Games Like Mwo...

28 replies to this topic

#1 The Zen Crane

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

Greetings fellow Mechwarriors!

I have a great time playing MWO, but sometimes you just need a break and want to mix it up a bit. I was trying to think of other games (single or multi-player) that were even remotely like MWO and was struggling a bit. All I could think of was maybe some space games...

Any thoughts of what to play when my Unit isn't on or get frustrated getting headshot again with dual Gauss. :-)

Thanks for your help!

#2 Cub

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:55 AM

Sure, here are a few:

A more fast paced mecha game but not very well received:
http://store.steampo.../271290/HAWKEN/

A shooter with mech elements. Unfortunately, it is run by Origin and EA, however, it gets good reviews and has what is reported as an excellent single player campaign:
https://www.ea.com/g...all/titanfall-2

Mechanized suits and a shooter type as well:
http://store.steampo...ht_Retribution/

If imagination and building is your thing, this may be of interest:
http://store.steampo...1520/Robocraft/

Three of those four are free to play, so no harm in trying them out. Ultimately, MWO does still stand on it's own in it's unique experience. Hope you find this info useful. Also, the Battletech Game Beta is just around the corner :) https://community.ba...ms/threads/6549

#3 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostCub, on 25 May 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

If imagination and building is your thing, this may be of interest:
http://store.steampo...1520/Robocraft/

ah robotcrft i used to play and enjoyed building fighting vehicle/aircraft and try them out in games. i quitted after the base capturing and AI robot? because that implementation made alot bugs with the game and couldnt handle it but it seems those things gonne might pick it up again. One thing that bother me though that it still has the early acces tag on it though. it probably far from early acces anymore after 2 year but game keeping it to keep the excuse anything wrong stil works in progress Posted Image .

Edit: how the grind btw i think that was one of the downside of the game.
Edit2 : wait they removed tier system and put in CPU system? does it still seperate low blocks/weapon setup or is evrtyhign smashed together now and everybody smahed in match regardelss how strong/weak there thing are???
edit3: it has lootcrate now and certain item color locked behind a wall??? i am kinda concerned even trying it now :(

Edited by Palfatreos, 25 May 2017 - 08:31 AM.

#4 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

You can also emulate and run the past mech warrior titles or try mech warrior living legends which is built off crysis warhead. Quick google search can get the links.

#5 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

Just pull the legs off your mechs and give them one gun each... poof! World of Tanks.

#6 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:29 AM

There used to be a game called DUST 514. It was a fps game but it did share many elements of customisation and "building your dropsuit" that was similar to mechwarrior.

Unfortunatly this game is dead and there is no ETA on the next version of the game but it was great when it worked.

#7 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

There isnt much else in the genre, just here-and-gone titles every few years. its why battletech is so long lived. When I'm not in MWO, i switch genres completely.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:56 AM

Titanfall 2, maybe?

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:41 AM

I know right? Heaven forbid that a company have the self-security and confidence in its product that it doesn't fear the discussion of other products, or perhaps even learn about trends in other products that their gamers like which might work for MWO. >.>

For example, once (before we got the "Academy", I suggested something Virtual Reality esque that might be nostalgic for MW2 in terms of appearance which could teach the core gameplay mechanics. A year after I tried the training in Hawken, and was like "Well that's just neat" and discovered that my suggestion was cut and pasted onto Hawken's forums along with similar ideas, leading to what was Hawken's training system.

Someone had literally cut my suggestion for MWO, edited some minor things and gave it as their own post over there and it got (at least partially) into the game in a way similar to what I described. Slightly irked at the lack of credit (my pattern for needless commas is plastered all over it and a lot is word for word). So mixed feelings. But try that.

Sadly I don't much care for Hawken's gameplay, maps are too small, the respawn mechanic is hectic and I'm not a fan of twitching. But I gotta say it was somewhat eerie that suggestions I kept making in the feature section for MWO back in 2012, 2013 kept appearing in Hawken, from the training to the mechanics in their version of the mechbay to give you a sense of scale.

Now a confident developer might take "Oh, well it seems those of our playerbase whom also like Battlefield particularly like this game mode; something similar could really work in MWO..." And churn happier players that play more and spend more.

But meh.

Edited by Koniving, 25 May 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#10 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

Armored Core, Heavy Gear, Front Mission, Chromehounds, Hawken..... (maybe, didn't play it much). Dynasty Warriors Gundam - no customization, but mechs.

There's also a few other super Asian/Gundam like games that didn't get wide releases, Zone of the Enders may have been one but I'm pretty fuzzy on those titles.

#11 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

I've been waiting for Heavy Gear Assault to get ready. But alas ... Posted Image

#12 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

View PostMystere, on 25 May 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

I've been waiting for Heavy Gear Assault to get ready. But alas ... Posted Image

Looks like they have another Heavy Gear game coming out built on the same system when I looked a few weeks ago anyhow. So maybe that means 2 releases - or they just changed the name and scope of the game?

#13 Skanderborg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

Its not really mechwarrior , but most of the space combat sims offer the same custom builds the mechlab offers.

#14 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

View Postsycocys, on 25 May 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Looks like they have another Heavy Gear game coming out built on the same system when I looked a few weeks ago anyhow. So maybe that means 2 releases - or they just changed the name and scope of the game?

As far as I know there is only one. At the very least I am not seeing any reference to another one.

#15 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

View PostMystere, on 25 May 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

As far as I know there is only one. At the very least I am not seeing any reference to another one.

Oooh yeah, after I googled it again it was that they fired back up the board game with new content and moved Assault to steam.

#16 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

[mod]As this topic is about games that are not Mechwarrior Online,
this thread has been moved to Off Topic Discussions.

Duplicate thread has been merged with its original.

Removed off-topic posts discussing moderation.[/mod]

Edited by draiocht, 25 May 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#17 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

Well... if you want a game similar to MWO´. How about Excel? Or do you mean MWO before the skill tree "upgrade"?

#18 G o a t

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:37 AM

A game like MWO would be War Robots

A battletech game which MWO remotely tries to be is MWLL

Edited by G o a t, 26 May 2017 - 02:38 AM.

#19 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

I would say War Robots, but its on an entirely different platform --- Android and iOS. You know, mobile devices. The game massively took off around spring to mid 2016, going from 10 million downloads to April, to 20 million by September, reaching over 45 million by January 2017. That refers to combined Android and iOS. Its consistently on the top 50 of Google Play.

War Robots is both similar and yet different from MWO at the same time.

Edited by Anjian, 01 June 2017 - 02:10 AM.

#20 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:37 AM

Some Pixonic developers left the company when it was purchased by my.com, and set up a new project called Battle Titans. Currently its on pre-alpha and available for testing with iOS and for the CIS region only.

Dig the spider robot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users