#1 mooneyboys

• PipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

Help!

I was Modifying mechs in the mechlab, accepted a group invite, went to go change a song I was listening to, and then came back, and my screen went into a super small screen, I couldn't do anything. I tried closing it out and re-opening it, and now its worse because the opening menu is in the way and I can't close it!

Posted Image

I'm not tech savvy, I have no idea how to fix please. Please help

EDIT: picture broke? so here's the link.

Edited by mooneyboys, 27 May 2017 - 06:52 AM.

#2 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:01 AM

normally, alt-enter will tell a program to go into fullscreen mode, from there you should be able to fix it, failing that, you could modify or delete the file called attributes.xml, that you'll find somewhere around
C:\Users\<USER NAME>\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Profiles\<PROFILE NAME>

Edited by NARC BAIT, 29 May 2017 - 06:01 AM.

#3 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:05 AM

Same issue just happened to me.

Will look for a solution and update if I find something.

EDIT:

Thought I'd found something by loading the XML file in notepad and changing the resolution values (width and height). Loaded up in full screen like it used to but the resolution tab in the video options was blank. Figured I'd play around with the advanced options but as soon as I clicked one of these the game crashed. This crash was repeatable.

I'm gonna uninstall, flush the profile folder and start fresh. Hopefully that works.

Edited by N a p e s, 31 October 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#4 Mhyth

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

Having the same problem when modify settings. The game client changes to a small window with the contents far bigger than the window size that only a small portion shows. Using alt-enter or deleting the attributes.xml previously allowed access to modify settings again but as mentioned above the Screen Resolution box is simply blank with no ability to set a resolution.

The last time this happened the only change made was to the audio volume. Applying the changes completely farked the graphics and now there seems to be no way to reset to a working resolution.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

First, just as Narc Bait posted, go to C:\Users\windows log in name ie Kittie\Saved Games\Mechwarrior Online\Profile\pilots name ie Tarl Cabot\ locate attributes.xml and delete.

The other questions would be, playing in Full Screen Mode or Full Windowed Mode (borderless) or Windowed Mode? IF Full Screen mode, was the resolution being used the SAME as your desktop? Suggest play in full windowed mode to bypass potential issues. That small windowed mode

Windows, GPU drivers and games do not always play nice when alt-tabbing out from Full Screen and this has been happening for a very long time. Overwatch, one of the newest games was having issues similar to this. Tis amazing how many refused to play in Full Windowed Mode (borderless). For some it was another program's overlay screens. Close program appears to fix it for them. None reported having this issue with Full Windowed, that was a resolution for a few.

A game update can generate wide spread issues til resolved, after that it is more with the OS and GPU drivers interactions. When alt-tabbing, that forces the game window to be redrawn. Any communication issue, hangup, corruption, etc will end in an unsatisfactory result.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 09 December 2017 - 09:42 AM.

#6 admiralbenbow123

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:01 AM

I know how to fix this problem: alt+tab to your desktop and than alt+tab back to mwo. This worked for me every single time and it should hopefully work for you.

#7 Kestrel Atreides

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

I tried deleting the attributes.xml file and reopening mwo. That did not fix the tiny window issue.

I deleted these lines from the attributes.xml file mentioned in other replies:
<Attr name="OptionCfg.r_Height" value="3"/>
<Attr name="OptionCfg.r_Width" value="3"/>

This did fix the tiny window for me, but now I don't have the screen resolution choices in the ingame settings.
I think these height and width values are pulled by the game from the PC.

I've tried the "mwo repair tool" available in the mwo portal (where you would normally click "Play").
I've tried resetting all the settings in the ingame settings.

The Height and Width seem to be backwards:
<Attr name="OptionCfg.r_Height" value="720"/>
<Attr name="OptionCfg.r_Width" value="1280"/>

Would be a correct value.

Edited by Kestrel Atreides, 02 May 2019 - 06:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users