for me? Does it make my mech harder to kill? If not what?

Is there somewhere that goes into more detail about what the various modules do?

#2 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

You get x% more structure points. You can see your structure points in the mechlab (loadout) under each component. If you activate the nodes, the number increases.

Edited by Exard3k, 20 May 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

usualy structure equils half the max possible armor for the componant, the head is an exception it gets 15 structure and a maximum of 18 armor regardless of Mech tonage.
Mech quirks can add structure, and the skelital density skill givs (if I remember correctly) 3.5% extra structure hitpoints per node you activate

#4 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

Thanks guys.

#5 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 20 May 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

and the skelital density skill givs (if I remember correctly) 3.5% extra structure hitpoints per node you activate

Values change depending on the weight class. Light Mechs get more % than Assaults. A Kodiak (100t) gets a maximum of +25% while a 35t mech gets a maximum of +39%. Makes it more worth investing in the survival tree as a lighter mech.

Edited by Exard3k, 21 May 2017 - 08:56 AM.

#6 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:14 AM

View PostExard3k, on 21 May 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

Values change depending on the weight class. Light Mechs get more % than Assaults. A Kodiak (100t) gets a maximum of +25% while a 35t mech gets a maximum of +39%. Makes it more worth investing in the survival tree as a lighter mech.

Thanks for the tip! I mostly drive assaults so maybe I can free up some modules to put to better use else where.

If anyone has more tips like this I'd love to hear them or maybe one of you could point me towards where I can read about more stuff like that.

#7 dillsOn

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 60 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

Yes, great job answering many other questions expect the OP's.

Internals are the "2nd stage" of your mech' defenses. Once armor has been destroyed, now internals are getting damaged. This is when you will start to lose weapons/equipment, once Internals are destroyed, the part will be removed from the mech.

Having higher internal values means it will take more hits for the enemy to destroy said part once the armor is gone.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

dillsOn, the OP's questions were answered, then people clarified answers they thaught needed clarification, (as you did, by explaining what structure does which is not what he asked) he specificly asked about the Skeletal Density skill and what the extra structure does which Exard3k and I answered, about 21 hours before your post so what do you mean by

View PostdillsOn, on 21 May 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

Yes, great job answering many other questions expect the OP's.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

Internals are the "2nd stage" of your mech' defenses. Once armor has been destroyed, now internals are getting damaged. This is when you will start to lose weapons/equipment, once Internals are destroyed, the part will be removed from the mech.

To clarify for the OP, Armor is the 1st stage. Until it has been destroyed in a section (arm, leg, right front side torso, left rear side torso) there are no hits on the internal structure, which also includes the Skeletal Density nodes. Once the armor is gone, any further damage hits the internal structural points, depleting them and allowing crits (criticals) to be rolled. If a crit is successful and hits a DHS (double hit sink) receives that crit, then an X-amount of damage is done to that DHS hitpoints. Once the hitpoints are depleted that component is destroyed.

Once all the Structural points have been destroyed in that section, that section is destroyed. Example, destroy all the structural points in a Right Side Torso, that ST is destroyed and the mech also loses the attached right arm. If said mech is an Innersphere mech using an isXL engine, the loss of that ST also flags the mech as destroyed due to PGI silly adherence to the BT boardgame 3 engine crit rules. If it is a STD engine no negative effect to the engine. If it is a Clan mech with a cXL, the loss of one side torso does not kill the mech but it does provide it with a 20% movement penalty and a 40% heat penalty due to the cXL losing 40% of its engine DHS dissipation.

So, Armor Hardening slightly increases the number of additional armor points received per section, based on the number of armor points in that section. Torso section is divided into front and rear.

Skeletal Density slightly increases the number of additional internal structural points received per section. The base internal structural is a set amount per mech tonnage, ie 20-ton, 35-ton, 85-ton etc.

View PostExard3k, on 21 May 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

Below is an example of the max differences between a 20-ton and 100-ton mech. Changing the amount of armor per section will change the amount received from the Armor Hardening node.

Each Skeletal node percentage is higher than each Armor node (yes, base armor is 2x of base structural, minus head), but most important the percentages differ per mech tonnage, which is not reflected in any of the current tree planners and may give a false expectation of return for Armor Structure aka Survival tree section.

20-ton..Skeletal 4.1% per node w/max 41% // Armor 2.6% per node w/max 26%

Example Locust CT Armor 20/4 pts & Structural 12 pts

max Armor/Survival nodes.. Armor +5/1 Skeletal +5

Remove 1 Skeletal node.. Skeletal +5

Remove 2 Skeletal nodes..Skeletal +4

Remove 1 Armor node..Armor +4/0 (notice the loss of 2 armor pts, 1pt from front and back!!)

Remove total 2 armor nodes... Armor +4/0

Remove total 3 armor nodes... Armor +3/0

100-ton..Skeletal 2.5% per node w/max 25% // Armor 1.0% per node w/max 10%

example - Kodiak CT Armor 120/4 pts & Structural 62 pts

max Armor/survival nodes.. Armor +12/0 Skeletal +16

Remove 1 Skeletal node..Skeletal +14 (loss of 2pts)

Remove 2 Skeletal nodes.. Skeletal +12

Remove 3 Skeletal nodes.. Skeletal +11

Remove 1 Armor node... Armor +10 (loss of 2pts)

Remove 2 Armor nodes... Armor +9

Remove 3 Armor nodes... Armor +8

And the other thing between the Armor and Skeletal nodes is that the Skeletal is calculated on the pts per section, and while the Armor nodes is per section, more importantly the Front is separate from the Back Torso sections. If it is possible to get that one more point of front armor increase the back armor has to be reduced to a few points or zero points.

Lastly, the in-game Skill tree should have a smaller sub-menu to show the modifications, a condensed section, showing the addition to the armor/skeletal to start with, followed by and current set of weapons equipped which can be highlighted to show the additional weapon range/cooldown effects without having to switch back to the Mechlab itself.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 21 May 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#10 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:20 PM

Little tip: Look for mechs that come with structure quirks stock. The percentage boost with skeletal density applies to the quirked structure as well. In the case of the BLR-2C, you can get the CT structure up to whopping 106(!), which is only 5 fewer than than a max structured Atlas-S. This is one reason why the BLR-2C and Grasshopper-5P are so often used in FW-- these mechs were hard to kill even before the skilltree. Now they're just laser-vomiting gods.

Edited by Kubernetes, 21 May 2017 - 11:21 PM.

#11 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:12 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 21 May 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

Little tip: Look for mechs that come with structure quirks stock. The percentage boost with skeletal density applies to the quirked structure as well. In the case of the BLR-2C, you can get the CT structure up to whopping 106(!), which is only 5 fewer than than a max structured Atlas-S. This is one reason why the BLR-2C and Grasshopper-5P are so often used in FW-- these mechs were hard to kill even before the skilltree. Now they're just laser-vomiting gods.

I looked up my Supernova Boiler Quirks and it is not shown, does that mean it has no quirks?

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:19 AM

View PostLMP, on 22 May 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

I looked up my Supernova Boiler Quirks and it is not shown, does that mean it has no quirks?

I just looked up the Boiler's quirks on Smurfy, it has extra structure 10 points each on all torsos and legs, 8 points each on arms, those are the only quirks

edit: I assumned the Boiler and SVN-B were the same Mech, I was wrong

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 22 May 2017 - 05:59 AM.

#13 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:34 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 22 May 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

I just looked up the Boiler's quirks on Smurfy, it has extra structure 10 points each on all torsos and legs, 8 points each on arms, those are the only quirks

So does it get the same quirks as the SNV-B?

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:50 AM

View PostLMP, on 22 May 2017 - 05:34 AM, said:

So does it get the same quirks as the SNV-B?

It is the SNV-B

edit:
I was wrong, the SVN-B is a diferant Mech, sorry, I cannot see quirks for the boiler and nether patch notes or the countdown to supernova show any information about quirks, it is not yet avainable in the store so I cannot check ingame.

to find out what (if any) quirks it has login to the game, and expand the Mech details, Mech quirks screen in the Mechlab.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 22 May 2017 - 06:04 AM.

#15 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:58 AM

View PostLMP, on 22 May 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

Correct. Since Supernova is available for MC, you can look that stuff up on ingame store. Boiler ,-A and -C have no quirks(nowadays called enhancments), -1, -2 and -B have some quirks.

Smurfy lists quirks only on the separate quirks list, it won't show or display correctly them on individual loadout..

And no, supernova Boiler is -BN. -B is different.

#16 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 21 May 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

Yep. Or mechs like a MDD - Also have structure quirks. You can get a nice ~15 points of structure per component which is a good investment.

IMO currently, only chase armour or structure on the mechs quirked for it, otherwise spend the points elsewhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users