- - - - -

Heavy/assault Gameplay Boring And Stale

12 replies to this topic

#1 SouIbIight

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:51 AM

clarification: support mechs are not part of this little rant

Because every time it plays out the same way for these classes: form a giant wrecking ball at a specific point and then its "hug an object and 'peek - a- boom' gameplay".oder hide behind a ridgeline

For the next minutes my team tries to soften up the enemy forces. There is just no dynamic gameplay involved. This whole ordeal of sniping and house hugging is plain boring.

The end of the story is, when my team was better at sniping we rush in and finish the job. Or we ge get rushed. So the core gameplay - and i speak as a new player here - seems to be to snipe at stuff.

I mean, is that really all? Why not try flanking with some heavies?

Edited by SouIbIight, 21 May 2017 - 03:57 AM.

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:28 AM

View PostSouIbIight, on 21 May 2017 - 03:51 AM, said:

[...]
I mean, is that really all? Why not try flanking with some heavies?

Because you're unorganized in QP.
Join a Group/Unit and make some taktiks and coordinated loadouts and what you describe may change.

#3 MrHail

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:47 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 21 May 2017 - 04:28 AM, said:

Join a Group/Unit and make some taktiks and coordinated loadouts and what you describe may change.

This! It's 100% true. If you try some fancy stuff and actually call what you want everybody to do half the team doesn't give a crap what your great tactic is and does whatever they want.

In the worst case you have a few that listen and they get killed easily because the rest of the team doesn't care and they call you names after the fact for telling them what they should do.

The most you can do is call out what the enemy is doing if you see it and MAYBE your team will react to it in some way. That is all you can do in QP imo.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:09 AM

in quick play if you speek up early with a plan you have about a 50% chance enough of the team will listen and play along for it to work.

if you want to try advanced tactics (anything except deathball and wait for the enemy to come, or 1-2 Mechs at a time suiciding into an enemy firing line) you need comunication and coordination, unfortunately people are often not willing to do so in quick play, and many people seem to disable comms, so your best chance for this sort of play is group queue, or maybe faction play.

#5 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:25 AM

If you want a more dynamic fight get on comms. or use the commanders screen to issue orders. A simple order to flank right can work wonders when the try-hards have dug in because, I assure you, you're not the only one who wants to do more than just alpha. Not everyone will listen and the chances are you'll lose more than you win (and the meta-try-hards will blame you) but don't take it to heart, at the end of the day you're doing something different and the meta crowd hate that; just look at all the skill tree hate atm.

#6 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:46 AM

You just need to be more careful than before with assault, rambo no more for Kodiaks, just play together...

My atlas d is a brick now, but a freaking hard brick that can take over 220 pts of damage in ct... just let the squirrel pass and shoot were it count.

Didn't see big difference in agility with heavies...my marauder is tankier than before, my quickdraw still swift and fast and my mecha cooler than before.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 21 May 2017 - 06:03 PM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:00 AM

I call it fire support because that's my role. The primary assault is a tanker, the two heavies are direct fire and the final assault is missiles.

As an assault.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

@Op I beg to differ.

I believe in flanking, as a tactic and brawling as a playstyle.

Perhaps CW would be more your style?

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 21 May 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#9 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

ok.

spontaneous emergent tactical gameplay is made possible by the game, but depends on the player. Because it is spontaneous and emergent, it is impossible to require.

In short, entropy rules all.

#10 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 21 May 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

...and many people seem to disable comms...

A stupid thing to do.

"Hey lets go play a team-based game and completely remove my ability to actually coordinate with my team!"

#11 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 21 May 2017 - 04:28 AM, said:

I enjoy playing assault and heavy mechs. Medium can be fun or meh (too little firepower, too much squish = your ability to win the game is limited); light mechs don't exist for me at all. And I very rarely enjoyed group play. You don't often see 11-1 or 12-0 matches in QP; in group play, it happens all the time (for obvious reasons).

View PostKoniving, on 21 May 2017 - 06:00 AM, said:

As an assault.

Hat's off to you (again). Is there any topic Kon does not have a video on? :)

Edited by DavidStarr, 22 May 2017 - 08:26 AM.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

View PostWence the Wanderer, on 22 May 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

A stupid thing to do.

"Hey lets go play a team-based game and completely remove my ability to actually coordinate with my team!"

agreed, to a point.
I have muted quite a few people who kept swearing, ranting, insulting or just trying to have a irrelevent to the match conversation in team chat, but if you find someone like that just mute them and if you think the situation and/or comments it warrents it report them.
to mute someone hold down tab to bring up the player list and just click on the speeker icon next to their name, or to perminantly mute them and never see/hear their comunitactions in future games click ignore

#13 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:33 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 22 May 2017 - 08:26 AM, said:

agreed, to a point.
I have muted quite a few people...

Yes, but there are a lot of vocal people in the forum, who love to brag about having simply disabled it entirely.

Which is stupid (and ironic(?) given their vocalness in the forum)

View PostDavidStarr, on 22 May 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

Hat's off to you (again). Is there any topic Kon does not have a video on? Posted Image

How not to blame PGI for everything (teasing here Kon)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users