4 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

Pre skill tree release, the Spider 5K had the following chassis quirks:

50% Energy Cooldown (62% with Cooldown module)
25% Laser Duration

Post skill tree release, the Spider 5K has the following potential:

20% Energy Cooldown
10% Laser Duration

If you sink 32 points in to the weapon skill tree you can tack on:

12% Cooldown
15% Laser Duration

So, you're going from:
62% to 32% Energy Cooldown
25% to 25% Laser Duration

So investing 1/3 of your skill points to max out the weapon tree doesn't bring you back to close to where you were pre skill tree in terms of cooldown.

Was the Spider OP? Were spiders running around dominating matches a problem? I don't think they were. The Spider was an awesome fun and very challenging mech that if piloted well could be a decent team asset. Now it is seriously underpowered and almost useless.

I can understand wanting to nerf that juicy energy cooldown slightly, but seriously, halfway? C'mon. Maybe pump it back up so you can get the cooldown to the 50% range and Spiders will be fun and useful again.

Edited by ShooterMcGavin80, 24 May 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#2 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

50% cooldown quirk was ridiculous even for one energy hardpoint. It needed to be lowered anyway regardless of the skill tree change.

#3 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

I would say it "needed" to be lowered if Spiders were imbalancing light gameplay or dominating light gameplay. I don't think Spiders ever were that kind of threat. Were they? My experience is limited to quick play.

The Spider 5K was a fun niche mech that offered another interesting flavor for lights. Now it is pretty ineffective. I'm not sure what cooldown it needs to be an actually usable mech again, I would say 35% base chasis quirk, max-able to 47% with the skill tree buy-in. Maybe.

#4 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:09 PM

If i take my Spider 5k = 2 kills secured if i don't do a stupid error like stopping in front of a direwolf at 100m, it was like that before the skill tree, it's like that after the skill tree. Still fun, yeah laser shoot less (mine is lrgpulse) but you're still a pain in the *** to shoot down and you move like a moskito waiting to bite where it hurt.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 24 May 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#5 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 24 May 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

If i take my Spider 5k = 2 kills secured if i don't do a stupid error like stopping in front of a direwolf at 100m, it was like that before the skill tree, it's like that after the skill tree. Still fun, yeah laser shoot less (mine is lrgpulse) but you're still a pain in the *** to shoot down and you move like a moskito waiting to bite where it hurt.

My experience in the 5K so far has been more like 100-200 damage, no kills secured. Pre-nerf I could comfortably take it out and get 300 damage and be a reliable team asset, and would have the occasional game where I could pull into the 500-600 damage range with a couple kills. I'm not saying I'm a hot shot with it or Tier 1 level, but I also just played quickplay for three hours this morning and didn't see a single Spider 5K. 5D and Anansi you still see occasionally, but also rare. They're not pulling huge numbers either, but they never were before.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users