46 replies to this topic

#1 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

So I played this game for a solid 3 years from closed beta, through the launch of clans and the first season of 'beta' FP.
I lost interest but the recent changes to the skill tree have me intreagued, but I am so lost looking at the numbers. I haven't logged in yet but I'm curious how the game is doing now?
Do the skill trees bring back build diversity at all? I rarely played 'meta' for the last year of things and really like my lighter PPC sniper mechs, is this more or less viable with the current changes?

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

Skill tree had diversified the loadouts, as even the same exact variants with same exact builds now have different stats. IS PPC snipers got heavily nerfed due to velocity quirk reduction but the play style is completely fine.

Just hop in and try it out yourself. Best way to know.

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 May 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

Skill tree had diversified the loadouts,

A bit more LRMS than normal, but diversified?
Not that I've seen. Same meta PPFLD from the clanners and mostly laser boating fro the IS is what I am seeing.

But to answer the OP's question: yes. It is worth giving it a try. If you are not keen n the changes, you can always walk away. New tech is coming in July so that is going to up end things even more. For good or ill, this is an interesting time to be playing the game.

#4 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:09 AM

The responses you receive will inevitably say more about the person posting than they will answer your question. Enjoy and welcome back.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

View PostBud Crue, on 27 May 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

A bit more LRMS than normal, but diversified?
Not that I've seen. Same meta PPFLD from the clanners and mostly laser boating fro the IS is what I am seeing.

C/AC2 is far more popular now thanks to cooldown and ammo skills. LBX is used more thanks to spread reduction skill.

#6 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

New skill tree is like a second mech bay. Whole new layer of customization.

#7 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:11 AM

I tried my Orion VA out, but not the others (own all the Orions except the Protector). Anyway, even with all the cooldowns I could snap up, it still doesn't have the RoF on missiles that it did with quirks and the old skill system. Still, it worked just fine. Granted, my VA is a bit of a mixed loadout. 300 standard engine, 2xML, 1xAC20, 4xLRM5. What's really going to be interesting is the timeline jump in about a month and a half, totally going for a light engine and probably a UAC20.

#8 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 May 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

C/AC2 is far more popular now thanks to cooldown and ammo skills. LBX is used more thanks to spread reduction skill.

I trust you. I just am not seeing it so far (admittedly I was on minimally last week and last night was my first extended session of play).

#9 Tobi Angul

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

View PostEscef, on 27 May 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

I tried my Orion VA out, but not the others (own all the Orions except the Protector). Anyway, even with all the cooldowns I could snap up, it still doesn't have the RoF on missiles that it did with quirks and the old skill system. Still, it worked just fine. Granted, my VA is a bit of a mixed loadout. 300 standard engine, 2xML, 1xAC20, 4xLRM5. What's really going to be interesting is the timeline jump in about a month and a half, totally going for a light engine and probably a UAC20.

Keep in mind that everyone else also has slower rates of fire

#10 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

I finally started skilling up more Mechs and the OP just needs to jump in and try the game and see if he will
like it

#11 Knighthawk26

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 131 posts
  • LocationBlack Forest

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

The skill tree is ok. Overall the game is better, good balance, some new stuff. Come back and join us

#12 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

Okay yeah that's enough feedback to make me patch it up haha, we will see if I can learn an entire new system...

#13 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:35 AM

I did a vid where I talked about how to utilize the skill tree, but it's a bit long, and I overlooked a thing or two, but hopefully it helps someone, y'know?

#14 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

Thanks, I'll at least check it out as a place to start

#15 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

I think PGI is also going to do a full rebalance of Energy weapons soon. And new weapons are also coming soon!

#16 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

If not now. Then come back for the civil war update. All that new tech. Course it might help to know the skill tree before that happens. So you're not overwhelmed.

#17 Logan812

• PipPipPip
  • Private
  • 76 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

Right now? I'd say that whatever your answer was when you left will be the same now. So, if you left because you disliked the game then, chances are you'd still feel the same.

However, the FedCom Civil War update is coming soon, and that would be a very good time to check it out again. For one thing, IS and Clan tech is a lot closer in that era (which really benefitted Battletech as a whole since it's not nearly as lopsided like the Clan Invasion.)

Edited by Logan812, 27 May 2017 - 03:06 PM.

#18 Gaeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

After some fooling around I grudgingly admit the skill tree isn't a bad thing - definitely a rough change, but similar to Heroes of the Storm recent revamp it cuts leveling up a mech into many small steps, which is good.

#19 v4skunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

View PostLucky Moniker, on 27 May 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

So I played this game for a solid 3 years from closed beta, through the launch of clans and the first season of 'beta' FP.
I lost interest but the recent changes to the skill tree have me intreagued, but I am so lost looking at the numbers. I haven't logged in yet but I'm curious how the game is doing now?
Do the skill trees bring back build diversity at all? I rarely played 'meta' for the last year of things and really like my lighter PPC sniper mechs, is this more or less viable with the current changes?

Come back, i stopped playing just after beta ended, the game was bad at the time.
I've been playing for 3-4 weeks, it is awesome now.

#20 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

Okay yeah that's enough feedback to make me patch it up haha, we will see if I can learn an entire new system...

I hope you report back what you think

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users