What Is A Gg?

45 replies to this topic

#1 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:34 AM

When a game is ended, our team lost at a 0-12, and the opposite team said "GG", what is a gg means for a game like this?Posted Image

#2 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:37 AM

gitgud

#3 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:40 AM

It's not something I would say, but I would think in those circumstances it is definitely what is meant by people who say it.

I just say "good teamwork" generally if my team does well like this, its the safest course.

#4 SteelMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 179 posts
  • Locationon the shifting sands of the meta

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:47 AM

Good game.

Really it should only be said in cross team chat by the losers of the match, after someone on the losing team says it or in very close games e.g. our team is all dead but we won by points.

Otherwise it is more polite to say it in your team's chat.

#5 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:52 AM

It used to be like a handshake at the end of match in most games, whether the match was good or not. Now, people get all butthurt when it gets said. Different generation of gamers I guess

#6 Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 350 posts
  • Location花果山: Water Curtain Cave on the Moutain of Flowers and Fruit

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:56 AM

View Postingramli, on 27 May 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

When a game is ended, our team lost at a 0-12, and the opposite team said "GG", what is a gg means for a game like this?Posted Image

GayGame/Gay/Gamers/GayGuys
It is a masked insult to all non-straight players.
Or simply trolling.
Posted Image

#7 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:58 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 27 May 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

It used to be like a handshake at the end of match in most games, whether the match was good or not. Now, people get all butthurt when it gets said. Different generation of gamers I guess

Well 12-0 is about as far from a "good game" as it gets so it coming off as sarcastic or deadpan humor rather than a handshake is not so much a generational thing really, just a circumstantial thing.

A salute symbol at the start or end is just a safer bet there too.

<o

#8 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:09 AM

It's satire. Comedy. Friendly mockery.
You know, humor stuff.

#9 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:18 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 27 May 2017 - 12:58 AM, said:

Well 12-0 is about as far from a "good game" as it gets so it coming off as sarcastic or deadpan humor rather than a handshake is not so much a generational thing really, just a circumstantial thing.

A salute symbol at the start or end is just a safer bet there too.

<o

Back in the days of Starcraft (not Starcraft II), you would still say GG, even if you crushed your opponent in like 5 mins, (or 2). It is a generational thing. Just like GL HF at the beginning of a match, now that just triggers the "DID YOU JUST ASSUME I CAN'T HAVE FUN!?!?!?" crowd

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 27 May 2017 - 01:19 AM.

#10 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:22 AM

The problem with gg is that everyone interprets it's meaning differently.

For instance i was on the "only the loser should say gg as a token of gratitude if he liked the match"-side for a long time and thought that it's kinda arrogant when the winning team says it.

But currently i interpret gg more in a way of a simple "It made fun to play with you guys" regardless if winning or losing. When the winner of a stomp writes it (or even exaggerates it by writing 'gg close'), i interpret it like Paigan as friendly mockery although i usually don't mock the enemy this way by myself.

So most of the time i have no problem with a gg regardless of the circumstances. Online gaming is already salty enough so i don't need to also take such two-character end-of-game comments too seriously. Posted Image

Edited by Daggett, 27 May 2017 - 01:26 AM.

#11 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:44 AM

Except that its insulting in a stomp. It wasn't a good game for all. It was ****. Better off not say anything.

Now in a 12-10 or similar its appropriate!

#12 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:49 AM

GG stands for Good Game and would normaly be used as form of fair and sportiv congratulation comming from the loosing Team towards the winning Team.

Used by a member of the winning team towards the loosing team it is at least ironic but sometimes considdered as a verbal form of teabagging and sign of bad sportsmanship, rubbing the loss into the loosers eye.

The oposit would be a polite "sorry for the bad game"...or a simple "thx for the match."

But hey this is the internet and a shooter...so what would you expect.

Edited by The Basilisk, 27 May 2017 - 01:52 AM.

#13 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:51 AM

View PostSteelMantis, on 27 May 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

Good game.

Really it should only be said in cross team chat by the losers of the match, after someone on the losing team says it or in very close games e.g. our team is all dead but we won by points.

Otherwise it is more polite to say it in your team's chat.

This is basically the definition of an honest "GG":

Posted Image

#14 RumpledMunky

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:52 AM

When I was a kid you lined up and shook hands with the other team after every game. The scoreline didn't matter it was just what you did. I see it the same way with a gg in multiplayer games. Are some people being ******** sure but that's gonna be the case one way or the other anyway so just move on.

#15 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:52 AM

It's meant to be Good Game, in the meaning that it was likely a fun game for both sides no matter who won, i.e. it was a fair and even match that was fought well and which outcome was not decided in the first minute of playing.

However, in this game the term has been corrupted as it is invariably being used by the winners after a stomp, showing obvious disrespect towards the opponent.

And no, you cannot use "gg" to mean "Oh, I'm sorry you had a miserable time, but it was great fun for me!".

#16 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:28 AM

I toss an innocent GG out most matches without looking at the score. I've been guilty of a few poorly placed GGs.

I never mean to bother anyone with it, I take no sadistic pleasure in calling a huge blowout a good game for all. Just happens sometimes.

#17 DRlFTER

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:32 AM

This. For those coming from a sports background, after the match you shake hands and say "good game". It's just basic sportsmanship, and a sign of respect to those that play. We are all part of this MWO community, a pretty small niche of people in this world. Showing some sportsmanship and respect to your fellow players, particularly after a bad beat, improves how players perceive the community and the game.

Edited by DRlFTER, 27 May 2017 - 03:38 AM.

#18 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:36 AM

View PostDRlFTER, on 27 May 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

This. I played over two decades of sports, and coach for another. After the match you shake hands and say "good game". Just basic sportsmanship.
Handshakes and greetings in real sports where you meet physically and can judge moods, facial expressions and tone of voice doesn't translate well to pc gaming. IMO gg is not the same thing at all.

#19 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:41 AM

GG could mean very different things, from an insult to a compliment - i generally receive it as a simple and easy way to "shake hands" at the end of the game whether it was send like that or not...

then again, i tend to ignore most if not all of the non related comms and only share information about what happens during a game.

Edited by B3R3ND, 27 May 2017 - 03:43 AM.

#20 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:45 AM

I never say "GG" unless it was close or at least hard fought. Lopsided victories are not much fun when I either win or lose. Some people however seem to just say it out of habit regardless of how the match went, which I find rather bizarre. Yet others claim it's all in the name of good sportsmanship. It is difficult to tell sometimes if people intend it to be sportsmanship or sarcasm in chat. I usually ignore players saying it if the game wasn't close.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users